Louisiana trying to ban death penalty?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ2VET

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 2, 2017
    Ponchatoula, La.
    Seen that last night. I think it is a truly stupid idea. Yea, lets erase the highest crime deterant in the land, it will work as good as the Gun Free zones.

I think public executions needs to be brought back into play and I also think that prosecutors/cops who ignore/hide evidence and convict an innocent should be able to be held personally liable.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    The appeals cost us millions. And when was the last time the state actually put someone down?
    Cheaper to get rid of it. I’m not religious so death to me would be an easy way out as opposed to serving life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I know Dan well on a personal basis and frankly this has had me baffled from the start. It is sad but I think he either sold out somehow or can’t/won’t get past the religious argument. Lost my respect and told him so to his face.

Can’t explain anything about the world I live in anymore. Don’t even recognize it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I am for the death penalty. I believe if utilized correctly, it can be a deterrent. But I believe the correct utilization would be carrying out the sentence quickly. All of the appeals delay it and I believe this reduces its value as a deterrent. Removing the deterrent aspect, the death penalty is more of "an eye for an eye" punishment.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I am for the death penalty. I believe if utilized correctly, it can be a deterrent. But I believe the correct utilization would be carrying out the sentence quickly. All of the appeals delay it and I believe this reduces its value as a deterrent. Removing the deterrent aspect, the death penalty is more of "an eye for an eye" punishment.

Yep. I’m betting more of them die from other reasons on death row

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    The appeals cost us millions. And when was the last time the state actually put someone down?
    Cheaper to get rid of it. I’m not religious so death to me would be an easy way out as opposed to serving life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2010 was the last time. They request delay on every one that comes up.

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I really waffle on the question of the death penalty.

There are some cases where it seems like the only correct punishment ... like Dakota Theriot. From what I've read there's not a shadow of a doubt that he did it, so let him hang.

But there's a lot of cases that aren't quite as cut-and-dried, and I do wonder how many innocent people we've sent to the gallows over the years.

Mike

Roadhazzard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Near Monroe
    I was once a supporter of the death penalty. But then I started to notice how many people who had been on death row for years, sometimes decades, were being proven innocent after the fact, usually due to improvements in DNA technology. Although I can also remember instances where witnesses recanted their testimony saying they had been intimidated by prosecutors to lie or perhaps lied because they thought that's what people wanted to hear. I don't have citations or statistics, but the gestalt seemed to indicate that there were just too many of these cases for my personal comfort.

For this reason I have become an opponent of the death penalty in general. Now please do not misunderstand me. I am far far away from being a liberal progressive social justice warrior tree hugger kind of dude. However, to me, one of the ultimate horrors is when the state kills an innocent man or woman. I don't want to be any part of that, no matter how small, even if it is only in my capacity as a citizen of this great state and nation.

When I have had discussions regarding this, many have said "but there are so many cases in which guilt or innocence is obvious." My answer has been "Yes, but I'm sure the people involved in those cases mentioned above thought that it was obvious the man was guilty." (unless the prosecutor or other official either knew the truth or was simply not interested in the truth. A special place in Hell has probably got their name on it for anyone like that.) Also, as I have gotten older and understand the world and people better, well I hope I understand them better, I am better able to see the flaws in our justice system which sometimes doesn't seem to be a genuine search for the truth. Although, despite its flaws our system of justice is still the best ever created by humans.

Another common response is that I bet they did "something." With that "something" never defined. My answer to that is usually "--Sigh--, no no no, if we are going to administer the ultimate punishment, then we really need to be sure." I understand that some people commit crimes that shock the conscience of decent men. But there are other ways to punish.

So, in the end I decided to take Gandalf's advice.
    ".... do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement."

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I was once a supporter of the death penalty. But then I started to notice how many people who had been on death row for years, sometimes decades, were being proven innocent after the fact, usually due to improvements in DNA technology. Although I can also remember instances where witnesses recanted their testimony saying they had been intimidated by prosecutors to lie or perhaps lied because they thought that's what people wanted to hear. I don't have citations or statistics, but the gestalt seemed to indicate that there were just too many of these cases for my personal comfort.

For this reason I have become an opponent of the death penalty in general. Now please do not misunderstand me. I am far far away from being a liberal progressive social justice warrior tree hugger kind of dude. However, to me, one of the ultimate horrors is when the state kills an innocent man or woman. I don't want to be any part of that, no matter how small, even if it is only in my capacity as a citizen of this great state and nation.

Being a thinking person isn't a bad thing, and you much more articulately outlined my thoughts on this. Thank you.

I'd much rather have some terrible people (whose guilt is not in question) spend the rest of their lives in prison and have the death penalty abolished. In my mind, that's better than keeping the death penalty and risk putting innocent people to death. And yes, I know that some people truly deserve it, and I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over them being executed ... but what about those that get railroaded by a corrupt justice system? Please don't tell me that this has never happened.

Mike

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    There may be some innocent people on death row but most are guilty and most have mountains of irrefutable evidence, but they are still allowed to push the date off. If I got a speeding ticket there is probably 1/100th evidence proving I was guilty but I don’t get to tell the judge to wait before you enforce the fine. A human life is a precious thing so we need to be certain, but the vast majority of death row inmates spend 30 years breathing after the irrefutable mountain evidence convicted them. As a nation we struggled with racial issues clouding our judgement and convicting innocent men, but I would imagine 99.999999999999% of those guys are dead or free today. It’s time to stop tiptoeing around the issue and fix the system. If the conviction meets the requirements for death row the convict shouldn’t breath 12 months later. If the requirements for death row aren’t met than maybe he should be a free man. Life in prison for murder shouldn’t exist.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There may be some innocent people on death row but most are guilty and most have mountains of irrefutable evidence, but they are still allowed to push the date off. If I got a speeding ticket there is probably 1/100th evidence proving I was guilty but I don’t get to tell the judge to wait before you enforce the fine. A human life is a precious thing so we need to be certain, but the vast majority of death row inmates spend 30 years breathing after the irrefutable mountain evidence convicted them. As a nation we struggled with racial issues clouding our judgement and convicting innocent men, but I would imagine 99.999999999999% of those guys are dead or free today. It’s time to stop tiptoeing around the issue and fix the system. If the conviction meets the requirements for death row the convict shouldn’t breath 12 months later. If the requirements for death row aren’t met than maybe he should be a free man. Life in prison for murder shouldn’t exist.

The problem is, we have an imperfect system of justice. Appeals and such exist to try to correct these wrongs, but how do you correct the wrong from executing the wrong person?

And even if 99.9% of people on death row are guilty (I very much doubt this, but we'll go with it for now) ... will you be the one to tell the families of the wrongly-executed that it was worth it? I sure wouldn't want to have to do that.

Mike

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    The problem is, we have an imperfect system of justice. Appeals and such exist to try to correct these wrongs, but how do you correct the wrong from executing the wrong person?

And even if 99.9% of people on death row are guilty (I very much doubt this, but we'll go with it for now) ... will you be the one to tell the families of the wrongly-executed that it was worth it? I sure wouldn't want to have to do that.

Mike

Agreed let’s no argue the number of potential innocent on death row. For the sake of discussion let’s say it’s 75%. Heck let’s make it 60%. Of that 60%, 100% of those guys will spend decades putting of the inevitable and in the mean time we feed and clothe and house and keep them healthy until we kill them. There is no doubt that killing an innocent person is not something we want to promote but an innocent person shouldn’t have to spend 30 years getting themselves out the hot seat. Our justice system is flawed but I bet 10,000 (talking the whole system not just death row) guilty men walk for ever one innocent who spends his life (any amount of time really) in jail trying to prove his innocence.

Last edited:

ozarkpugs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2018
    US Zanoni mo
    I , like Roadhazzard , was for it now I'm against it for the same reasons . In the past couple of years my whole outlook on the justice system has changed . Too many innocent men are sentenced to prison and death when the prosecutor held back evidence that would set them free . A Mo. State trooper ,who is a personal friend ,and some other good cops spent 6 years getting an innocent man freed from prison . The prosecutor and state police investigator had proof from the FBI lab that he was innocent and held the evidence from the defense . How many times does this happen ? In my opinion anyone who is in prison now who could be found guilty or innocent through DNA tests which were not available or used should get a free DNA analysis. If it is found a LEO or prosecutor lies to the jury or hide evidence they should be given the same sentence they asked the person to get . Then I would say maybe the death penalty is ok .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    BooHoo,BooHoo, Everyone on death row is innocent,That's how they got there in the first place....

How about we bring back the death sentence for baby rapers and killers?

You know, Tie them to a tree and cut off their genitals...

Stuff it in their mouths so the may reflect upon their sins for another minute or two !

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    BooHoo,BooHoo, Everyone on death row is innocent,That's how they got there in the first place....

How about we bring back the death sentence for baby rapers and killers?

You know, Tie them to a tree and cut off their genitals...

Stuff it in their mouths so the may reflect upon their sins for another minute or two !

Scarecrow argument. Nobody is arguing that everyone on death row is innocent. In fact, I think I even said that I believe most of them are.

What do you say to the families of people that are wrongly executed for crimes they didn't commit?

Mike

Troedoff

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Prairieville
    Hardly a scare crow argument. I wonder if this senator has any ties to the current prison system, and how they get paid. Prisoners per head on average cost more than the average median income of some states. Only 622 million in Louisiana. I am all for giving a guy his day in court, and many of the cases that are being turned over are cases that are many years old. As the years go by, the number of incarcerated innocent people will go down. I am all for the death penalty, because it is supposed to be a deterrent rather than a final punishment. That is the problem with they system as a whole today. The punishments are supposed to be harsh, to encourage human behavior. Like everything else though, we have watered it all down to the point that no one really cares. Religion, watered down, Politics, watered down, Society, watered down, Morality, watered down, Responsibility, watered down, Self Control, watered down, Freedom, watered down. Why not just continue to water down the justice system as well.

Any system where a few people profit off of the many people, especially those on the receiving end of our tax dollars, will have a certain amount of corruption. The masses today value money, and power over all else. As long as our relaxed moral code is accepted, and continues to become more relaxed our society will continue to devolve into madness.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Scarecrow argument. Nobody is arguing that everyone on death row is innocent. In fact, I think I even said that I believe most of them are.

What do you say to the families of people that are wrongly executed for crimes they didn't commit?

Mike

You say,Oops,Here's 20 million of the states tax dollars like everyone else who screws up and pulls the trigger on the wrong dude...

In all actuality the law should go after the ones who bared false witness against a proven innocent person....Let them pull a few years in the lock-up

Top Bottom