Buying a firearm from individual in another state?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NOLAGT

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2016
    Lafayette
    Someone in another state has a stripped lower of loke to buy. Can he ship it to my FFL with a bill of sale and I transfer it into my name? Or does he have to bring it to a FFL there and have that FFL send to my FFL?

TIA

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Someone in another state has a stripped lower of loke to buy. Can he ship it to my FFL with a bill of sale and I transfer it into my name? Or does he have to bring it to a FFL there and have that FFL send to my FFL?

TIA

To my best understanding...

Unless he has a FFL himself, he would need to bring it to an FFL and ship it to one of your choice. His FFL will contact yours and exchange copies of their FFL paperwork... then ship.

Unless he lives close... then he can just come to Louisiana and hand it to you! lol. You just can't cross state lines, take possession of it, and then cross back.

I may be wrong on this... so you may want to contact your local FFL and ask them.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    He can ship it to your FFL along with Bill of Sale and copy of his Driver's License. This is perfectly legal but your FFL may not accept from a non-FFL. It has to be transferred to your FFL. The person selling the lower can't just cross the state line and hand it to you, no more than you can cross the state line and just pick it up from him, at least for a legal transfer.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

TIA

My understanding of federal law is that the seller can ship the firearm (in this case, the stripped lower is the serialized part that makes it a gun) to an FFL in Louisiana. The dealer here would then transfer the lower to you on a 4473.

The seller will need to make sure he is also compliant with whatever state laws may be in place surrounding transfers. He/she will also need to comply with the laws surrounding the shipping. For instance: it is not legal for a private seller to ship a handgun via USPS, but it is legal to ship a long gun.

And the best advice is to not take legal advice from people on the internet. :-)

Mike

NOLAGT

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2016
    Lafayette
    I am asking a few people including my ffl. I just want to make sure of everything. I allways thought within Louisiana I didn’t need to transfer and a BOS was good...did that with some on here. This is the first out of state one and I assumed it would need to be FFL to FFL then to me. But my ffl said they just needed the BOS and maybe the DL copy I’ll have to look what they told me. I had posted here at the same time and see the same aswhat the ffl said. Not that I don’t trust them...I just want to make sure. I like keeping my guns lol.

So as long as it’s legal in his state to ship it out with a BOS and he uses fedex or ups everything should be gtg.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom