HB 235 - Stand your ground law extended to church’s

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    An important thing to note in this bill is that it does not give CHP holders permission to carry in a church. It merely changes the affirmative defense provision should someone have to defend themselves in a church. The weapon must still be legally possessed which means either open carry (which is not illegal in a church) or concealed with the pastor's permission.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    An important thing to note in this bill is that it does not give CHP holders permission to carry in a church. It merely changes the affirmative defense provision should someone have to defend themselves in a church. The weapon must still be legally possessed which means either open carry (which is not illegal in a church) or concealed with the pastor's permission.

I Seriously Doubt any Church allowing Open Carry. I think they would be redirected before they arrived at the door.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    I Seriously Doubt any Church allowing Open Carry. I think they would be redirected before they arrived at the door.

You may be right, but that's not the point of my post.

The point is that, given the media coverage, people with valid CHPs may think that this will override the provisions of the CHP law. It does not. All it does is change what happens after you shoot someone in a church. If you are legally carrying, you will likely be protected by this in a justifiable defense scenario. If you are not legally carrying, you will not be protected by it - even if you shoot a jihadi terrorist bent on mayhem (although if I were a prosecutor on that, I would be loathe to go after someone who saved a whole church full of kids from this).

I'll leave it to an actual lawyer to explain the fine points of affirmative defense, but that is all that this bill will do.

georg jetson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Any church meeting place that I've open carried in has never been an issue. I'm usually thanked.

Top Bottom