Join BayouShooter For Free
CS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Info Menu

Optics Recommendation for Pig Hunt at Night

Hey guys,
    So it seems I found some private land to hunt on which opens up my options quite a bit! I was thinking about trying to go Pig Hunting at night. I immediately realized I would probably need some sort of low-light optic, either Night Vision or IR/Thermal, or maybe not, I don't know much about this. I figure having a flashlight on the whole time would scare away pigs. From what I heard, the only optics like that that are worth a damn are really expensive, Do you guys know of any cheaper stuff that will work for pig hunting? Any other tips or methods that you guys figured out to avoid needing expensive optics for night hunts? Can I put a light by some bait? or will the light scare the pigs away from the bait?
    Thanks for the help guys!

1911 cool-aid drinker

User Info Menu

Green light does not scare them.
    Pulsar makes a really nice IR unit for a little under 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

Okay so a mounted green light sounds like a good idea then! Thanks! I'll probobly put together a head mounted kit eventually...

Marksman

User Info Menu

I was thinking about starting a thread on which entry level thermal sights to consider for backyard piggies too...I'll just watch this thread a while!

Marksman

User Info Menu

PVS14 and an IR laser is pretty expensive but very effective
    Why .45? Because they don't make a .46!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Trijicon Accupoint or Leupold firedot and a *nightstick green Cree* flashlight works great for 150yrds in pitch black... never had a hog spook to a green light

Marksman

User Info Menu

I have 2 ATN X-Sight night vision scopes.
    Now they ran me $700 each.
    There is a learning curve to get used to them.
    They need some light to work.
    Moon light is good. They come with lights that emmiters ( I don't remember the type) they are weak. I have bought one yet but they sell a much more powerful light emitter.
    They also record the shot. These are day & night vision scopes.

Norsewolf

-Global Mod-
    Caballoloco

User Info Menu

Give Elusive Wildlife a look. I have used their green light mounted to my gun and the green feeder light with motion sensor. I run a Meopta with a #4 reticle. Works great with the thick posts to see in the low light.

http://https://elusivewildlife.com/shop/hunting-lights/tactical-lights-90.html
    Last edited by freedive10; May 14th, 2019 at 08:26 PM.
    "Survival is a side effect of winning"- Pat Rogers

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"- Edmund Burke

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"If You Ain't Bleeding, You Ain't Training!"- Freedive10

Marksman

User Info Menu

I’ve had a ATN X-Sight NV scope for a couple years now and it has been great. They make a 4K model now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ,——'¯¯';=====±—-
    !‚–’¯¯ƒ¹¶

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor481 View Post
    PVS14 and an IR laser is pretty expensive but very effective
    Thanks! That's the first thing I considered, way outside my budget, but Definitely going that route for a helmet rig ONE DAY... outside my price range right now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigchillin83 View Post
    Trijicon Accupoint or Leupold firedot and a *nightstick green Cree* flashlight works great for 150yrds in pitch black... never had a hog spook to a green light
    Yeah I've seen a lot of support for the "green light method" Thanks for the tip!