Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Best budget AR?

No sir, I ain't.

User Info Menu

Best budget AR?

I'm thinking about buying my first AR (maybe). As far as a basic, reliable AR with iron sights, what would you recommend?

I'm not looking for fancy, just a gun that will do it's job. Don't want a bunch of features.
    Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop.

On Target

User Info Menu

Don't know what your budget is, but I went with the Ruger AR-556 for around $650. I am not an AR expert, but have been happy with my decision.

Marksman

User Info Menu

They just had a S&W new for $449 on sale somewhere. Iíll see if I can find it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Censored by "them"

Marksman

User Info Menu

https://www.smga.com/smith-and-wesso...-ii-556nato-69

Censored by "them"

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

People have varying opinions on Palmetto State Armory but they're going to be about as no frills as you can get. I have a couple of their bcg's, an upper, and a lower. I've never had any issues with they. They're not fancy but they have performed so far when I've needed them to. You said you wanted something reliable but you didn't say what the use would be. The use could determine how "budget" you may want to go. With all that being said, PSA has a couple things on sale.

$279 for a "bring your own lower."

or

$219 for and upper and $129 for a lower.

enthusiast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOR51 View Post
    They just had a S&W new for $449 on sale somewhere. I’ll see if I can find it

I have a m&p15 OR from 10 years ago, runs without a hiccup, shoots any type of ammo. Back then it was 900 bucks, now you can get that one for 450, I wouldn’t hesitate to get one if I didn’t already own a dozen rifles now.

You might be able to build one for 4-500 but it’s nice to know you have a factory rifle, from a reputable company with a warranty, should you ever need to use it.
    Stephen

No sir, I ain't.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOR51 View Post
    https://www.smga.com/smith-and-wesso...-ii-556nato-69

Nice.
    Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop.

Moving forward

User Info Menu

The sport 2 has numerous reviews on YouTube including a run to failure in which it caught fire before failing. Saying that to say it’s going to be hard to beat it for the money.

No sir, I ain't.

User Info Menu

I'm not opposed to building one, just want a solid gun for as little money as needed. ARs really aren't my thing, but I realize their value.

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Go for the S&W at $450. A mixmaster home build will be much harder to sell if you ever decide to part ways with it, especially if it’s built with low end parts.

Mike
    ΦΒΚ. Honi soit qui mal y pense.