Ammo Question for the AR Pistol Guys in 300 Blackout

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    What ammo do you guys use? Just built the gun and have a can for it. 8.5" barrel. Not shooting hogs with it. Mainly a range toy for now. Sub and supersonic recommendations please. Anyone reload 300 Blackout?

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    My go to for FMJ/range supers is 125g Speer TNT’s. Have loaded a couple thousand of these and they are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    What ammo do you guys use? Just built the gun and have a can for it. 8.5" barrel. Not shooting hogs with it. Mainly a range toy for now. Sub and supersonic recommendations please. Anyone reload 300 Blackout?

10.2gr of aa1680 works well with Hornady 208gr pills in my 10*. Plenty of gas in mine that allows it to function 100% and remains subsonic.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If you’re just plinking/range hopping, buy the cheapest rounds you can find and make sure to save the brass.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    The Hornady 190 gr SubX is a great off-the-shelf round. It is louder, reliably cycles, and expands at low velocities. First bullet I've seen designed to expand at low velocity. I reload the Hornady 220 gr gr interlock over AAC-9 powder. I've got it movie quiet and cycling reliably. It's actually a bit of work getting the right mix for a load. Small powder variations make it go super or not cycle. You also need to play around with springs, buffer springs, and buffer weights. Even with all the trials, it is quite satisfying when you get it to work. The bullets on my sub-sonic load will start to yaw after 50 yards. Remember, it is a pistol round designed to be quiet. If I want to shoot super I change out the buffer and spring. I have a write up on my trials. PM me and I'll send it to you. Good luck.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    The Hornady 190 gr SubX is a great off-the-shelf round. It is louder, reliably cycles, and expands at low velocities. First bullet I've seen designed to expand at low velocity. I reload the Hornady 220 gr gr interlock over AAC-9 powder. I've got it movie quiet and cycling reliably. It's actually a bit of work getting the right mix for a load. Small powder variations make it go super or not cycle. You also need to play around with springs, buffer springs, and buffer weights. Even with all the trials, it is quite satisfying when you get it to work. The bullets on my sub-sonic load will start to yaw after 50 yards. Remember, it is a pistol round designed to be quiet. If I want to shoot super I change out the buffer and spring. I have a write up on my trials. PM me and I'll send it to you. Good luck.

I bought an off the shelf buffer spring and an H carbine buffer. Worked great with Remington 220gr subs today. Was the first time I shot the gun.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

How reliable is the SubX expansion. I have struggled with Hornady expanding hunting rounds and finally decided against using them for deer hunting.

I still use their critical defense rounds in my sidearms for now. I’ve never done any scientific testing on any of them, but I know I won’t lose another deer to a Hornady.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Well I was wondering around the Internet after posting in this thread earlier and stumbled across this company.

https://fortscottmunitions.com/collections/rifle-ammunition

The make Solid copper projects that tumble on impact supposedly.

Probably be a horrible idea for defensive rounds but for hunting if it worked would be amazing. I saw a few videos, but I’m always the sceptic.

Top Bottom