Join BayouShooter For Free
Cajun Ammo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blackhawk

User Info Menu

I'd first clean off the rust using the electrolysis method, all you need is a battery charger, plastic bucket, and some sodium carbonate from Walmart. I tried it on a rusty pot and it worked.

http://antique-engines.com/electrol.asp

Saves a lot of effort, and then you can work on cleaning/polishing those areas that really need it.
    Phu Bai, Vietnam, 1968-69
    Baghdad, Iraq, 2004-05

Intermediate

User Info Menu

Flitz is a great polish for oxidation and the like but it does remove metal if not careful. Sometimes I learn things the hard way
    Living the dream!

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

All polished contain abavasive of some type. Chemical or Mechanical some have both.
    If you get some EvapoRust you can safely soak it to get rid of rust. HarborFrieght sells it.

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

In the auto world guys derust then put a matte or polished surface or paint on whatever after.
    Last edited by 340six; May 17th, 2019 at 05:51 PM.

User Info Menu

I hope that thing is inert, meaning somewhere along the line the explosive material was removed..

I have a 75mm shell casing an uncle by marriage gave me. He said was fired in WWI by his father, i have no way of knowing that. He gave it to me when i was in high school, back about 1961-62. My father and i had an old wood lathe and i got a piece of 4x4 oak and i turned a "shell, or bullet piece" for it which looks quite attractive. The same uncle was a Msgt in USAF and got me a 57mm recoilless rifle practice round. It was a sub caliber piece, with a 30 cal and a 22 LR barrel for shooting at different distances. My father and I used the 30 cal barrel and made a lamp out of it

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jkingrph View Post
    I hope that thing is inert, meaning somewhere along the line the explosive material was removed..

I have a 75mm shell casing an uncle by marriage gave me. He said was fired in WWI by his father, i have no way of knowing that. He gave it to me when i was in high school, back about 1961-62. My father and i had an old wood lathe and i got a piece of 4x4 oak and i turned a "shell, or bullet piece" for it which looks quite attractive. The same uncle was a Msgt in USAF and got me a 57mm recoilless rifle practice round. It was a sub caliber piece, with a 30 cal and a 22 LR barrel for shooting at different distances. My father and I used the 30 cal barrel and made a lamp out of it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worthless.gif 
Views:	4 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	86181  
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.