Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gunlover

Premium Member

User Info Menu

WW 1 or 2 British 75 mm shrapnel shell restoration

Any one have any experience restoring one of these . It's been sitting in a garage for 20 yrs . Lots of surface rust .
    Any advice here helps.

oldbie

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Pics?

It is inert, right? I know someone else that recently discovered a live japanese wwii grenade in a garage. They get a bit unstable over time
    Last edited by LACamper; May 16th, 2019 at 05:13 AM.
    "Be water, my friend..."

Marksman

User Info Menu

A Bayoushooter member told me about Flitz polish. Works really well without removing any metal. Grab some Harbor Freight polishing wheels for your drill. Most definitely make sure it's inert before you go building up a static charge in the thing. And pics?
    ​"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."

Marksman

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dwhaley929 View Post
    A Bayoushooter member told me about Flitz polish. Works really well without removing any metal. Grab some Harbor Freight polishing wheels for your drill. Most definitely make sure it's inert before you go building up a static charge in the thing. And pics?
    *Every* polishing operation removes metal. That's how polishing works. Flitz and a polishing wheel on a drill or a bench grinder is most definitely abrasive. Rubbing a bit of Flitz by hand is only going to remove a microscopic amount of metal, but it is still abrasive.

This is why polished guns often have softer edges, and why so many collectors wrinkle their nose at a polished gun.

FWIW ... I had Smith & Wesson polish my 686 BBQ gun. Even with the factory polishing a few of the edges were a bit more rounded. Probably hurt its collectible value a bit, but I sure do enjoy it.

Mike
    ΦΒΚ. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonPle View Post
    Any one have any experience restoring one of these . It's been sitting in a garage for 20 yrs . Lots of surface rust .
    Any advice here helps.
    What does it say on the end? A few pict's would help out......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shell.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	86034  
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Gunlover

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I'll load up some pics when I get home tonight .
    Yes it is absolutely inert .
    It originally belonged to a ww1Attachment 86041 vet and when he passed his daughter stuck everything outside in a shed .
    It's not the shell casing , it's the whole upper "bullet" part w/ timer still in tact.

That pic is what it's supposed to look like.

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

Depends on what you consider restoration is. Or should I say what you want or hope the end results will be.
    I have a background restoring SS Trim for Classic Autos.
    That involves Straightening. Sanding. From Corse to Light and Multi Step Polishing. I also sand and custom polish aluminium parts, intakes even 2 entire transmissions. I have some piles of Steel before it was triple plated. So that involves Blasting or Bead Blasting. Grinding Sanding and Polishing Prior to Plating. A friend owns a Plating Shop so did all my own work and had him run the stuff.
    Doing the wrong thing can and will damage a,part. Or make it take more work to do.
    Thus my question.
    I am able to put you on the right track. But need more info.
    And yes I have done some Pimp style hand guns as well as bead blasted and made them look new again. I do not do much now just sable and do a few here and there for myself. Doing another trans case. And , a Intake. At the present.

Gunlover

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Monolithic Mentor

User Info Menu

It's going to take more than Flitz !

Gunlover

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I got the time and patience .
    I ain't skerrd !!
    I like to get dirty !
    I'm not trying to have it expertly restored , but it'd make for a nice table piece in my pleasure room.
    Last edited by BrandonPle; May 16th, 2019 at 08:07 PM.