WW 1 or 2 British 75 mm shrapnel shell restoration

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrandonPle

Gunlover
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Watson
    Any one have any experience restoring one of these . It's been sitting in a garage for 20 yrs . Lots of surface rust .
    Any advice here helps.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Pics?

It is inert, right? I know someone else that recently discovered a live japanese wwii grenade in a garage. They get a bit unstable over time :)

Last edited:

dwhaley929

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Baton Rouge LA
    A Bayoushooter member told me about Flitz polish. Works really well without removing any metal. Grab some Harbor Freight polishing wheels for your drill. Most definitely make sure it's inert before you go building up a static charge in the thing. And pics?

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    A Bayoushooter member told me about Flitz polish. Works really well without removing any metal. Grab some Harbor Freight polishing wheels for your drill. Most definitely make sure it's inert before you go building up a static charge in the thing. And pics?

*Every* polishing operation removes metal. That's how polishing works. Flitz and a polishing wheel on a drill or a bench grinder is most definitely abrasive. Rubbing a bit of Flitz by hand is only going to remove a microscopic amount of metal, but it is still abrasive.

This is why polished guns often have softer edges, and why so many collectors wrinkle their nose at a polished gun.

FWIW ... I had Smith & Wesson polish my 686 BBQ gun. Even with the factory polishing a few of the edges were a bit more rounded. Probably hurt its collectible value a bit, but I sure do enjoy it.

Mike

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Any one have any experience restoring one of these . It's been sitting in a garage for 20 yrs . Lots of surface rust .
    Any advice here helps.

What does it say on the end? A few pict's would help out......

Attachments

• shell.jpg
      shell.jpg
      36.1 KB · Views: 228

BrandonPle

Gunlover
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Watson
    I'll load up some pics when I get home tonight .
    Yes it is absolutely inert .
    It originally belonged to a ww1View attachment 86041 vet and when he passed his daughter stuck everything outside in a shed .
    It's not the shell casing , it's the whole upper "bullet" part w/ timer still in tact.

That pic is what it's supposed to look like.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Depends on what you consider restoration is. Or should I say what you want or hope the end results will be.
    I have a background restoring SS Trim for Classic Autos.
    That involves Straightening. Sanding. From Corse to Light and Multi Step Polishing. I also sand and custom polish aluminium parts, intakes even 2 entire transmissions. I have some piles of Steel before it was triple plated. So that involves Blasting or Bead Blasting. Grinding Sanding and Polishing Prior to Plating. A friend owns a Plating Shop so did all my own work and had him run the stuff.
    Doing the wrong thing can and will damage a,part. Or make it take more work to do.
    Thus my question.
    I am able to put you on the right track. But need more info.
    And yes I have done some Pimp style hand guns as well as bead blasted and made them look new again. I do not do much now just sable and do a few here and there for myself. Doing another trans case. And , a Intake. At the present.

BrandonPle

Gunlover
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Watson
    I got the time and patience .
    I ain't skerrd !!
    I like to get dirty !
    I'm not trying to have it expertly restored , but it'd make for a nice table piece in my pleasure room.

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    All polished contain abavasive of some type. Chemical or Mechanical some have both.
    If you get some EvapoRust you can safely soak it to get rid of rust. HarborFrieght sells it.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    In the auto world guys derust then put a matte or polished surface or paint on whatever after.

Last edited:

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    I hope that thing is inert, meaning somewhere along the line the explosive material was removed..

I have a 75mm shell casing an uncle by marriage gave me. He said was fired in WWI by his father, i have no way of knowing that. He gave it to me when i was in high school, back about 1961-62. My father and i had an old wood lathe and i got a piece of 4x4 oak and i turned a "shell, or bullet piece" for it which looks quite attractive. The same uncle was a Msgt in USAF and got me a 57mm recoilless rifle practice round. It was a sub caliber piece, with a 30 cal and a 22 LR barrel for shooting at different distances. My father and I used the 30 cal barrel and made a lamp out of it

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I hope that thing is inert, meaning somewhere along the line the explosive material was removed..

I have a 75mm shell casing an uncle by marriage gave me. He said was fired in WWI by his father, i have no way of knowing that. He gave it to me when i was in high school, back about 1961-62. My father and i had an old wood lathe and i got a piece of 4x4 oak and i turned a "shell, or bullet piece" for it which looks quite attractive. The same uncle was a Msgt in USAF and got me a 57mm recoilless rifle practice round. It was a sub caliber piece, with a 30 cal and a 22 LR barrel for shooting at different distances. My father and I used the 30 cal barrel and made a lamp out of it

Attachments

• worthless.gif
      worthless.gif
      29.8 KB · Views: 268

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom