Join BayouShooter For Free
Pelican

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Day of the Rope!

User Info Menu

Ugly Weapons, a (not so) Civilized Public Debate

Howdy All!

Recently, theperez1972 made a post entitled Ugly Weapons.
    In it he has put a picture of an AK47 with a wooden "dongle" forend as I like to call them.
    He stated that he considers it truly ugly.
    For this I must agree, having always thought the traditional wooden AK furniture to be much more aesthetically pleasing.
    In all honesty, I believe the basic AKMS underfolder is likely one of the most iconically beautiful machines ever made.

As threads do, it wandered a bit.
    Unfortunately, it wandered into the wasteland that is viewpoints on the venerable and equally iconic 1911.

Originally Posted by machinedrummer:
    "The 1911 is probably the ugliest gun ever produced."

Egads!

So, in lieu of derailing the other post's intent, I would like to discuss ugly guns here as well with no limits held and a welcome attitude towards derailing this thread.

I'll start, if you don't mind.
    My vote for the ugliest gun is not the 1911, which I find quite beautiful.
    It is also not the HiPernt, which I find hideously ugly that is only allowable due to the nature of exactly what it is in the firearms world.

My vote is for this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62696_1.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	86065

Behold! The Taurus Judge Public Defender Polymer!

Okay, the first time I saw a Taurus Judge my first thought was just how ugly it was.
    This is the only time in my recollection that I disliked a firearm design immediately.
    Having shot one, I can say that it was neither a good nor bad experience.
    The gun worked but seemed pointless.
    I know, people usually try to come to its rescue by calling it a "snake gun," but let's be honest, there are far better snake guns out there.
    Of course, many folks just find the thing fun to shoot and there's no harm in that.
    Just not my cup'o tea.

Having said that, there is a carbine version of the Judge called the "Circuit Judge," pictured here:

Name:	DSC00054.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	86066

For some reason, I actually like how that gun looks.
    No real idea why but I do.

On the flip side, which firearm do you consider the most beautiful?

My vote for most beautiful is the Marlin 1895 Trapper in 45/70:

Name:	Marlin_1895TSBL_Trapper-1024x384.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	86067

I work and live part time in Barrow Alaska and am never without my Trapper when out and about.
    As a plus, it's fun to shoot as well.

So, what firearm do you consider the ugliest?
    Let the flaming begin!
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    http://midstateoffice.com/

Bangswitch:
    If you canít handle something this childish how on earth could you handle being gangbanged next to a goat by a dozen Taliban fighters?

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

I could care less about pretty or ugly firearms.
    Reliability is #1 on my list so my primary pistols are Glock's and HK VP's.

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JBP55 View Post
    I could care less about pretty or ugly firearms.
    Reliability is #1 on my list so my primary pistols are Glock's and HK VP's.
    I fear this thread may not be for you then. We can start a new thread about reliability if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by Spleen View Post
    Having said that, there is a carbine version of the Judge called the "Circuit Judge," pictured here:

For some reason, I actually like how that gun looks.
    I suspect that's because it looks like a more traditional shotgun rather than a flare gun.

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thperez1972 View Post
    I fear this thread may not be for you then. We can start a new thread about reliability if you'd like.
    Pass, I posted my view on pretty or ugly.

Marksman

User Info Menu

For those of you who don’t understand what the little purple guy chuckling with his hand over his mouth means...running second to the 1911 as the ugliest gun ever made would have to be the .45 Liberator.
    Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't.

Tim

Marksman

User Info Menu

I would have to say the Nambu is about one of the most homely guns. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=image+namb...omatic_Kou.jpg

tacklebox

User Info Menu

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Or anything made by high point.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself.
    ... the very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good"

-George Washington

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

As far as nice 1911's go a Colt Pre 70 or 70 series With the old Dark Blue that some call Royal Blue is still done at Custom Shop. Kimber also does it as well as others. To me any semi auto or revolver done in a high polished dark blue just does it for me.
    I always loved looking in the glass cases eat new guns that looked that way.

Day of the Rope!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by machinedrummer View Post
    For those of you who don’t understand what the little purple guy chuckling with his hand over his mouth means...running second to the 1911 as the ugliest gun ever made would have to be the .45 Liberator.
    I own an original Liberator. Got it on the cheap about 30 years ago as an investment. Paid about $400 for it, which was quite steep at the time. Now it has a worth of around $5000.
    That being said, I place the Liberator's looks in the same place as the HiPernt. It's ridiculously cheaply built and ugly to a fault but it completely serves its niche market. In that sense, I cannot see it as truly ugly.

xobelcat also offered up a picture of a Calico pistol, which I place second only to the Calico carbine version of the pistol. It was a close contender for my choice of ugliest gun, but Taurus just had to go polymer with the Judge, thus rendering it in my opinion, King Ugly of all firearms. (You NEVER go full retard...)
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Bangswitch:
    If you canít handle something this childish how on earth could you handle being gangbanged next to a goat by a dozen Taliban fighters?

Day of the Rope!

User Info Menu

The Calico Liberty 100 in 9MM:

Name:	Liberty-100-Black-1-1024x213.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	230.1 KB 
ID:	86074

As ugly as it has to be.
    In theory, you can fire 100 rounds from its helical magazine.
    If it worked, it'd be a beauty.
    It doesn't so it truly lives in the land of ugly guns.
    (Unless you like weapon clearing drills, at which point it becomes beautiful again...)
    Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Bangswitch: