Ugly Weapons, a (not so) Civilized Public Debate

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    Howdy All!

Recently, theperez1972 made a post entitled Ugly Weapons.
    In it he has put a picture of an AK47 with a wooden "dongle" forend as I like to call them.
    He stated that he considers it truly ugly.
    For this I must agree, having always thought the traditional wooden AK furniture to be much more aesthetically pleasing.
    In all honesty, I believe the basic AKMS underfolder is likely one of the most iconically beautiful machines ever made.

As threads do, it wandered a bit.
    Unfortunately, it wandered into the wasteland that is viewpoints on the venerable and equally iconic 1911.

Originally Posted by machinedrummer:
    "The 1911 is probably the ugliest gun ever produced."

Egads! :deadhorse::deadhorse:

So, in lieu of derailing the other post's intent, I would like to discuss ugly guns here as well with no limits held and a welcome attitude towards derailing this thread.

I'll start, if you don't mind.
    My vote for the ugliest gun is not the 1911, which I find quite beautiful.
    It is also not the HiPernt, which I find hideously ugly that is only allowable due to the nature of exactly what it is in the firearms world.

My vote is for this:

62696_1.jpg

Behold! The Taurus Judge Public Defender Polymer!

Okay, the first time I saw a Taurus Judge my first thought was just how ugly it was.
    This is the only time in my recollection that I disliked a firearm design immediately.
    Having shot one, I can say that it was neither a good nor bad experience.
    The gun worked but seemed pointless.
    I know, people usually try to come to its rescue by calling it a "snake gun," but let's be honest, there are far better snake guns out there.
    Of course, many folks just find the thing fun to shoot and there's no harm in that.
    Just not my cup'o tea.

Having said that, there is a carbine version of the Judge called the "Circuit Judge," pictured here:

DSC00054.JPG

For some reason, I actually like how that gun looks.
    No real idea why but I do.

On the flip side, which firearm do you consider the most beautiful?

My vote for most beautiful is the Marlin 1895 Trapper in 45/70:

Marlin_1895TSBL_Trapper-1024x384.jpg

I work and live part time in Barrow Alaska and am never without my Trapper when out and about.
    As a plus, it's fun to shoot as well.

So, what firearm do you consider the ugliest?
    Let the flaming begin!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I could care less about pretty or ugly firearms.
    Reliability is #1 on my list so my primary pistols are Glock's and HK VP's.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I could care less about pretty or ugly firearms.
    Reliability is #1 on my list so my primary pistols are Glock's and HK VP's.

I fear this thread may not be for you then. We can start a new thread about reliability if you'd like.

Having said that, there is a carbine version of the Judge called the "Circuit Judge," pictured here:

I suspect that's because it looks like a more traditional shotgun rather than a flare gun.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    For those of you who don’t understand what the little purple guy chuckling with his hand over his mouth means...running second to the 1911 as the ugliest gun ever made would have to be the .45 Liberator.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    As far as nice 1911's go a Colt Pre 70 or 70 series With the old Dark Blue that some call Royal Blue is still done at Custom Shop. Kimber also does it as well as others. To me any semi auto or revolver done in a high polished dark blue just does it for me.
    I always loved looking in the glass cases eat new guns that looked that way.

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    For those of you who don’t understand what the little purple guy chuckling with his hand over his mouth means...running second to the 1911 as the ugliest gun ever made would have to be the .45 Liberator.

I own an original Liberator. Got it on the cheap about 30 years ago as an investment. Paid about $400 for it, which was quite steep at the time. Now it has a worth of around $5000.
    That being said, I place the Liberator's looks in the same place as the HiPernt. It's ridiculously cheaply built and ugly to a fault but it completely serves its niche market. In that sense, I cannot see it as truly ugly.

xobelcat also offered up a picture of a Calico pistol, which I place second only to the Calico carbine version of the pistol. It was a close contender for my choice of ugliest gun, but Taurus just had to go polymer with the Judge, thus rendering it in my opinion, King Ugly of all firearms. (You NEVER go full retard...) ;)

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    The Calico Liberty 100 in 9MM:

Liberty-100-Black-1-1024x213.png

As ugly as it has to be.
    In theory, you can fire 100 rounds from its helical magazine.
    If it worked, it'd be a beauty.
    It doesn't so it truly lives in the land of ugly guns.
    (Unless you like weapon clearing drills, at which point it becomes beautiful again...)

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    View attachment 86082
    No contest , instant winner .
    The hi point 995.

I know what you mean but you must admit, it's like the wallflower at the dance.
    Might not be anything to look at but it will perform flawlessly all night long if you want it to...
    You don't even have to pay for breakfast in the morning unless you feel the need.
    Therein lies the beauty to me, utility wins over pure aesthetica.

Last edited:

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    Howdy All!

Recently, theperez1972 made a post entitled Ugly Weapons.
    In it he has put a picture of an AK47 with a wooden "dongle" forend as I like to call them.
    He stated that he considers it truly ugly.
    For this I must agree, having always thought the traditional wooden AK furniture to be much more aesthetically pleasing.
    In all honesty, I believe the basic AKMS underfolder is likely one of the most iconically beautiful machines ever made.

As threads do, it wandered a bit.
    Unfortunately, it wandered into the wasteland that is viewpoints on the venerable and equally iconic 1911.

Originally Posted by machinedrummer:
    "The 1911 is probably the ugliest gun ever produced."

Egads! :deadhorse::deadhorse:

So, in lieu of derailing the other post's intent, I would like to discuss ugly guns here as well with no limits held and a welcome attitude towards derailing this thread.

I'll start, if you don't mind.
    My vote for the ugliest gun is not the 1911, which I find quite beautiful.
    It is also not the HiPernt, which I find hideously ugly that is only allowable due to the nature of exactly what it is in the firearms world.

My vote is for this:

View attachment 86065

Behold! The Taurus Judge Public Defender Polymer!

Okay, the first time I saw a Taurus Judge my first thought was just how ugly it was.
    This is the only time in my recollection that I disliked a firearm design immediately.
    Having shot one, I can say that it was neither a good nor bad experience.
    The gun worked but seemed pointless.
    I know, people usually try to come to its rescue by calling it a "snake gun," but let's be honest, there are far better snake guns out there.
    Of course, many folks just find the thing fun to shoot and there's no harm in that.
    Just not my cup'o tea.

View attachment 86066

No real idea why but I do.

On the flip side, which firearm do you consider the most beautiful?

My vote for most beautiful is the Marlin 1895 Trapper in 45/70:

View attachment 86067

I work and live part time in Barrow Alaska and am never without my Trapper when out and about.
    As a plus, it's fun to shoot as well.

So, what firearm do you consider the ugliest?
    Let the flaming begin!

I am not flaming, but would not consider the Trapper the most beautiful by any means, nor could i apply that to any satinless with black stock beautiful. I have a first year Guide Gun and hit the wood jackpot, getting a nice piece of burl walnut. I certainly understand the functional beauty of yours in a place like Alaska, and would probably prefer it if i were there. I honestly have a problem choosing a most beautiful from those i have, a Winchester 1894 centennial commerative, 30-30 with 26" half octagon half round barrel, button magazine(3 round capacity) checkered flame grained stock, pistol grip with crescent buttplate, roll engraved and a Lyman tang sight. My second choice might be a Darne 28 ga sxs shotgun, a French sliding breech model.

Spleen

Day of the Rope!
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Jefferson Parish
    Fair enough, I agree with you on the most beautiful moniker to my Trapper.
    It's only most beautiful because of its utility to me.
    Must admit to a penchant for half octagon barrels on lever actions.
    Especially with a nice deep blued finish.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Yeah, I don’t get it. I’m searching my soul to see if I ever purchased or decided not to purchase a firearm solely based on the aesthetics of the gun and I’m convinced I have never based the purchase of any firearm on pretty or ugly. I’m sure I’ve passed on a few that were obviously beat to hell, but not because of the look of any gun in original condition.
    That being said, the first thing I considered before dating, marrying or otherwise pursuing any woman was her looks. I guess guns are different, huh...

Top Bottom