Gillette - again. Harrys et tou

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I think you know the answer to that. What I find sad is your efforts of persuasion have failed so you shifted to discredit me first by claiming bigotry and now lack of education in a subject.

What failure? By your own admission you have no training in the disciplines you're opining on. The failure here is yours, my friend.

To wit: your assertion about gender dysphoria being a "disorder" is your assertion to prove, not mine to disprove. In any first year college class on critical thinking this is taught as the "philosophical burden of proof," or "Hitchensen's razor."

By the way, do you actually know any transgender people, or is your "expertise" purely imagined?

Funny thing you discredited your own argument earlier without even knowing. You used the word genetics to discuss someone’s individual identity and you seem to reject genetics as being the supreme arbiter of a person’s sex/gender (whatever word you prefer because obviously words have no meaning any more).

Oh, I think genetics has a lot to do with it. I just don't think it's as simple as looking at a person's sex chromosomes and assuming that all of their cognition has to follow suit the way that you and so many others think it should.

Like so many others, you have oversimplified gender to imagine that the biological sex gender (meaning one's genitalia) has to match one's cognitive gender identity. And yes, up into the 1990's, that was the state of our understanding of human physiology and psychology. We now have a more nuanced understanding of human cognition and genetics, such that the oversimplification is just that—an oversimplification. Nice for the armchair "psychologists" who, lacking training and scholarship on the issue, want to reduce this to the simplest possible terms to bolster their fallacious arguments and personal biases.

If ones individual identity as they see it couldn’t possibly be a mistake how on earth could ones genetics? Remember you used genetics to describe someone’s individual identity.

Calling someone's identity a "mistake" is absurd. Who the hell are any of us to tell someone how they should self-identify?

Ever heard of Trisomy 21? Google it, and then tell me about how perfect genetics is.

I’m sure you are about to bounce to intersex next which affects .05% of the population. That’s not to say what they go through isn’t significant to them but statistically an anomaly.

Naah, your current "arguments" (such as they are, since you've presented nothing but hyperbole and bluster) are far more fun to poke at. But by all means ...continue to dance around scientific disciplines that you know nothing about. Ever hear the old Ben Franklin quote, "better to be quiet and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and confirm all suspicions"?

By the way ... you backpedaled when you said that you cared only about "those interested in using these people and their disorder for their own benefit." I doubt that any transgendered person wants your sympathy (especially when it comes from the bias of imagining that this is a "disorder"); I suspect you said that just to dig yourself out from the hatred that pervades this thread, and to try to make yourself look better. At least be man enough to stand by your words, or admit outright that you might have been wrong. The only thing I hate more than a bad argument is a bad argument bolstered by weasel words.

That said ... what exactly is "for their own benefit?" Are you opposed to transgendered people having their identified gender recognized legally? Seems to me that the only "benefit" these people want is to have equal rights under the law. What exactly is the problem with this, and how would affording these people equal protections under the law impose on your life?

Mike

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    What failure? By your own admission you have no training in the disciplines you're opining on. The failure here is yours, my friend.

To wit: your assertion about gender dysphoria being a "disorder" is your assertion to prove, not mine to disprove. In any first year college class on critical thinking this is taught as the "philosophical burden of proof," or "Hitchensen's razor."

By the way, do you actually know any transgender people, or is your "expertise" purely imagined?

Oh, I think genetics has a lot to do with it. I just don't think it's as simple as looking at a person's sex chromosomes and assuming that all of their cognition has to follow suit the way that you and so many others think it should.

Like so many others, you have oversimplified gender to imagine that the biological sex gender (meaning one's genitalia) has to match one's cognitive gender identity. And yes, up into the 1990's, that was the state of our understanding of human physiology and psychology. We now have a more nuanced understanding of human cognition and genetics, such that the oversimplification is just that—an oversimplification. Nice for the armchair "psychologists" who, lacking training and scholarship on the issue, want to reduce this to the simplest possible terms to bolster their fallacious arguments and personal biases.

Calling someone's identity a "mistake" is absurd. Who the hell are any of us to tell someone how they should self-identify?

Ever heard of Trisomy 21? Google it, and then tell me about how perfect genetics is.

Naah, your current "arguments" (such as they are, since you've presented nothing but hyperbole and bluster) are far more fun to poke at. But by all means ...continue to dance around scientific disciplines that you know nothing about. Ever hear the old Ben Franklin quote, "better to be quiet and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and confirm all suspicions"?

By the way ... you backpedaled when you said that you cared only about "those interested in using these people and their disorder for their own benefit." I doubt that any transgendered person wants your sympathy (especially when it comes from the bias of imagining that this is a "disorder"); I suspect you said that just to dig yourself out from the hatred that pervades this thread, and to try to make yourself look better. At least be man enough to stand by your words, or admit outright that you might have been wrong. The only thing I hate more than a bad argument is a bad argument bolstered by weasel words.

That said ... what exactly is "for their own benefit?" Are you opposed to transgendered people having their identified gender recognized legally? Seems to me that the only "benefit" these people want is to have equal rights under the law. What exactly is the problem with this, and how would affording these people equal protections under the law impose on your life?

Mike

Excuss me while I over simply your post again.

Again you attempt discredit.

I don’t have to prove any assertion. I’ve made my assertion based on biology, zoology, thousands of years of human history. I also am backed by the fact that this newly ‘non-disorder’ disorder already has a name. Just because a bunch of ****-ant whiners no longer want to believe in any universal truths doesn’t make it less of a disorder.

It’s a psychological issue, caused and exacerbated by the emphasis on social norms ie: ‘men drive trucks women bake cakes.’ I know and have known tons of straight guys who have feminine qualities. They are happy well adjusted men. I also know some women who can be what we would deem as quite masculine who are happy being women.

You can put on a cape and tights but it won’t make you Superman and if I encouraged you jump out a window people would call me an @$$hole.

Feeling you are a woman in a mans body is no less of a delusion as thinking you are Superman and it’s no less unhealthy for me to play along with you.

Last edited:

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Excuss me while I over simply your post again.

Again you attempt discredit.

I'm just asking you questions. You keep deflecting and flailing, and in doing so you're discrediting yourself.

I don’t have to prove any assertion.

True, but your assertion will remain an unproven opinion, with nothing more than the force of your own lungs (or fingers on the keyboard?) to perpetuate it. If this were a scholarly debate you wouldn't have left the gate yet.

I’ve made my assertion based on biology, zoology, thousands of years of human history.

And yet, you've offered nothing in the way of biological, zoological or historical evidence to support your opinion.

Biologically, transgendered people exist. They are as much living and breathing as the rest of us are. If they are "wrong," then why does the natural order of the world allow for them to exist (unlike, say, Superman, who does not actually exist)?

I'm not sure what zoology has to do with this, but by all means lead forth.

And historically? Transgendered people have existed for as long as recorded history (and in all likelihood much longer than that).

I also am backed by the fact that this newly ‘non-disorder’ disorder already has a name. Just because a bunch of ****-ant whiners no longer want to believe in any universal truths doesn’t make it less of a disorder.

When you can't beat it, mock it. I'll take this to be the white flag of defeat.

It’s a psychological issue, caused and exacerbated by the emphasis on social norms ie: ‘men drive trucks women bake cakes.’

Actually, those are called "gender role stereotypes." They're not "social norms" anymore because lots of women drive trucks and lots of men bake, and they're certainly not based in human biology.

I know and have known tons of straight guys who have feminine qualities. They are happy well adjusted men. I also know some women who can be what we would deem as quite masculine who are happy being women.

What is a "feminine quality"? I do all of the cooking in our household (because I enjoy it and I'm pretty good at it)—does that make me more "feminine?"

My wife works a corporate nine to five job. Does that make her more "masculine?"

You can put on a cape and tights but it won’t make you Superman and if I encouraged you jump out a window people would call me an @$$hole.

Superman is fictitious; there's nothing that anyone could do to actually be Superman. It's a ridiculous analogy that does nothing to bolster your argument. Try again.

Feeling you are a woman in a mans body is no less of a delusion as thinking you are Superman and it’s no less unhealthy for me to play along with you.

According to *you* it's unhealthy, based on your non-expertise and non-experience on the topic. And I return to the central question: who are YOU to judge how others identify themselves?

Mike

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I retired and stopped shaving.

I really hope Wahl never does anything this stupid, or I'll just have to move to the mountains and become a hermit.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I'm just asking you questions. You keep deflecting and flailing, and in doing so you're discrediting yourself.

True, but your assertion will remain an unproven opinion, with nothing more than the force of your own lungs (or fingers on the keyboard?) to perpetuate it. If this were a scholarly debate you wouldn't have left the gate yet.

And yet, you've offered nothing in the way of biological, zoological or historical evidence to support your opinion.

Biologically, transgendered people exist. They are as much living and breathing as the rest of us are. If they are "wrong," then why does the natural order of the world allow for them to exist (unlike, say, Superman, who does not actually exist)?

I'm not sure what zoology has to do with this, but by all means lead forth.

And historically? Transgendered people have existed for as long as recorded history (and in all likelihood much longer than that).

When you can't beat it, mock it. I'll take this to be the white flag of defeat.

Actually, those are called "gender role stereotypes." They're not "social norms" anymore because lots of women drive trucks and lots of men bake, and they're certainly not based in human biology.

What is a "feminine quality"? I do all of the cooking in our household (because I enjoy it and I'm pretty good at it)—does that make me more "feminine?"

My wife works a corporate nine to five job. Does that make her more "masculine?"

Superman is fictitious; there's nothing that anyone could do to actually be Superman. It's a ridiculous analogy that does nothing to bolster your argument. Try again.

According to *you* it's unhealthy, based on your non-expertise and non-experience on the topic. And I return to the central question: who are YOU to judge how others identify themselves?

Mike

Dude I’m sorry after this I’m not wasting any more effort. You want to redefine the meaning of ‘is’ (surely you are old enough to get this reference), and call it scholarly debate. I’m not going to waste time defining the biological differences found between male and female of humans or other species. Put down the keyboard and go to your nearest mall, Walmart, Home Depot, where-ever you choose and observe people. Some of what you will see is biological some is social norms. If you are afraid to leave your computer, just google where do babies come from. It’s pretty elementary stuff. But you would rather debate and try to school me on debating (which did pretty well at in college just a couple years ago), than give a reasoned argument. And when debating doesn’t go your way you accuse me on bigotry or being uneducated on the issue at hand.

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2007
    Dollar shave club does not impress me, nor does any of the modern Gillette offerings. Some years back i got interested in old razors and amassed a small collection of old razors, Gillette, Gem, and Schick. My favorite is an old Gem 1912 Damaskeen open comb. There are some excellent new double edge styles available in stainless steel as well as some larger single edge types that use the Japanese Feather Artists Club type blades, which was originally designed as an injector for a straight edge style razor. I tried it and some regular straight edge razors, and have a difficult time getting a good edge on the straights. I also have a couple of sets of vintage Wilkerson razors that use 7 day blades, basically a piece of a straight razor that is also hand sharpened, they arel labeled by day so they can be easlily rotated through the week

If you really want to learn about shaving and all the associated products available look at the forum badgerandblade.com

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    For those of you who like Dollar Shave Club, here’s a tip. Their razors come from Dorco, a leading brand in Asia. You can buy Dorco direct and save 30% and more. There are also some other models of handles and refills that Dollar does not carry.

I purchased Dollar and the Dorco for a while.

However, Dorco/Dollar blades aren’t as sharp and don’t last as long as “American” brands. A Dollar customer service rep even admitted that to me in a phone call. At first he tried to talk me out of quitting. When I said that I didn’t find them to be as sharp or last as long, he said “Yeah, if that’s the issue, we can’t fix it.”

I kept track of durability with a log and found that the Gillette 5-blade refills had the best service life for me. I had one that went over 3 months! BTW, I shave very closely every day and have a moderately coarse beard. The secret for me is cleaning with very hot water and tapping well after every shave. I also keep it out of my wife’s reach.

I’m surprised that Gillette decided to get into the gender identity arena. I have no cares about who is what or wants to be. I just wonder why they decided to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Y
    For those of you who like Dollar Shave Club, here’s a tip. Their razors come from Dorco, a leading brand in Asia. You can buy Dorco direct and save 30% and more. There are also some other models of handles and refills that Dollar does not carry.

I purchased Dollar and the Dorco for a while.

However, Dorco/Dollar blades aren’t as sharp and don’t last as long as *American* brands. A Dollar customer service rep even admitted that to me in a phone call. At first he tried to talk me out of quitting. When I said that I didn’t find them to be as sharp or last as long, he said *Yeah, if that’s the issue, we can’t fix it.*

I kept track of durability with a log and found that the Gillette 5-blade refills had the best service life for me. I had one that went over 3 months! BTW, I shave very closely every day and have a moderately coarse beard. The secret for me is cleaning with very hot water and tapping well after every shave. I also keep it out of my wife’s reach.

I’m surprised that Gillette decided to get into the gender identity arena. I have no cares about who is what or wants to be. I just wonder why they decided to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly nor do I and I’m the loudest voice on here railing against it and here’s why: if I care anything about I’m gonna try to steer you from making bad life choices (see this is the part where I don’t care because I know no one I care for wanting to transition), but more importantly I care about the neglect/abuse that is allowing a tide pod eating idiot child to ‘transition’. I also find it unbelievably criminal that teachers and school officials are promoting this sort of foolishness even in one case (that was in the news in recent years) helping a child transition without parental consent. And if you think your child isn’t being exposed to this sort of thing I pray you are right, but don’t think a good school in a safe area in the south is all it takes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom