Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35
  1. #21
    Marksman

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    I think you know the answer to that. What I find sad is your efforts of persuasion have failed so you shifted to discredit me first by claiming bigotry and now lack of education in a subject.
    What failure? By your own admission you have no training in the disciplines you're opining on. The failure here is yours, my friend.

    To wit: your assertion about gender dysphoria being a "disorder" is your assertion to prove, not mine to disprove. In any first year college class on critical thinking this is taught as the "philosophical burden of proof," or "Hitchensen's razor."

    By the way, do you actually know any transgender people, or is your "expertise" purely imagined?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    Funny thing you discredited your own argument earlier without even knowing. You used the word genetics to discuss someone’s individual identity and you seem to reject genetics as being the supreme arbiter of a person’s sex/gender (whatever word you prefer because obviously words have no meaning any more).
    Oh, I think genetics has a lot to do with it. I just don't think it's as simple as looking at a person's sex chromosomes and assuming that all of their cognition has to follow suit the way that you and so many others think it should.

    Like so many others, you have oversimplified gender to imagine that the biological sex gender (meaning one's genitalia) has to match one's cognitive gender identity. And yes, up into the 1990's, that was the state of our understanding of human physiology and psychology. We now have a more nuanced understanding of human cognition and genetics, such that the oversimplification is just that—an oversimplification. Nice for the armchair "psychologists" who, lacking training and scholarship on the issue, want to reduce this to the simplest possible terms to bolster their fallacious arguments and personal biases.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    If ones individual identity as they see it couldn’t possibly be a mistake how on earth could ones genetics? Remember you used genetics to describe someone’s individual identity.
    Calling someone's identity a "mistake" is absurd. Who the hell are any of us to tell someone how they should self-identify?

    Ever heard of Trisomy 21? Google it, and then tell me about how perfect genetics is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    I’m sure you are about to bounce to intersex next which affects .05% of the population. That’s not to say what they go through isn’t significant to them but statistically an anomaly.
    Naah, your current "arguments" (such as they are, since you've presented nothing but hyperbole and bluster) are far more fun to poke at. But by all means ...continue to dance around scientific disciplines that you know nothing about. Ever hear the old Ben Franklin quote, "better to be quiet and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and confirm all suspicions"?

    By the way ... you backpedaled when you said that you cared only about "those interested in using these people and their disorder for their own benefit." I doubt that any transgendered person wants your sympathy (especially when it comes from the bias of imagining that this is a "disorder"); I suspect you said that just to dig yourself out from the hatred that pervades this thread, and to try to make yourself look better. At least be man enough to stand by your words, or admit outright that you might have been wrong. The only thing I hate more than a bad argument is a bad argument bolstered by weasel words.

    That said ... what exactly is "for their own benefit?" Are you opposed to transgendered people having their identified gender recognized legally? Seems to me that the only "benefit" these people want is to have equal rights under the law. What exactly is the problem with this, and how would affording these people equal protections under the law impose on your life?

    Mike
    ΦΒΚ. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

  2. #22
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Stopped buying that overpriced junk long ago . I now have a MERKUR Progress Adjustable. I will never go back !

  3. #23
    Marksman

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MALIBU12 View Post
    Stopped buying that overpriced junk long ago . I now have a MERKUR Progress Adjustable. I will never go back !
    Yes! Another Merkur fan.

    I buy my safety razor blades online. I think I pay about $10 for a hundred blades.

    Mike
    ΦΒΚ. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

  4. #24
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Same here, I love the feather blades from Japan! Ninja sword sharp!

  5. #25
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighReloader View Post
    What failure? By your own admission you have no training in the disciplines you're opining on. The failure here is yours, my friend.

    To wit: your assertion about gender dysphoria being a "disorder" is your assertion to prove, not mine to disprove. In any first year college class on critical thinking this is taught as the "philosophical burden of proof," or "Hitchensen's razor."

    By the way, do you actually know any transgender people, or is your "expertise" purely imagined?



    Oh, I think genetics has a lot to do with it. I just don't think it's as simple as looking at a person's sex chromosomes and assuming that all of their cognition has to follow suit the way that you and so many others think it should.

    Like so many others, you have oversimplified gender to imagine that the biological sex gender (meaning one's genitalia) has to match one's cognitive gender identity. And yes, up into the 1990's, that was the state of our understanding of human physiology and psychology. We now have a more nuanced understanding of human cognition and genetics, such that the oversimplification is just thatóan oversimplification. Nice for the armchair "psychologists" who, lacking training and scholarship on the issue, want to reduce this to the simplest possible terms to bolster their fallacious arguments and personal biases.



    Calling someone's identity a "mistake" is absurd. Who the hell are any of us to tell someone how they should self-identify?

    Ever heard of Trisomy 21? Google it, and then tell me about how perfect genetics is.



    Naah, your current "arguments" (such as they are, since you've presented nothing but hyperbole and bluster) are far more fun to poke at. But by all means ...continue to dance around scientific disciplines that you know nothing about. Ever hear the old Ben Franklin quote, "better to be quiet and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and confirm all suspicions"?

    By the way ... you backpedaled when you said that you cared only about "those interested in using these people and their disorder for their own benefit." I doubt that any transgendered person wants your sympathy (especially when it comes from the bias of imagining that this is a "disorder"); I suspect you said that just to dig yourself out from the hatred that pervades this thread, and to try to make yourself look better. At least be man enough to stand by your words, or admit outright that you might have been wrong. The only thing I hate more than a bad argument is a bad argument bolstered by weasel words.

    That said ... what exactly is "for their own benefit?" Are you opposed to transgendered people having their identified gender recognized legally? Seems to me that the only "benefit" these people want is to have equal rights under the law. What exactly is the problem with this, and how would affording these people equal protections under the law impose on your life?

    Mike
    Excuss me while I over simply your post again.

    Again you attempt discredit.

    I donít have to prove any assertion. Iíve made my assertion based on biology, zoology, thousands of years of human history. I also am backed by the fact that this newly Ďnon-disorderí disorder already has a name. Just because a bunch of piss-ant whiners no longer want to believe in any universal truths doesnít make it less of a disorder.

    Itís a psychological issue, caused and exacerbated by the emphasis on social norms ie: Ďmen drive trucks women bake cakes.í I know and have known tons of straight guys who have feminine qualities. They are happy well adjusted men. I also know some women who can be what we would deem as quite masculine who are happy being women.

    You can put on a cape and tights but it wonít make you Superman and if I encouraged you jump out a window people would call me an @$$hole.

    Feeling you are a woman in a mans body is no less of a delusion as thinking you are Superman and itís no less unhealthy for me to play along with you.
    Last edited by Bangswitch; May 28th, 2019 at 10:12 AM.

  6. #26
    Marksman

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    Excuss me while I over simply your post again.

    Again you attempt discredit.
    I'm just asking you questions. You keep deflecting and flailing, and in doing so you're discrediting yourself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    I don’t have to prove any assertion.
    True, but your assertion will remain an unproven opinion, with nothing more than the force of your own lungs (or fingers on the keyboard?) to perpetuate it. If this were a scholarly debate you wouldn't have left the gate yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    I’ve made my assertion based on biology, zoology, thousands of years of human history.
    And yet, you've offered nothing in the way of biological, zoological or historical evidence to support your opinion.

    Biologically, transgendered people exist. They are as much living and breathing as the rest of us are. If they are "wrong," then why does the natural order of the world allow for them to exist (unlike, say, Superman, who does not actually exist)?

    I'm not sure what zoology has to do with this, but by all means lead forth.

    And historically? Transgendered people have existed for as long as recorded history (and in all likelihood much longer than that).

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    I also am backed by the fact that this newly ‘non-disorder’ disorder already has a name. Just because a bunch of piss-ant whiners no longer want to believe in any universal truths doesn’t make it less of a disorder.
    When you can't beat it, mock it. I'll take this to be the white flag of defeat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    It’s a psychological issue, caused and exacerbated by the emphasis on social norms ie: ‘men drive trucks women bake cakes.’
    Actually, those are called "gender role stereotypes." They're not "social norms" anymore because lots of women drive trucks and lots of men bake, and they're certainly not based in human biology.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    I know and have known tons of straight guys who have feminine qualities. They are happy well adjusted men. I also know some women who can be what we would deem as quite masculine who are happy being women.
    What is a "feminine quality"? I do all of the cooking in our household (because I enjoy it and I'm pretty good at it)—does that make me more "feminine?"

    My wife works a corporate nine to five job. Does that make her more "masculine?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    You can put on a cape and tights but it won’t make you Superman and if I encouraged you jump out a window people would call me an @$$hole.
    Superman is fictitious; there's nothing that anyone could do to actually be Superman. It's a ridiculous analogy that does nothing to bolster your argument. Try again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    Feeling you are a woman in a mans body is no less of a delusion as thinking you are Superman and it’s no less unhealthy for me to play along with you.
    According to *you* it's unhealthy, based on your non-expertise and non-experience on the topic. And I return to the central question: who are YOU to judge how others identify themselves?

    Mike
    ΦΒΚ. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

  7. #27
    Marksman

    Premium Member

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by MALIBU12 View Post
    Same here, I love the feather blades from Japan! Ninja sword sharp!
    Thanks! Haven't tried those yet ... I'm getting low on my current blades, so I'll give Feather a try next.

    Mike
    ΦΒΚ. Honi soit qui mal y pense.

  8. #28
    Madame Mayor's Fiefdom

    User Info Menu

    I retired and stopped shaving.

    I really hope Wahl never does anything this stupid, or I'll just have to move to the mountains and become a hermit.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin

  9. #29
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighReloader View Post
    I'm just asking you questions. You keep deflecting and flailing, and in doing so you're discrediting yourself.



    True, but your assertion will remain an unproven opinion, with nothing more than the force of your own lungs (or fingers on the keyboard?) to perpetuate it. If this were a scholarly debate you wouldn't have left the gate yet.



    And yet, you've offered nothing in the way of biological, zoological or historical evidence to support your opinion.

    Biologically, transgendered people exist. They are as much living and breathing as the rest of us are. If they are "wrong," then why does the natural order of the world allow for them to exist (unlike, say, Superman, who does not actually exist)?

    I'm not sure what zoology has to do with this, but by all means lead forth.

    And historically? Transgendered people have existed for as long as recorded history (and in all likelihood much longer than that).



    When you can't beat it, mock it. I'll take this to be the white flag of defeat.



    Actually, those are called "gender role stereotypes." They're not "social norms" anymore because lots of women drive trucks and lots of men bake, and they're certainly not based in human biology.



    What is a "feminine quality"? I do all of the cooking in our household (because I enjoy it and I'm pretty good at it)—does that make me more "feminine?"

    My wife works a corporate nine to five job. Does that make her more "masculine?"



    Superman is fictitious; there's nothing that anyone could do to actually be Superman. It's a ridiculous analogy that does nothing to bolster your argument. Try again.



    According to *you* it's unhealthy, based on your non-expertise and non-experience on the topic. And I return to the central question: who are YOU to judge how others identify themselves?

    Mike
    Dude I’m sorry after this I’m not wasting any more effort. You want to redefine the meaning of ‘is’ (surely you are old enough to get this reference), and call it scholarly debate. I’m not going to waste time defining the biological differences found between male and female of humans or other species. Put down the keyboard and go to your nearest mall, Walmart, Home Depot, where-ever you choose and observe people. Some of what you will see is biological some is social norms. If you are afraid to leave your computer, just google where do babies come from. It’s pretty elementary stuff. But you would rather debate and try to school me on debating (which did pretty well at in college just a couple years ago), than give a reasoned argument. And when debating doesn’t go your way you accuse me on bigotry or being uneducated on the issue at hand.

  10. #30
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Ok just a little more effort. Again no need to redefine anything see what these people have to say.

    https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-...nder-dysphoria

    If you feel so accommodating please scroll down to diagnosis, and post that for me.
    Last edited by Bangswitch; May 28th, 2019 at 12:35 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •