Morganza spillway opening

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    If the water wasn’t as high as it already is wouldn’t be as bad. My camp didn’t take water in 2011 but as high as it is going in to this I’m sure it will this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mickey

SSST
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    191   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    We have been in high water way to long and still have a ways to go. A tremendous amount of water still is making its way down here. The crest is projected to be holding at 44.5’ in Baton Rouge for 14 days. That is if we do not have another big rain event to crank it up higher.
    Levees are saturated. Matter of fact, I just read an article on WAFB that water is popping up and causing vehicles to sink in a parking lot off River Road by LSU.
    Stand by, there will be more to come.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    The Bonnet Carre Spillway is playing havoc on Lake Ponchatrain and the Mississippi Sound. They say the volume of fresh water will change the Mississippi Sound I’m sure the Ponchatrain for generations.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Was reading up on everything about the old river control structure and it is very interesting. This could get bad quick if it fails... Made for an interesting read.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs

To think that the river flow could switch from its current path (no pun intended) to the Atchafalaya river is a lot to take in and come to grips with. A redirection like that no doubt happens all the time with waterways, but to happen on a major waterway like the Mississippi would be an amazing feat of nature.

It’s a reminder of how small we are as people on this big spinning ball.

dirty_sanchez

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    What about Essential Arms? I have one of his lowers.

Essential Arms out of Krotz Springs?

BlueShamu

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 21, 2015
    D'town
    If the ACE would dredge all of the passes at the mouth of the river, then water flow into the gulf from the river would increase.

Right now, as it stands, most of the passes are silting up and filling in....decreasing channel depth, therefore; restricting flow. Which....as Dr. Xu points out...causes the upriver portions to rise.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    If the ACE would dredge all of the passes at the mouth of the river, then water flow into the gulf from the river would increase.

Right now, as it stands, most of the passes are silting up and filling in....decreasing channel depth, therefore; restricting flow. Which....as Dr. Xu points out...causes the upriver portions to rise.

Dredging the river or any river is just required maintenance. When it has been done in past I don’t k ow who foots the bill but it should be spread to every state as our nations economy depends on the river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dwhaley929

Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Dec 14, 2016
    Baton Rouge LA
    I read a lot on the ORCS. Kind of wish I hadn't. It's pretty scary. If that thing fails it will be a world altering event.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I read a lot on the ORCS. Kind of wish I hadn't. It's pretty scary. If that thing fails it will be a world altering event.
    Yeah could be catastrophic. The truth is we are borrowing time no matter what the Corp does. Mother Nature has her heart set on moving the Mississippi when she has had enough she will do it and we can cry and kick and scream all we want but it won’t matter. I pray I don’t live to see that day, but I’m too young a man to be hopeful of that.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    They announced today that they are putting off the decision for a few more days and may not actually have to open if the level stays below 60 feet where they take the measurement.

Coyote5.0

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2016
    Prairieville
    I currently own personal/commercial property that has equity north of $1M in Ascension Parish. This and the Old River Structure have me thinking. Am I too exposed?

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    To think that the river flow could switch from its current path (no pun intended) to the Atchafalaya river is a lot to take in and come to grips with. A redirection like that no doubt happens all the time with waterways, but to happen on a major waterway like the Mississippi would be an amazing feat of nature.

It’s a reminder of how small we are as people on this big spinning ball.
    I have an uncle that retired with the ACE and was on levee watch for years. He knew all about the damns around the 3 rivers area. He was always dealing with Simmesport on down to past New Roads/St. Francisville. He predicted the flooding of the town of Bayou Sarah. I remember him telling me that the river would change course at the 3 Rivers area in my lifetime and there was nothing they can do about it. I never had much of a mental pic until google maps, when I would research fishing areas up that way. I can definitely see it happening. What damage it will cause when cuts the levee is yet to be seen, but he believed it would be bad. Before he died he was pushing for a big reservoir in East Feliciana as well to protect Denham Springs and other south lying areas from the potential of the Amite River. I found it interesting what that old guy knew about it all and when he’d share it from an engineer’s point of view.

Top Bottom