Registering a utility trailer info needed

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I have a question or should I say my buddy has a question. He has a utility trailer that was abandoned on some property he owns. It's been around for a long time.
    It was made by Pro Pull and has a sticker with the serial number on it. But it's so faded out you can't read it and Pro Pull is out of business. And he said it's not stamped anywhere on it.
    So his question is how does he go about getting it in his name and getting a plate for it.
    I told him I would ask here since we have so many members from all walks of life.

Thanks

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    ProPull products were sold by Central Hitch. Then they started making their own. Central Hitch moved from Airline to Greenwell Springs when Womans Hospital relocated.

I would check with Central Hitch to see if they have a record.

In order to use the trailer you will need a license. In order to get a license you will need a title. Lacking no title you will need to establish that the trailer is abandoned, not stolen.

If it can be established as stolen you might be able to get an attorney or notary to record an act of seizure / salvage of abandoned property. To be sure that it is not stolen it should probably be reported to law enforcement, who might have it towed.

If it’s not claimed you can attempt to claim it in compensation for storing it on your property.

If you begin using it without a license plate, you risk being pulled over for no license. If the trailer is indeed stolen that could become a problem for the person using it. Don’t even think about obliterating the serial number and starting over. First, a freshly made trailer needs a “certificate of origin” which can be complicated to get if you aren’t in the trailer making business. It can require a safety inspection and other formalities.

The other reason to refrain from “starting over” is that altering a vehicle number is a serious crime.

If it was abandoned on my property I think that I would start with a call to the sheriff. If you do find out that it is abandoned and can find the owner, offer to take it in trade for the “storage.” You might be able to get them to do an act of donation and a lost title form if needed.

If the owner can’t be found by law enforcement, you can go through the process of making a claim for it.

The case for abandonment must demonstrate that the trailer being there was “obvious, conspicuous, continuous and notorious.” That is, if the trailer was hidden and the owner is unaware of its location, it will be difficult to prove that it was abandoned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SouthernUnderGod

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    ProPull still exists. It’s the Central Hitch brand. I had my facts off in the previous post. Central Hitch was a HAULMARK dealer. Then they began making the ProPull brand. I’ve bought both from them.

If you have a ProPull serial number they should have a record of the original purchase.

The original sale would also have been registered with DMV as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom