Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

How many barrel shims are too many on AR Barrel Nut

I am building an AR and have built over 30 and this is the first time that I have ever not been able to get the barrel nut/gas tube to line up.

I am using Aero Precision's BAR barrel nut with their upper and their handguard. It came with like 5 shims and none of them get the barrel nut close enough to line up. It always falls either too far from the gastube hole or too close so when its torqued it passes it up.

I am stumped as to what to do. It looks like it needs more barrel shims.
    SASS #84934

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

The one time I used their BAR barrel nut I ran into this issue. I think my solution was to stop right below the minimum of the torque range. I couldn't seem to find the right combination of barrel shims either. I've used their Enhanced upper on a couple of builds and would gladly pay the extra money for the built in BAR handguard attachment points.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thperez1972 View Post
    The one time I used their BAR barrel nut I ran into this issue. I think my solution was to stop right below the minimum of the torque range. I couldn't seem to find the right combination of barrel shims either. I've used their Enhanced upper on a couple of builds and would gladly pay the extra money for the built in BAR handguard attachment points.

Yeah, I wish I would have just got that upper to begin with. One shim not enough, two or more shims and it just messes up the alignment even further.

I cant even seem to get close enough for a min torque. Anything more than hand tight and it over turns.
    SASS #84934

Marksman

User Info Menu

I am tired of messing with it. I am ordering an enhanced upper I guess.
    SASS #84934

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

I want to say it took me 20-30 of messing with it before I got to a place I was confortable.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Have you lapped the upper ? If not you may need to take a couple of thousandths off to get it tried up and that could make a lot of difference .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

On Target

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Lapping is easy and you can get it just right. It's the method I use.

Sic semper tyrannis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ozarkpugs View Post
    Have you lapped the upper ? If not you may need to take a couple of thousandths off to get it tried up and that could make a lot of difference .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by CG&L View Post
    Lapping is easy and you can get it just right. It's the method I use.
    https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...prod20220.aspx

Free men are not equal. Equal men are not free.

I like guns because they're f*cking awesome.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Thanks. I didn't lap it this time around. I never really thought about doing that for an AR build. This is the first time I have ever had a problem with a barrel nut not lining up fairly easy. I have use one shim or so a couple times but usually got it lined up easily.

I messed with that BAR nut so much yesterday till I said screw it and ordered an enhanced upper. I will use that other upper on the next build I guess.

Lapping didn't even cross my mind and I have the tools to do it.

Yesterday just wasn't my day and this project owned me.

SASS #84934

User Info Menu

I use Aero for most builds. Their chassis anyway. I really haven't run into it personally, but I would say use as many as it takes. If you go with the enhanced or the Atlas line from Aero you don't have to worry about it. They are a little more pricey, but much easier to deal with. Torque spec is 30-80 ft/lbs, which is a huge variance, but there is a reason why, and it's because of the exact issue you are having. I think lapping is a good idea. I don't know how much you really take off of the receiver doing that, never measure it, but it's always good to true it up. As many as it takes. I had a guy that bought an Aero kit and he ran into that issue. I wouldn't buy the kits, especially if they come from Delta Team Tactical. I'm not even sure why Aero allows Delta to market their stuff with their name on it. It degrades the product as far as I'm concerned. That's another topic though.
    Guns & Coffee