Join BayouShooter For Free
Cajun Ammo

Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast
    Former Yankee

User Info Menu

open carrier arrested

I heard a news report that a person openly carrying a firearm was arrested because he was within 1000' of a "parade" in new orleans. This 1000' arbitrary limit would not hold up under the strict scrutiny standard. Hopefully this arrest will be challenged. Since when can a constitutional right on public property be subject to a "distance limit". Suppose the legislature passed a law that says within a 1000' of a parade all 4th amendment protections would not apply, or a law that prhohibits free speech within a 1000' of a parade. Lets see where this post goes. Its about time that the change to the LA constitution to strict scrutiny be tested.

enthusiast

User Info Menu

Not sure if it’s a New Orleans thing or a Louisiana law, but I remember when reading the handbook on conceal carry before applying there was a section in there that stated you cannot carry within *x* amount of feet from a permitted event, followed by *i.e. parades, festivals etc*
    Stephen

Marksman

User Info Menu

And why would you open carry a rifle at a permitted parade anyhow. Seems like a few people are trying their hardest to give anti 2A people the momentum they need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Censored by "them"

enthusiast

User Info Menu

Wow, They didn't specify the gun on the 9 o'clock news. Open carrying a rifle at a parade, that is a DUMB idea. Might fly in middle of no where LA, but in Orleans? Only people that can get away with that are the thugs....
    Stephen

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MOTOR51 View Post
    And why would you open carry a rifle at a permitted parade anyhow. Seems like a few people are trying their hardest to give anti 2A people the momentum they need.
    Who said it was a rifle?
    "Incrementalism" is the weapon used by anti-gun forces to destroy the second amendment.
    "Compromise" is a negotiation term that can only be used one time - when you compromise a compromise, you have lost the entire issue.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” Hunter S. Thompson

enthusiast

User Info Menu

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...622fce617.html

Looks as though he is known to carry a rifle/pistol around.
    Stephen

Marksman

User Info Menu

open carrier arrested

Quote Originally Posted by Trailboss View Post
    Who said it was a rifle?
    Me

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orle...622fce617.html

Last edited by MOTOR51; June 9th, 2019 at 10:03 PM.
    Censored by "them"

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by met7881 View Post
    I heard a news report that a person openly carrying a firearm was arrested because he was within 1000' of a "parade" in new orleans. This 1000' arbitrary limit would not hold up under the strict scrutiny standard. Hopefully this arrest will be challenged. Since when can a constitutional right on public property be subject to a "distance limit". Suppose the legislature passed a law that says within a 1000' of a parade all 4th amendment protections would not apply, or a law that prhohibits free speech within a 1000' of a parade. Lets see where this post goes. Its about time that the change to the LA constitution to strict scrutiny be tested.
    It appears you may think this is the first arrest under the New Orleans law. I assure it is not. LA Revised Statute 95.6 sets up an arbitrary 1000' limit around a school within which one cannot open carry while on public property. That law has been in effect since at least the early 90's. It seems to have held up so far.

Sec. 54-342. - Illegal possession of weapons at demonstrations.
    (a) It shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer, to have in his possession or to have in any vehicle any weapon while participating in or attending a demonstration being held at a public place.
    (b) It shall be unlawful for any person, other than a law enforcement officer, to have in his possession or to have in any vehicle at a point within 1,000 feet of a demonstration at a public place any weapon after having first been advised by a law enforcement officer that a demonstration was taking place at a public place and after having been ordered by such officer to remove himself from the proscribed area until such time as he no longer is in possession of any weapon. This section shall not apply to any person in possession of any weapon in his private dwelling or place of business.
    (c) The following words, terms and phrases, when used in this section, shall have the meanings ascribed to them in this subsection, except where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
    (1) Demonstration shall mean two or more persons assembled together for the purpose of picketing, speechmaking, marching, holding vigils, or other such form of conduct, which has the effect, intent or propensity to draw a crowd or onlookers.
    (2) Law enforcement officer shall mean any duly appointed and acting federal, state, or local peace officer and any military or militia personnel called out or directed by constituted authority to keep the law and order provided that the law enforcement officer is on duty and present to actively police and control the demonstration and who is assigned this duty by his department or agency.
    (3) Weapons shall mean any pistol, rifle, shotgun or other firearms of any kind whether loaded or unloaded, air rifle, air pistol, knife, hatchet, ax, slingshot, blackjack, metal knuckles, mace, iron buckle, baseball bat, ax handle, chains, crowbar, hammer or other club or bludgeon or any other instrumentality, customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon.

Former Yankee

User Info Menu

This ordinance or law has not been tested under strict scrutiny yet. It would be hard for the "state" to justify 1000' for public safety.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by met7881 View Post
    This ordinance or law has not been tested under strict scrutiny yet. It would be hard for the "state" to justify 1000' for public safety.
    Once the phrase “public safety” is used it’s hard for the state NOT to justify anything.

Censored by "them"