Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Pretty much ready for primitive season over here...

I’ve been sitting on an Encore Pro Hunter frame for years now. I typically bow hunt in Tx and just haven’t had need or want for a break action rifle. Well, as luck would have it I was invited to join a hunting club around Fort Polk this year and decided to complete the “primitive” weapon. Got a great deal on a 35 Whelen barrel from MGM. Just so happens it was 20” and threaded; exactly what I was after. It also was listed with a pic scope base installed. And to top it off, it had a very small blemish on on the lug, so they gave me $100 off. Anyway, here’s my new “Primitive” rig. We have come a long way from flint lock in this state...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marksman

User Info Menu

Yeah, I wish I could hunt primitive with my 1876 Winchester. I think it’s more primitive except for follow up shots than my Lyman Great Plains. The GP is a tack driver so no need for follow ups. How’s the noise reduction on that thing with 35 Whelen?
    Sara mo ki kara ochiru

User Info Menu

One day I will have a setup like that but chambered in 358 grendel.

Have a wheelen now but hate it. Might like it more if it wasn't a h and r. But for my needs the custom 358 grendel will fill the bill just perfectly.

No sir, I ain't.

User Info Menu

Lol. "Primitive"

What scope is that on top?
    Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

It’s a Gen 1 PST. Went to sight in the other day and turns out the chamber is not 35 Whelen as listed on barrel. Sent it back to MGM. It was 358 Win apparently. Oh well crap happens. They are rebuilding and sending my a new one. Should be here in a week or so.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Picked this up last week from Gretna gun
    Traditions 35 Whelen
    The selling point on this vs the CVA was that the CVA threads on the barrel are 16x1 RH. Where as the traditions is standard 5/8x24

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	172D60FE-0773-46A6-9D80-A4D66042CF1C.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	259.3 KB 
ID:	87677

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 103M 95G View Post
    Picked this up last week from Gretna gun
    Traditions 35 Whelen
    The selling point on this vs the CVA was that the CVA threads on the barrel are 16x1 RH. Where as the traditions is standard 5/8x24

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	172D60FE-0773-46A6-9D80-A4D66042CF1C.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	259.3 KB 
ID:	87677
    How do those threads 5/8x24 work out on a 35 whelen? Also what can will you be using?
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I might start primitive hunting in MS soon. Is the 35 Whelen the go to for this? Seems to be the most popular but anything better in your opinions?

Marksman

User Info Menu

right there with you, I have a encore in 45-70 20" that I run with my hybrid slinging subsonic 405gr hard cast, very quite and hits like a hammer... you can hear the bullet hit the deer at 25 yrds, this set up has prob claimed 15+ deer

also have a brand new mgm 16.25" 45acp barrel, haven't killed with it yet but it slings the 230gr +p hst subsonic and expands over .86" on the water jug test.. this year she will draw blood lol

and I also picked up a 20" .44 mag barrel I need to get threaded and work on my subsonics for that one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B1DB798E-3239-4588-9953-9E57A0294090.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	87704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	303.6 KB 
ID:	87705   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Size:	302.0 KB 
ID:	87706  

Marksman

User Info Menu

encore 45acp, marlin 1895g pirogue hunting, encore 45-70
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	encore4.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	251.4 KB 
ID:	87709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	encore3.jpg 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	87708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45encore.jpg 
Size:	236.7 KB 
ID:	87710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1895suppressed.jpg 
Size:	230.6 KB 
ID:	87711