Join BayouShooter For Free
Pelican

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Tell Me About this Winchester

Back story....great uncle gave this to his nephew (my uncle) who gave it to me. Was told that my great uncle began to drill and tap the barrel to install bases for a scope....realizing some time after the fact that the scope was going to make loading and ejecting rounds a little difficult. Uncle says this is a 30-06.

So, the strap behind the hammer reads Winchester Model 1895. The barrel reads .30 U.S. MOD. 1903. S/N on the lever strike plate is 65###. Looks like the barrel may have had the end milled...or cut? Just seems awfully “flat” to me. The outer circumference doesn’t have a radius like I would expect to see on the end of a barrel. There are two other holes in the top strap that look “after the fact.” Not sure if those are original or maybe some other attempt at adding some sort of long range rear sight?

So...is this two different models joined together? What do I have, here? What do you know about this? What do you think?

Also, should I have any concerns with the holes if I want to take this thing out and bust a few caps?

I was able to get pretty good depth mic’s on the forward three holes. The one closest to the breech was a little hard to get an accurate measurement but seemed comparable to the adjacent hole. The depths vs barrel outside diameter are as follows (from breech towards barrel end):
    #1 = ~0.150” vs 1.085”
    #2 = 0.151” vs 1.065”
    #3 = 0.141” vs 0.887”
    #4 = 0.126” vs 0.872”

Thanks in advance!

Pics:

Sent from the ISS using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BlueShamu; June 13th, 2019 at 11:28 AM.

Intermediate

User Info Menu

Winchester Model 1895
    Living the dream!

User Info Menu

Winchester 1895 as stated above in .30-40 Krag
    Last edited by jimmyhat1978; June 13th, 2019 at 09:50 AM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Tell Me About this Winchester

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyhat1978 View Post
    Winchester 1895 as stated above in .30-40 Krag
    So, my uncle tells me it’s a 30-06....and even had a full box of 150 grain Winchester ammo. Will this shoot the 30-06?

I read on another forum about these being chambered in 30-03 at one point in history...which cartridge is apparently the same except slightly longer than an -06 by about 0.07”. They said the -06 fires through the -03...just not as accurate. Is this similar for the 30-40 krag?

Disclaimer...my uncle said he has never fired the rifle and is by no means any type of authority on weapons other than how to shoot them!
    Last edited by BlueShamu; June 13th, 2019 at 04:30 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

It was originally chambered in .30-03 not .30-40 (Krag). However, it could have been rechambered at some point. I recommend making a chamber cast to find out. Nice rifle!
    Doug

If you do what your enemy expects, you will die.

Keytruda came, saw, and kicked my cancers ass!

Monolithic Mentor

User Info Menu

Looking online it does appear to indeed to be a 30-03 which used 220gr bullets.
    I'm thinking a 30-06 cartridge with 150gr or 180gr bullets may chamber in it.
    Last edited by hunter5567; June 13th, 2019 at 08:19 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hunter5567 View Post
    30 US is 30-40 Krag
    Yes, however this rifle is clearly marked ".30 U.S. Model 03" so it was .30-03 originally not .30-40 Krag.
    Doug

All or nothing

User Info Menu

Serial number would be around the 1908- mark.
    Yes the muzzle is correct. No crown.
    It would have been a mistake to rechamber that particular barrel to -06 as the rifling is to suit the slower 220 gr -03 load and accuracy would have suffered. See if a local gunsmith can do a chamber casting for you to be sure.
    A decent gunsmith could also fill those holes, likely by threading them and setting screws then grinding flush before a blu touch up.
    I was fortunate enough to shoot a later date model in 30-06 with diopter rear sight and I very much enjoyed it. I have a Spencer carbine model that I love to shoot (but is not cost effective) and the Winchester had a very similar feel.
    Very nice piece Shamu
    Contrary to popular belief, a head shot is not necessarily a guaranteed kill shot....but it sure does take the fight out of 'em.

and if one in every 100,000,000 M&M's contained enough cyanide to kill a person, the Mars candy company would be forced by public outcry to correct it———
    Bangswitch

Marksman

User Info Menu

Appreciate all the feedback. Just found this link searching around the www box... More confusion and noise. Says the 30 US is 30-40 Krag.

https://winchestercollector.org/models/model-1895/

I sent an email to Winchester. Probably get quicker results if I call them. I’ll let everybody know what comes of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlueShamu View Post
    Appreciate all the feedback. Just found this link searching around the www box... More confusion and noise. Says the 30 US is 30-40 Krag.

https://winchestercollector.org/models/model-1895/

I sent an email to Winchester. Probably get quicker results if I call them. I’ll let everybody know what comes of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Except yours is marked ".30 U.S. Model 1903", which was .30-03. Attempting to fire a .30-40 Krag, if it will chamber, would be catastrophic to the rifle and you. You need to make a chamber cast.
    Doug