Recomendatons for 20 Ga Pump for Youth

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    It's time for a 20 gauge shotgun for one of my grandsons. He's already had experience with .22 and .410 now it is time for a general purpose shotgun for squirrel, ducks, deer, etc. His older brother has the 20 ga Mossburg from Academy at $190 but I also see a Stevens 20 ga pump for the same price.

What would be your choice for a 20 ga pump, not necessarily just these, or what to stay away from?

(12 ga and riifles will follow when the boys are older - and for the girls too but they've got a few years yet)

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    It’s going to be hard to beat an Remington 870, mossberg 500 or maverick. I prefer the mossberg 500 simply because of where the controls are.

The maverick is cheaper but can still take a beating.

If he’s a smaller fellow. They have youth models that may fit him better. Keeping in mind, a smaller lightweight shotgun will have more felt recoil which may be a deterrent for some.

I think it’s awesome that you’re buying him something like that. My first shotgun was a Stevens bolt action 410 given to me by my dad. I’ve still got it today.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    My son had/has a Maverick youth 20ga. Never had an issue with it and it has the spacer type buttstock that can be adjusted. I've been happy with it.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    As to the OP, between the 2 shotguns listed, the Mossberg. Hands down. Especially if there’s no difference in price. There are other barrels, chokes and stocks readily available for that model too. My oldest son still has his from the early 90’s and still hunts with it.

jgb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I know you asked for recomendations for pump guns, but I bought my son a beretta 391 youth model auto. I set it up to hold one shell at first. You can add to the stock as grandson grows and have a great gun with less recoil that will last him his entire life.

Daquackhead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2022
    Laplace, LA
    I have a Remington Express Magnum 870 youth in 20 ga. which has survived three kids from beginners. It excepts 2 3/4 and 3'. It is still going and virtually indestructible. Looks like it has been to war several times and still is ticking.

Mr Smooth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2022
    Destrehan
    Browning BPS is a great shotgun, can use left or right handed bottom eject.

gauthement

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Houma
    It's time for a 20 gauge shotgun for one of my grandsons. He's already had experience with .22 and .410 now it is time for a general purpose shotgun for squirrel, ducks, deer, etc. His older brother has the 20 ga Mossburg from Academy at $190 but I also see a Stevens 20 ga pump for the same price.

What would be your choice for a 20 ga pump, not necessarily just these, or what to stay away from?

(12 ga and riifles will follow when the boys are older - and for the girls too but they've got a few years yet)

old school used 870 20 ga, gun shows have them from time to time, have mine now for nearly 40 years, still like new

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    Throw me on the Rem 870 train. That was my first shotgun, was awesome, and when I gave it to someone as a wedding gift they were incredibly happy. They got a divorce...I didn't get it back, dang!

alexla4

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2022
    Louisiana
    Academy has the Winchester SXP which is one of the Turks. It has pretty wood and short barrel and LOP. I bought a Tristar semiautomatic 20 guage for my son last year and he’s put about 400 shells through it on the skeet field with no hiccups. Not sure how these will hold up long term. I grew up shooting A5’s and remi 1100’s and they stood the test of time.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Amazing how this thread just keeps going. I started the original post in 2019 and appreciate the continuing comments. I bought the Maverick for my grandson and gave it to him for his birthday.

The granddaughters are currently into .22's and we are having a lot of fun with them.
    IMG_2085.jpg

mylongscreenname

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2020
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I know you asked for pump but I suggest you also look at the Stoeger Condor. They make a youth 20ga over / under. Rock solid gun. I have 3 sons and gun is still in great shape. 3 inch chamber is great option for ducks, turkey but can take him to shoot skeet etc. Have to remember that if he gets into the outdoors that this gun will get very little use. Before you know it you will be getting him a 12 and a deer rifle. Just my 2cents.

CaptPeace

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2022
    Pearl River ,LA

I bought my son an 870 20 gauge youth model when he was 8 and it kicks like a mule!!! Ended up getting him the yieldez 20ga over and under from Acadamy. They are built on the 686 patent and relatively inexpensive ($400) it’s been a really good gun. He’s **** about 1500 rounds out of it in the last 3 years between dove, duck and skeet. I have no complaints about it at all.

Last edited:

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I got the tristar viper semi auto youth size for my wife, it shoots great but we don't have a ton of shells through it.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom