In vehicle training

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Sad to hear that is happening in Slidell. Glad you are ok. The Dell isn’t what it was when I was a kid. I had a guy texting and almost side swiped me. I caught up to him, rolled down my window and threw my beer at him.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So, on a public road, you raised your weapon and (presumably) aimed it at another civilian (also with a gun), with the intent (again presumably), to shoot him if he (presumably), did not get back in his vehicle, you report it as such, with witnesses, and a plate #, and no LE organization would handle this as a documented crime? :confused:

I would love to hear the resident cops opinions on this?!?

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    LEO said they have a BOLO out on the vehicle. But other than that they can’t arrest him on my word alone.
    Best case scenario is they pull him over and he does something wrong at that time.

Technically there were no witnesses because I’m the only one who called the police.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Sad to hear that is happening in Slidell. Glad you are ok. The Dell isn’t what it was when I was a kid. I had a guy texting and almost side swiped me. I caught up to him, rolled down my window and threw my beer at him.

The hilarity of this statement wasn’t lost on me. :thumbsup:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So, on a public road, you raised your weapon and (presumably) aimed it at another civilian (also with a gun), with the intent (again presumably), to shoot him if he (presumably), did not get back in his vehicle, you report it as such, with witnesses, and a plate #, and no LE organization would handle this as a documented crime? :confused:

So you're wondering why no LE organization handled xobelkcat's actions as a crime. Let's start by asking why you believe, based on xobelkcat's account, he committed a crime?

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    So you're wondering why no LE organization handled xobelkcat's actions as a crime. Let's start by asking why you believe, based on xobelkcat's account, he committed a crime?

I didn’t take emperor’s post as saying I had committed a crime. And I assure all of y’all that I broke no laws in this incident. I’ve spoken to many LEO’s about the situation and they all reassured me that I had handled it correctly.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

I didn’t take emperor’s post as saying I had committed a crime. And I assure all of y’all that I broke no laws in this incident. I’ve spoken to many LEO’s about the situation and they all reassured me that I had handled it correctly.

I'm not so sure about your interpretation of his post. He commented "no LE organization would handle this as a documented crime." What is "this?" The only thing he talks about is your actions. There's nothing else in his post to label as a crime.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I'm not so sure about your interpretation of his post. He commented "no LE organization would handle this as a documented crime." What is "this?" The only thing he talks about is your actions. There's nothing else in his post to label as a crime.

I see what you’re saying. I hadn’t looked at like that. But he is free to feel however he wants.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region

Excuse me. "This" incident!

The OP's adversary broke the law (according to the OP's story). On top of that, he is implying that he nearly had to shoot the adversary (in self defense of course). Also, in keeping with the truthfulness of the story, sounds like some reckless endangerment with the vehicle, or other traffic violations to boot. If the OP felt confident enough to shoot this jackass if necessary, then it stands to reason the jackass is a threat to public safety. After all, he apparently displayed all of the symptoms of a classic road rage example, and/or may have been impaired as well.

Down below is at least one Revised Statute that deals with this incident on the behalf of the OP's adversary. What I was wondering was why "this" incident is not reported as a crime? The OP reported criminal activity, and the LE Orgs. he cited are telling him that's all. Correct me if I am wrong but the caveat of the Statute in paragraph B states the LEO has discretion to issue a summons or arrest. Apparently, there will be neither. That is unless they run the plate, run across him, stop him, and as the OP stated, the jackass is in the process of a real time crime.

I am honestly confused! If it was reported as a crime, why is it not a crime? People are arrested all the time after the fact and when another party files a police report with the perp in absentia?!?

Just wondering.

§1382. Negligent carrying of a concealed handgun

A. Negligent carrying of a concealed handgun is the intentional or criminally negligent carrying by any person, whether or not authorized or licensed to carry or possess a concealed handgun, under the following circumstances:

(1) When it is foreseeable that the handgun may discharge, or when others are placed in reasonable apprehension that the handgun may discharge.

(2) When the handgun is being carried, brandished, or displayed under circumstances that create a reasonable apprehension on the part of members of the public or a law enforcement official that a crime is being committed or is about to be committed.

B. It shall be within the discretion of the law enforcement officer to issue a summons to a person accused of committing this offense in lieu of making a physical arrest. The seizure of the handgun pending resolution of the offense shall only be discretionary in the instance where the law enforcement officer issues a summons to the person accused. If the law enforcement officer makes a physical arrest of the person accused, the handgun and the person's license to carry such handgun shall be seized.

C. Whoever commits the offense of negligent carrying of a concealed handgun shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, or imprisoned without hard labor for not more than six months, or both. The adjudicating judge may also order the forfeiture of the handgun and may suspend or revoke any permit or license authorizing the carrying of the handgun.

Acts 1996, 1st Ex. Sess., No. 4, §1, eff. April 19, 1996.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Maybe it helps to keep the crime numbers down if they don’t make a report and follow through. Is it getting close to election time? There was a recent rash of home invasions that wasn’t brought to the public’s attention till social media outed the PD. Just a thought.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Maybe it helps to keep the crime numbers down if they don’t make a report and follow through. Is it getting close to election time? There was a recent rash of home invasions that wasn’t brought to the public’s attention till social media outed the PD. Just a thought.

I think the LEA will pull a file# for this but the LEA does not go on the nightly news with every file#.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I see what you’re saying. I hadn’t looked at like that. But he is free to feel however he wants.

Just curious... you're standing in the road pointing a gun at the schmuck... what's behind him? What happens if you miss? (Not knocking you, just making the point....)

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just curious... you're standing in the road pointing a gun at the schmuck... what's behind him? What happens if you miss? (Not knocking you, just making the point....)

I believe the point of the thread was to ask about the availability of less traditional training. There are a number of fact the OP did not put out there as they are not relevant to his issue: what was behind the threat, the caliber of the round, the type of round. But just because he did not cover those does not mean he did not consider them. They just didn't matter to the topic.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I hate horns. That’s why it’s illegal to blow them in that scenario

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Kinda a lot to put into text.

A car was behind me at a red light (long line of traffic), ------------
    I’m glad he didn’t raise his gun! I don’t know how well I would have been able to make a clean shot from my position.

I edited your post for brevity and TBH I skimmed it. The bottom line for me is I don't react to other drivers on the road. If it is a mistake they make or malicious I just quietly back off and let them have their victory, unopposed. If they are a psycho looking to engage, I don't draw attention to myself. No matter what you do it is possible it escalates vs deescalates the situation. I recently had a Road-Rager engage me because I got out of his way or so it seemed. I honestly don't know if I triggered him of if it was just fate. Among the reasons are I don't want to antagonize the idiot and have them take it out on someone else. No matter what the other person is doing disengaging is the plan.

I am guessing the LEA also can't really do much without proof. I can claim you did XYZ and with no proof it won't matter. Great if I am accusing you for no reason. Not so much if it is true.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I believe the point of the thread was to ask about the availability of less traditional training. There are a number of fact the OP did not put out there as they are not relevant to his issue: what was behind the threat, the caliber of the round, the type of round. But just because he did not cover those does not mean he did not consider them. They just didn't matter to the topic.

I'm questioning the wisdom of engaging the opponent rather than evading. In traffic with lots of bystanders and other drivers. I agree that sometimes there is no other option. I'm wondering if this was one of those cases. He seemed willing to have the scenario torn apart. They certainly will in a vehicles training class...

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana

^this

I actually stated more than once in this thread that I was still buckled in, foot still on the brake, vehicle still in gear. I realized after the incident that this was not best for my safety or to give me proper body position to defend myself, and that I why I started this thread.

And just to let yall know that while my weapon was *on* the guy there was woods behind him. .40s&w 180gr gold dot’s 4* barrel 900fps +/-
    Is there any other information that y’all feel is necessary to judge this situation better.
    If someone else can learn something from this I would be glad, so if picking apart every detail helps well have at it.

Top Bottom