In vehicle training

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    ^this

I actually stated more than once in this thread that I was still buckled in, foot still on the brake, vehicle still in gear. I realized after the incident that this was not best for my safety or to give me proper body position to defend myself, and that I why I started this thread.

And just to let yall know that while my weapon was *on* the guy there was woods behind him. .40s&w 180gr gold dot’s 4* barrel 900fps +/-
    Is there any other information that y’all feel is necessary to judge this situation better.
    If someone else can learn something from this I would be glad, so if picking apart every detail helps well have at it.

I learned a lot so far. Thank you for sharing.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm questioning the wisdom of engaging the opponent rather than evading. In traffic with lots of bystanders and other drivers. I agree that sometimes there is no other option. I'm wondering if this was one of those cases. He seemed willing to have the scenario torn apart. They certainly will in a vehicles training class...

And a vehicle training class is the appropriate place for tearing his scenario apart.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I guess a little advice I would have is to always be non-confrontational while driving. It's just not worth it trying to flip off, honk at, or provoke drivers in any way (not saying you did any of these). I use my horn to keep people from swerving into me and that's about it.

As for true vehicle training, I would say that Bearco or Advantage Group would both be excellent options, but the best training you can get is just being prepared to drive away. Gunfights from a vehicle are not good. They are even less good if you are strapped/locked in a cage (car) and an adversary has the freedom to move to cover or concealment.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Create space, I know he pulled in front so it might not be possible in that scenario. You should never pull up right behind the car in front of you for many reasons. If the 18 wheeler 3 cars back is not stopping then you can go around and not get smashed, if the guy in front gets out with a gun you can run over him if necessary. While I’m on the subject of cars, please stay out of the center lane on a multi lane highway, I’ve seen numerous people get killed by 18 wheelers mostly because the vehicles had no avenue of escape. I guess my rant was only partly on topic but oh well, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Ok, I’m not done. The worst place to be in a scenario like that is in your vehicle taking gunfire. Partly the reason I keep drivers in the car when I’m on a traffic stop. I know a guy(I’ll withhold his name) who gets bitched at by his wife all the time for removing his seatbelt while slow speed driving on surface streets and in traffic just to eliminate the extra step of removing the seatbelt if necessary. I’m not SME on shootouts from vehicles but I’ve had my share of scenarios where my weapon was pointed at someone before I was able to exit my car, it’s not a fun or good position to be in.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    As far as escaping, I guess looking back I had an opportunity if I was willing to take the risk of immediately overtaking him using the shoulder. But the situation happened very quickly with traffic stacked behind me. Trust me I didn’t want to be in that situation. I avoid conflict like like I avoid the flu!

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    As far as escaping, I guess looking back I had an opportunity if I was willing to take the risk of immediately overtaking him using the shoulder. But the situation happened very quickly with traffic stacked behind me. Trust me I didn’t want to be in that situation. I avoid conflict like like I avoid the flu!

If you have the option to take
    The shoulder I believe you have a better chance of pushing through than firing while unbuckling a seatbelt and giving the guy the ability to advance on you.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Ok, I’m not done. The worst place to be in a scenario like that is in your vehicle taking gunfire. Partly the reason I keep drivers in the car when I’m on a traffic stop. I know a guy(I’ll withhold his name) who gets bitched at by his wife all the time for removing his seatbelt while s
    low speed driving on surface streets and in traffic just to eliminate the extra step of removing the seatbelt if necessary. I’m not SME on shootouts from vehicles but I’ve had my share of scenarios where my weapon was pointed at someone before I was able to exit my car, it’s not a fun or good position to be in.

Again, I realized that I made mistakes keeping me in that *cage*. That is the whole reason I started this thread.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Again, I realized that I made mistakes keeping me in that *cage*. That is the whole reason I started this thread.

I had a training officer while I was in motors that stayed on my ass about getting too close to the car in front of me. The first time I had a car lock up the brakes behind me and I was able to haul ass to get out of the way he never had to remind me again

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    If you have the option to take
    The shoulder I believe you have a better chance of pushing through than firing while unbuckling a seatbelt and giving the guy the ability to advance on you.

It was a split second call. Gut reaction took over. We were going 40mph when the guy swerved in front of me and locked up the brakes. I drive high center of gravity vehicles and instinctively avoid abrupt maneuvers at speed.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It was a split second call. Gut reaction took over. We were going 40mph when the guy swerved in front of me and locked up the brakes. I drive high center of gravity vehicles and instinctively avoid abrupt maneuvers at speed.

I was in a pursuit with a uhaul the other night, you would be surprised what some vehicles can do without flipping lol

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Attachments

• want-to-dress-like-a-woman-make-you-look-thinner_2.jpg
      want-to-dress-like-a-woman-make-you-look-thinner_2.jpg
      215.5 KB · Views: 125

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Create space, I know he pulled in front so it might not be possible in that scenario. You should never pull up right behind the car in front of you for many reasons. If the 18 wheeler 3 cars back is not stopping then you can go around and not get smashed, if the guy in front gets out with a gun you can run over him if necessary. While I’m on the subject of cars, please stay out of the center lane on a multi lane highway, I’ve seen numerous people get killed by 18 wheelers mostly because the vehicles had no avenue of escape. I guess my rant was only partly on topic but oh well, sorry.

Rule of thumb is if you can't see the contact patches of the vehicle in front you are too close. (When stopped) Add distance with speed. I do think most people follow too close in most situations / speeds. Once you get too close you have very little in terms of options. I see it merging all the time. I don't think a lot of people get that stopping distance is an exponential of speed, as is turning radius.

Top Bottom