In vehicle training

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    So where do you have it?

1. Laying on passenger seat *(a,b,c,d,e,g)
    2. Wedged next to the seat *(b,c,d,e,g)
    3. Gun magnet *(b,c,d,e,f,g)
    4. Holster mounted to the vehicle *(d,e,f,g)
    5. Center console *(d,e,g)
    6. Other

----------------------
    a - able to shift during normal driving
    b - may end up in an unknown location in the event of a wreck
    c - may end up as a projectile in the event of a wreck
    d - may need to move eyes off threat to grab it
    e - will be visible if you must exit the vehicle in a rush
    f - visible notice to people looking in the vehicle there may be something of value inside
    g - must expose weapon to exit with weapon concealed

I believe a few years ago that he mentioned he keeps it in his cup-holder and is aware of the potential consequences (a, b, c, e, f, g) of said choice.

That being said - anyone not carrying appendix (or maybe OWB if that's your thing) doesn't have reliable safe/quick access to their firearm. #ChangeMyMind

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    So where do you have it?

1. Laying on passenger seat *(a,b,c,d,e,g)
    2. Wedged next to the seat *(b,c,d,e,g)
    3. Gun magnet *(b,c,d,e,f,g)
    4. Holster mounted to the vehicle *(d,e,f,g)
    5. Center console *(d,e,g)
    6. Other

----------------------
    a - able to shift during normal driving
    b - may end up in an unknown location in the event of a wreck
    c - may end up as a projectile in the event of a wreck
    d - may need to move eyes off threat to grab it
    e - will be visible if you must exit the vehicle in a rush
    f - visible notice to people looking in the vehicle there may be something of value inside
    g - must expose weapon to exit with weapon concealed

I believe a few years ago that he mentioned he keeps it in his cup-holder and is aware of the potential consequences (a, b, c, e, f, g) of said choice.

That being said - anyone not carrying appendix (or maybe OWB if that's your thing) doesn't have reliable safe/quick access to their firearm. #ChangeMyMind

https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums...-With-Pics!/page3&highlight=truck+gun+holster

htj0146h5sc8vfz7ageg.jpg

tkwwmfvw963grnd3zw.jpg

4iwmiad18zvwj3e2sm7.jpg

It is why I asked if anyone knew more details about the random shooting by the mental case.

Coincidentally, just yesterday I was flagged down by two separate drivers in two separate vehicles on the same street. Both had an occupant in the front passenger seat, both pulled astride of me. One vehicle was asking me some kind of nonsensical round about questions about were they could find some lawn work. The passenger never made eye contact with me. Unbeknownst to both of them, I secretively had my hand on that pistol once I determined, as a precaution, this could be a setup.

They had no idea whatsoever, but I will tell you all this; had one of them pulled a gun, it would have taken me milliseconds to counter, and I believe before any muzzle was trained on me.

In this particular incident, we were both heading in the same direction, so I kind of shorted the alignment of our lines of sight. In other words, I stopped a little before we were equally astride and made the driver have to lean forward in his vehicle to talk to me, and the occupant would have had to either exit the vehicle entirely or reach out and back.

Just a little situational awareness! Call me crazy! :p

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    It's going nowhere unless I wrench the base out of there with brute strength, and as you can see that is a molded hard plastic "glock" holster. It requires a slight click to seat it, and to draw it.

It is perfect!

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It's going nowhere unless I wrench the base out of there with brute strength, and as you can see that is a molded hard plastic "glock" holster. It requires a slight click to seat it, and to draw it.

It is perfect!

I wouldn't say it's perfect. There are still several drawbacks. The pistol does not stay in the same position relative to you. If you are wearing a holster, it's always at the same position on your body regardless of how you turn. Your brain is able to go to a specific spot on your body almost every time without looking. But the position of the mounted holster could easily be at a different distance and angle depending on how your upper body is situated, i.e., if you are leaning or if you are turned to look at something. Now you're either grasping for the pistol or you're taking your eyes off a potential threat to know exactly where it is relative to you. When transitioning to concealed carry to exit the vehicle, you have to now holster the pistol while seated or step out with it unconcealed. Holstering a weapon while seated is multiple times more difficult than drawing it while seated. And if the situation escalates to the point where you do not want to be immobile in the driver's seat but hasn't escalated to the point where you are in danger of receiving great bodily harm or death, you have a limited number of option, all with negative consequences: grab the pistol and step out of the vehicle and potentially escalating the situation by displaying a firearm, taking the time to holster it concealed and keeping yourself longer in the position you are trying to escape, or leaving the weapon and leaving you unarmed should the situation escalate on its own.

That being said, it's a pretty good setup if you understand the downsides. And making it sturdy but removable does get rid on one of the drawbacks of the typical vehicle mounted holsters. As a personal preference, I would have figured how to rig up a Safariland ALS holster. Once the nub is pushed, there is no effort to draw the pistol. And the ALS system is easy to activate with a normal draw. After very little training, it becomes a part of the draw because it works with the normal grip needed to draw.

Maybe I'm just spoiled because most of the time mine is on an OTW holster on my right hip. But I also practice drawing from various positions, including from being seated in a vehicle.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    In this particular incident, we were both heading in the same direction, so I kind of shorted the alignment of our lines of sight. In other words, I stopped a little before we were equally astride and made the driver have to lean forward in his vehicle to talk to me, and the occupant would have had to either exit the vehicle entirely or reach out and back.

Just a little situational awareness! Call me crazy! :p

That's a good strategy. On a similar note, I see videos where a driver pulls a gun on the police and I see where the police are occasionally all up in the driver's window. I was always taught to barely go past the back of the driver's window. Make the driver turn a bit in his seat to talk. That makes it easier to see a driver reaching for something when he shouldn't be.

And never stand directly in from of a house door. Always stand off center on the side with the door handle. If you stand on the other side from the handle, someone can pull the door open a couple of inches and have a clear shot. But on the other side, someone has to either reach out and around with a gun or they have to open the door pretty wide. Although either side is equally bad if they just shoot through the door.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I wouldn't say it's perfect. There are still several drawbacks. The pistol does not stay in the same position relative to you. If you are wearing a holster, it's always at the same position on your body regardless of how you turn. Your brain is able to go to a specific spot on your body almost every time without looking. But the position of the mounted holster could easily be at a different distance and angle depending on how your upper body is situated, i.e., if you are leaning or if you are turned to look at something. Now you're either grasping for the pistol or you're taking your eyes off a potential threat to know exactly where it is relative to you. When transitioning to concealed carry to exit the vehicle, you have to now holster the pistol while seated or step out with it unconcealed. Holstering a weapon while seated is multiple times more difficult than drawing it while seated. And if the situation escalates to the point where you do not want to be immobile in the driver's seat but hasn't escalated to the point where you are in danger of receiving great bodily harm or death, you have a limited number of option, all with negative consequences: grab the pistol and step out of the vehicle and potentially escalating the situation by displaying a firearm, taking the time to holster it concealed and keeping yourself longer in the position you are trying to escape, or leaving the weapon and leaving you unarmed should the situation escalate on its own.

That being said, it's a pretty good setup if you understand the downsides. And making it sturdy but removable does get rid on one of the drawbacks of the typical vehicle mounted holsters. As a personal preference, I would have figured how to rig up a Safariland ALS holster. Once the nub is pushed, there is no effort to draw the pistol. And the ALS system is easy to activate with a normal draw. After very little training, it becomes a part of the draw because it works with the normal grip needed to draw.

Maybe I'm just spoiled because most of the time mine is on an OTW holster on my right hip. But I also practice drawing from various positions, including from being seated in a vehicle.

Of course this is the retention flaw in my exiting the truck: In a hurry, I just go from truck holster to back pocket. As you alluded, brandishing the weapon just by exiting the truck is foolish; unless the situation is already out of reconciliation. Now, that said; in every case of me ever exiting my truck since this cup holster was deployed, I have NEVER exited in a hurry nor had to hurriedly hide my weapon. So, for every instance thus far, and since I bought this Sticky holster, I have placed it in the Sticky holster; then slide the whole thing in my back pocket, or IWB at 1:00 o'clock if I am going to be out of my truck for long periods.

Nothing really is perfect, but I feel confident in my setup, and as you know, that is most of the mental battle.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    That's a good strategy. On a similar note, I see videos where a driver pulls a gun on the police and I see where the police are occasionally all up in the driver's window. I was always taught to barely go past the back of the driver's window. Make the driver turn a bit in his seat to talk. That makes it easier to see a driver reaching for something when he shouldn't be.

And never stand directly in from of a house door. Always stand off center on the side with the door handle. If you stand on the other side from the handle, someone can pull the door open a couple of inches and have a clear shot. But on the other side, someone has to either reach out and around with a gun or they have to open the door pretty wide. Although either side is equally bad if they just shoot through the door.

I won't be approaching any doors I suspect someone is behind with a gun for nefarious purposes any time soon. That's ya'lls ball game! ;)

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I just read this whole thread and even though emperor has a nice holster rig in his vehicle I still believe not having your handgun on your person inside of a vehicle is a less than optimal choice.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I just read this whole thread and even though emperor has a nice holster rig in his vehicle I still believe not having your handgun on your person inside of a vehicle is a less than optimal choice.

I Concur, I have the same pistol in the same holster in the same place on my person daily.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom