Dash cam recommendation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I’m using an aukey branded one from amazon. It’s HD, wide angle, and had a coupon to make it under 50 bucks. Added a 20 dollar *hard wire* kit that adds motion sensing and plugs into your obd2 port so you don’t have to splice any wires. So far so good. Starts when my cars off, and will turn on if someone walks in front of the car (for parking lot incidents when you are not in the car, I back in everywhere)

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I know dash-cams are all the rage. Low-jacking company vehicles is too. I have one problem with them. DISCOVERY

In a civil suit your dash-cam could be subpoenaed and used to unfairly mis-characterize your driving behavior to either make a case against you or discredit your case against another driver. The same concerns are in play with lowjacks. You may have an employee that drives like a jackass and exposes you to unforeseen risks, and by tracking his/her habits you are digging your own grave.

This is my personal opinion and should not be used as legal advice, but is good for thought.

Forgotten

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 30, 2016
    Lafayette, LA
    My current setup is a garmin 55 on the dash and a garmin 45 for the rear. I use the park mode cables so it auto records when I start the truck. They have a newer model the 56 or 46. It’s crystal clear. Uses micro SD cards and records at 1440p 30fps a 64g card does 8 hours of video.

cbbr

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    I have a BlackSys F/R system, but would never buy another one. I wouldn't buy anything else from blackboxmycar.com either. It would be a great setup if the wifi worked, and they were a great seller until the wifi failed and I was going to have to ship it back to Canada... The video looks great, but the connectivity sucks if that matters.

As far as a subpoena goes, put a small sd card in it and set it to over-write. And if you are going to drive like a dumbass, turn it off. Mine has saved me once and paid for itself when it did.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Looking at the Aukey’s on Amazon.

I’m leaning more towards the slimmer one that mounts behind the rear view mirror, but it seems like either one would be pretty obvious and could give a thief a reason to bust out the window to get it.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I have a BlackSys F/R system, but would never buy another one. I wouldn't buy anything else from blackboxmycar.com either. It would be a great setup if the wifi worked, and they were a great seller until the wifi failed and I was going to have to ship it back to Canada... The video looks great, but the connectivity sucks if that matters.

As far as a subpoena goes, put a small sd card in it and set it to over-write. And if you are going to drive like a dumbass, turn it off. Mine has saved me once and paid for itself when it did.

To each his own. I considered myself to be a pretty laid back driver and some would say pretty skilled at it, but I’m not perfect and I’m just not interested in creating hours of discovery. Sure set it to overwrite, but since you opened that can of worms by having the camera now the opposing attorney gets to ask you why you delete footage every so often.

I know I’ve been blessed/lucky, but I’ve never been involved in, or witness to an accident that either the officer couldn’t clearly tell what happened or had multiple detailed eyewitness accounts.

And I know the old saying. If you're not doing anything wrong what do you have to hide? Simply put I don’t know yet.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Looking at the Aukey’s on Amazon.

I’m leaning more towards the slimmer one that mounts behind the rear view mirror, but it seems like either one would be pretty obvious and could give a thief a reason to bust out the window to get it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FGL63X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I ordered, and it's actually a lot smaller than I was expecting. Really doesn't "get in the way".

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Hardwi...6530VHP2BYY&psc=1&refRID=SG1YRC47K6530VHP2BYY

Here's the wiring kit I'm using.

View from outside the car:
    G4n2YwR.jpg

From inside the car:
    Mfng40v.jpg

oecplMe.jpg

Wires are tucked into the headliner, across the A pillar, and down the A pillar to under the dash, plugged into the OBD2 port

Last edited:

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072FGL63X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I ordered, and it's actually a lot smaller than I was expecting. Really doesn't "get in the way".

Wires are tucked into the headliner, across the A pillar, and down the A pillar to under the dash, plugged into the OBD2 port

The listing says the camera will pick up plates. It's 1080p and only 30 fps. How well does it capture plates at a stop? What about while driving?

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    The listing says the camera will pick up plates. It's 1080p and only 30 fps. How well does it capture plates at a stop? What about while driving?

Strangely I never checked. So I just pulled my memory card and watched the video. Cars and scenery came in very clear, but plates not so much. I can see a plate on a car a few feet ahead of me while stopped, but cannot make them out on the cars passing by. Probably the camera, but I'm not sure what the resolution is on my 2012 macbook air.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I run this one:
    https://www.amazon.com/Dashcam-Dashboard-Resolution-Nighthawk-Wide-Angle/dp/B07DF8MQX1

It takes great pics...except for in low light whenever someone breaks into your vehicle, pulls it off the windshield, and somewhat passes by their face while they're in your back seat stealing your stuff. Or so I heard.

Anyways, the videos are great while driving and it does pick up plates.

Oh, and I have an extra one (NIB) and a 64GB memory card. Anyone who wants it is welcome to PM me with an offer.

Edit to add: I bought one for the GF and then decided that convincing her that she needed it in her car wasn't worth the headache.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Strangely I never checked. So I just pulled my memory card and watched the video. Cars and scenery came in very clear, but plates not so much. I can see a plate on a car a few feet ahead of me while stopped, but cannot make them out on the cars passing by. Probably the camera, but I'm not sure what the resolution is on my 2012 macbook air.

I would suspect it's the camera. I've handled quite a bit of surveillance video over the years. 1080p/30fps should be good enough to catch the stationary plates but I don't think I've seen that resolution/frame rate pick up a plate on a moving car without a bit of tinkering.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Noob, that looks perfect. Thanks for those pics. Does the screen stay lit up the whole time it’s on or recording?

Austin, that one seems large and noticeable, I’d be afraid that would give someone a reason to break in in the first place.

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I have this in my XJ. Works great and adjusts well to all light settings even with a tinted shield. I wired it in to the ignition-on hot wire on my overhead console and hid all the wires within. Came out super clean and now I know everytime the key is turned it will be recording automatically.

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Dashboard-Camera-Recorder-6-Lane/dp/B01M592J9C

I got one of the amazon universal mount kits that clamp on the goose neck for the rear view mirror. The suction cups dont hold up to heat as well as a clamp. Also you cant use that on tint.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    hhLXzh0.jpg

How it looks on the computer. The video doesn’t actually look dark in the corners like this cell phone pic makes it look.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Noob, that looks perfect. Thanks for those pics. Does the screen stay lit up the whole time it’s on or recording?

Austin, that one seems large and noticeable, I’d be afraid that would give someone a reason to break in in the first place.
    It's not. You can't even see it from the outside. I have the top of it next to my rear view mirror behind my very dark tint line.

The only visible part is the little camera lens sticking down.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Looking for updated dash cam recs. Has anyone upgraded or found anything else they like. I can't imagine a world in which Austin is still running the same cam from 2019!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom