Lee 6 cavity mold, 45acp 1911

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    hello;

anyone casting bullets for the 45acp, 1911 pistol, using a lee 6 cavity mold? if so which design? happy with the mold or do you suggest a

different mold design. just starting to cast for the 45acp.

thanks for any input.

rp

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    The best Ogive is the Lyman 230 rn it is said to be USGI copy.
    I use a iron 2 cavity RCBS I like iron when I can get it. The Ogive is little larger so needs to be loaded shorter. I get lots of bullets with a 2 cavity iron.
    I have a single of the Lyman Custom Hollow Point made by Mihec. It is iron.
    Some Brass HP,s and some Aluminium ones.
    Lots of guys like the Lee for cast and tumble lube.
    I cast and lube with commercial lube and heater with a Lyman 4500.
    K have a collection of molds I had a problem as I could not help myself.
    One of my very best molds is a very old Ideal before Lyman name was used. It is a 358242 9mm 38 round more. Man I can get piles with it fast and is a,single cavity.
    I do polish some of my molds and restore them. I have some strange molds.full wad cutter 45acp for revolver. I got one made like it for 9mm 38spl in 75 grains.
    Only problem I see with Lee is guys need to polish the cavity or smoke them.
    Where are you located?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I have used the 6 cavity Trunucated cone mold for several years

That is a great profile it is the same as my RCBS One like it. It is the preferred bullet profile for 1911
    Lee are A Ok but got my RCBS Lyman new old stock or used cheap here and there do not want to talk them down

Last edited:

rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    thanks for input.

have two different iron molds but casting in this heat and only two bullets at a time = slow productivity. lymen 228 grain rn great bullet.

have 7 different lee 6 cavity molds very happy with them. it's the bullet design for the 45acp is what got me confused.

reading to many reviews on internet.

i'm going to buy a 6 cavity lee mold just don't know which one. need input on mold selection for the 1911.

have avoided the 45acp for 40+ years, not sure I like this can of worms. thx again for input.

rp

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    thanks for input.

have two different iron molds but casting in this heat and only two bullets at a time = slow productivity. lymen 228 grain rn great bullet.

have 7 different lee 6 cavity molds very happy with them. it's the bullet design for the 45acp is what got me confused.

reading to many reviews on internet.

i'm going to buy a 6 cavity lee mold just don't know which one. need input on mold selection for the 1911.

have avoided the 45acp for 40+ years, not sure I like this can of worms. thx again for input.

rp

I would use a round nose in an 45 auto,That may be what you have? Got pictures?

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    you never said how you lube them. I would go round nose
    If tumble the Lee.
    I may be picky but rather 2 or 4 great bullets vs 6 ok ones.
    Lots of guys like the Lee.

rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    thx for input.

use alox, Johnson liquid wax tumble mixture for lube (bll) works very well, does smoke a lot.

considering the lee #68 clone, a 200 grain rn (which one ?) or the 230 rn (which one?).

can tell you a lyman 228 grain cast, 5.1 grains of ww231, 10 shots at 7 yards will go into a one hole group, if I do my part. it is all about casting a lot of bullets in

a short amount of time with a bullet that provides good accuracy. have considered getting another lyman 228 grain rn mold and using both when casting.

side note, bought the 1911 because it fit my hand and it has a left hand safety. the 1911 is a big change from a heavy barrel s&w revolver in 38spl shooting min loads of bullseye.

like I said above, have avoided the 45acp/1911 for 40+ years, not sure I like this can of worms.

thx again.

rp

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    A 230 RCBS Copy as HP made by Mihec
    An Old 452389 Lyman Iron 45 Wad-Cutter I restored.
    Polishing molds make them drop very well. Lots of guys spin cast bullets in a mold and polish them with Lee Molds on Castboolits.
    Again some SWC will not work in some guns even some will not do HP's if you want 100% trouble free get a Round Nose.
    If crazy work I got the Full Wads to work in my 1911 but were for wheel gun.
    I use these rules on new molds
    http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,2.0.html

Attachments

• 45acpMihec.JPG
      45acpMihec.JPG
      20 KB · Views: 278
    • Cast45-4.jpg
      Cast45-4.jpg
      91.5 KB · Views: 141
    • Cast45-2.jpg
      Cast45-2.jpg
      115.5 KB · Views: 150
    Last edited:

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2010
    southwest
    452-200-SWC.
    Never had an issue with ANY 1911 feeding SWC bullets and they give the best accuracy.
    Follow Lee instructions to the letter. Aluminum molds must be HOT and they cool down real fast, so you may have to insert a corner in the melt to get it hot.

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    On the NOE and Mihec I have in aluminium I do a,few hot cold cycles before use.
    And never overheat them.
    He has the info on his site.
    I would do the same with all brands.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I have the Lee 6 Cavity TL .452 SWC mold. It casts well for me. I just did a run of 1K of these.

I powder coat mine.

I have no problems with these feeding in three different 1911's and they're very accurate out of my .45 cal Blackhawk revolver as well.

20190519_100047.jpg

Here they are fresh cast, and cooling under a fan.

20190519_111052.jpg

Here they are after powder coating.

I use a mixture of Harbor Freight White, and Harbor Freight Red to get that pink color.
    It's not really about the color. I find that the red goes on too heavy, and causes clumping, while the white goes on too thin. Combined, I get the coating I want.

It works for me.

Top Bottom