Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Generators

Marksman

User Info Menu

I thought about a whole house unit but economically it doesn’t make sense. My neighborhood has underground power. In the 20 years I have lived here we have had extended power outage, not 2-3 hours here and there, for maybe 10-15 days over the years. So if you divide 20,000 by 15 you get a daily cost of
    1,333.00 per day for power.

I bought a small 7500 generator and had a separate hookup wired into the house by an electrician and have less than 1500 invested. Only weakness is fuel during extended outage.
    No matter if you think you can or think you can't, you are probably right !!

Marksman

User Info Menu

During the rebuilding of my house and shop in 2009 (Thanks, Hurricane Ike) I decided to purchase a whole house genset. I picked up a 18K NG Generac with the automatic switch panel and installed it myself. My wife was initially against the purchase, but quickly came over to my side. We can leave home without worrying about coming home to a freezer full of ruined food, we can sleep without worrying about the power knocking out the AC! Here if you don't have AC you have a sauna and the mosquits keep you from opening a window here!

The whole purchase/installation was done for less then 3K, in 10 years it has only ran about 5 times due to power outages. I change oil yearly, unless it runs for more then a couple of hours and then it gets changed after a event. Had to change the start up battery once in 10 years. Looking back, it was the BEST purchase/decision I made during out rebuild (we got flooded). The repayment has been made through worry relief!

I ran a portable genset during the ice freeze in 1997 for a week. We were the only house in our neighborhood that had power for heat, freezers/fridges and lights. Had to swap out freezers during its use to keep all frozen w/o over taxing the genset. It required refilling with gasoline every 6 hours....around the clock. I was a tired bunny when the power came on but in better shape then most. Now the problems I faced in refueling, long time running a genset are addressed with the NG powered Generac.
    Peace of mind! My cost averaged out is less then $300. per year, now.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Got 3
    15 hp Briggs Tri fuel
    3500 Honda,Gasoline
    1175 Honda Gasoline
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

User Info Menu

Long term power outages are pretty rare here, so it's hard to justify whole-house generators based on how much they cost. But, when those outages do occur, it's not hard to understand how priceless they become.

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    Got 3
    15 hp Briggs Tri fuel
    3500 Honda,Gasoline
    1175 Honda Gasoline
    I have less than that. I have a,4000watt 1993 Briggs cast iron 8hp.
    Everything here other than the A/C is,gas. So all the large stuff is gas. I ran the whole home with my 6.5 days with low fuel message when the power was out in what was it 2008 or 9? The Hurracane damaged the lines from spilwayi to Kenner Jefferson. 1st 3 days,balls to wall 24 7 then off at night. But had all lights ceiling fans. TV as have free air and was only one who had TV. So Lights fans TV fridge freezer could take hot showers cook surf the net everything. Cooked for the hood had everyone's phones charging even had guest staying in the spare room who had a cold mini fridge and foot ball on their TV.
    With my small square footage I could do it all with 8-10 whole home. But have not.
    I would just get a better gas one. Do solar with battery back up instead and get more bang for my buck.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 340six View Post
    I have less than that. I have a,4000watt 1993 Briggs cast iron 8hp.
    Everything here other than the A/C is,gas. So all the large stuff is gas. I ran the whole home with my 6.5 days with low fuel message when the power was out in what was it 2008 or 9? The Hurracane damaged the lines from spilwayi to Kenner Jefferson. 1st 3 days,balls to wall 24 7 then off at night. But had all lights ceiling fans. TV as have free air and was only one who had TV. So Lights fans TV fridge freezer could take hot showers cook surf the net everything. Cooked for the hood had everyone's phones charging even had guest staying in the spare room who had a cold mini fridge and foot ball on their TV.
    With my small square footage I could do it all with 8-10 whole home. But have not.
    I would just get a better gas one. Do solar with battery back up instead and get more bang for my buck.
    Ran the 15 Brigg for 3 day's after Katrina,Humping gasoline to feed it, Had plenty of neighbors wanting to come suck-up my BTU's.
    Told the women and children to come inside,Told the men to go hustle up some gas if they wanted to cool off....After that
    cluster I converted it to triple-fuel,Ran 13 hr.s on nat-gas for the 2008? storm.

After that had to bring it down to Terrebonne parish to power up the in-laws.....Who finally got off their azz and got their own set-up.

Picked up the small Honda for powering up a party barge IF I get a spot on Toledo

Picked up the EM-3500X Honda for the camp.

Love me some Honda Generators!!!
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Marksman

User Info Menu

The advantage of a portable generator is, get ready, it's portable, if I need to power where there isn't any I can take it with me.
    Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool
    Everyone is brave until the roach flies

Marksman

User Info Menu

I just purchased a 16Kw Generac natural gas system w. auto transfer switch from Mr. Sparkey. Installation was smooth and professional w. no delays. Total price, $10,200.00. Generac now offers an optional wifi monitoring service for their generators, but I have not seen a need for it.

On Target

User Info Menu

I have a 5500 watt Briggs and Stratton portable generator and I run two refrigerators and a window AC unit on it without any problems. My power goes out so rarely that I could never justify the cost of a whole house generator. In the 2016 flood, we lost power for about 9 hours. The generator will run for nearly 12 hours on a full tank of gas. If a hurricane is in the forecast, I have several 5 gallon gas cans that I fill up as soon as the forecast shows it coming our way. If I do not need the gas for the generator, it gets used in the cars. I have never had to use it for about more than maybe two days which was Gustav. I run it once a year to keep it in working order, but it is literally only really used once every 5 or 6 years. We just rarely lose power.
    Last edited by Markmmg; July 3rd, 2019 at 10:49 AM.

On Target

User Info Menu

So how did everyone's generators work for the storm? Been thinking about a Generac 22kw or Kohler 20kw.