Join BayouShooter For Free
Brass

Page 1 of 7 12 ... LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Out of state tractor purchase.

Anyone purchased their tractor out of state to avoid sales tax? I'm not a real farmer so farm equipment exemption won't apply unless I become a farmer. It will be financed. I understand you are supposed to pay it on your income taxes but just wondering if most don't worry about it.

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

If it has a tittle like a car or a bike ATV etc. you will be required to pay it at whatever the bill of sale says.

Wealthy women wanted

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Iíve known people to buy ATVís out of state. They had to pay the taxes back here quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sandman7925 View Post
    I’ve known people to buy ATV’s out of state. They had to pay the taxes back here quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yepper as soon as you go to the DMV

Marksman

User Info Menu

Years ago I bought a 4wheeler out of state to avoid sales tax. About two years later, I got a bill for the sales tax, penalty, and interest. The state went audit the books of the dealer and sent a bill to all who bought from them and didn't pay their taxes. I bought a boat out of state two years ago. Had to go to the school board to pay local taxes and the department of revenue to pay state taxes.

Banned

User Info Menu

I have bought a few things online, from out of state recently and some of the vendors are collecting LA state taxes on the items. From what I gather, some things are unavoidable like death and taxes. Best the OP just pay up front to avoid any issues.

Marksman

User Info Menu

If you pay cash (non financing) you could probably get away with it. Usually sales tax agencies don’t collaborate between states. Now there are Auditing firms who work on commission and have been known to preform simultaneous audits for multiple jurisdictions. They often use information collected to basically sale their services again and again. The last time I was audited by one of these firms I made them work with hard copies only. To prevent or make it harder for them to data-mine my customers and vendors. The guy that got caught probably got caught because the dealer was a moron and was putting it out there intentionally advertising across state lines with the ploy of cheating the tax man. Regardless as a businessman who spends hours involved in all things tax related my advice is if you plan to color outside the lines make sure it won’t break you if you get pinched. Sometimes following the letter of the law tax wise isn’t economically feasible.
    Last edited by Bangswitch; June 26th, 2019 at 02:05 PM.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    Sometimes following the letter of the law tax wise isn’t economically feasible.
    And sometimes, most times it is NOT more economically feasble if some one gets caught cheating a government out of taxes that are owed and not paid. Why would someone open themselves up to penalities, interest on taxes that have not been paid but should have been paid from jump street? I dont like paying taxes either but then again, I am not a thief. Just saying!
    Last edited by astronut; June 26th, 2019 at 02:05 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by astronut View Post
    And sometimes, most times it is NOT more economically feasble if some one gets caught cheating a government out of taxes that are owed and not paid. Why would someone open themselves up to penalities, interest on taxes that have not been paid but should have been paid from jump street? I dont like paying taxes either but then again, I am not a thief. Just saying!
    My company is a construction company sometimes we are asked to do a quick job in a state we aren’t registered in. It’s not economical to get setup in a state and begin filing returns (most states now require monthly filings for the first year you have a tax account with them) in a state we may never work in again. In most states our services aren’t taxable anyways, so all I’m left to potentially remit is use tax a vendor didn’t charge me. I’m not gonna set up a state to pay them a couple hundred bucks so I include it in my home state use tax and roll the dice. Not everyone is blessed with an endless pocketbook to make every transaction perfectly legit in every way. At a previous company we dropped shipped a part to a town in north AL. Because we had nexus in AL I collected and remitted a messily 1.10 to the county and .11 to the local but then the local wanted us to file an occupational license on revenue we weren’t even present in their jurisdiction to earn. They want $150 minimum Occupational license. We drop shipped a $100 part to them. UPS delivered it I never had an employee step foot in their town. What would you do?
    Last edited by Bangswitch; June 26th, 2019 at 02:24 PM.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    What would you do?
    I would not do the crime if I could not do the time. The price of doing business. One of the reasons I never went into business myself.