Out of state tractor purchase.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • astronut

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    anywhere at a moments notice
    I beg to differ sir please reread your first quote to me.

Again I’m not trying to be an ass sometimes it’s reflex. I gave you two situations that I have dealt with. If you knew how most states and jurisdictions handle occupational licenses (that’s not a dig I assume you have no need to read the tax law on this in dozens of places like I have to do) you would know the second situation was beyond the pale and was a small town government agency attempting to fleece anyone and everyone willing to play by their rules. The first situation is a common practice used by thousands of companies across the country. Neither are cheating. It’s not economically feasible to play strictly by each and every entity’s rules.

I did not say that you or your company are a thief, I stated that I am not a thief! By the way, it was not Westley Snipes but Robert Blake from the tv show of Baretta that made the statement of "dont do the crime if you can not do the time"! ;)

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    With all due respect, apparently you dont know of an aunt of mine that spent 90 days in the parish lockup for not paying her parish taxes. Apparently she got way too many nice letters and she still refused to pay up on the taxes. She is deceased now but she sure spent those 90 days there. My Mom would go to visit her on visitation days and bring her needed things that the parish did not provide to her.

I could tell you stories from my public accounting days. I dealt with people who owe for payroll taxes from many years gone by, and they would do just enough to keep the IRS out of their bank accounts. Honestly I would have loved to have done something unethical to help the IRS collect, but I like to eat. I have no idea about you deceased aunts case and I won’t make any assumptions but I will say that is highly irregular.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I did not say that you or your company are a thief, I stated that I am not a thief! By the way, it was not Westley Snipes but Robert Blake from the tv show of Baretta that made the statement of "dont do the crime if you can not do the time"! ;)
    Wesley Snipes did time on tax evasion. I hadn’t even considered the quote, but you have a better memory than I do because I knew it but it’s been repeated so much I’m clueless.

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Wesley Snipes did time on tax evasion. I hadn’t even considered the quote, but you have a better memory than I do because I knew it but it’s been repeated so much I’m clueless.

He was also charged with carrying a firearm on a Motorbike no permit he had a bad run of luck back then.
    I knew that was what ya meant.
    Robert Blake was from the show when he was a cop. It is what he said when he busted them crooks. Later they thought he shot his X Wife in 2001? but like OJ paid in civil court later

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    He was also charged with carrying a firearm on a Motorbike no permit he had a bad run of luck back then.
    I knew that was what ya meant.
    Robert Blake was from the show when he was a cop. It is what he said when he busted them crooks. Later they thought he shot his X Wife in 2001? but like OJ paid in civil court later

Seems to me it’s bad for a women’s health to marry a famous person.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I may be wrong but, in my opinion, both OJ and Robert Blake were both guilty of the crimes they were charged with.

As well as Wesley Snipes a normal person would have had to pay for whatever Johnny on The Spot. Just like the Tax Owed that the OP asked about.

Last edited:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Anyone purchased their tractor out of state to avoid sales tax? I'm not a real farmer so farm equipment exemption won't apply unless I become a farmer. It will be financed. I understand you are supposed to pay it on your income taxes but just wondering if most don't worry about it.

Bruh, Call Oakdale Motors in Oakdale La.....No-one can beat their prices in the state on Kubota tractors....Pay the tax...and every cash job you do...Well I know nothing!

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Bruh, Call Oakdale Motors in Oakdale La.....No-one can beat their prices in the state on Kubota tractors....Pay the tax...and every cash job you do...Well I know nothing!

Funny you mention that. A common trend for people with fairly high W2 income, is they buy a tractor, or lawnmower, cattle, etc., start a ‘side business’ and some how manage to loose money every year.:dunno:

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Thanks for the tips guys, I guess if I buy out of state I should be prepared to "get caught" or buy in state and just become a farmer... or just pay the taxes... so sounds like no real closure . At least I learned about Wesley Snipes and ruffled some feathers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Thanks for the tips guys, I guess if I buy out of state I should be prepared to "get caught" or buy in state and just become a farmer... or just pay the taxes... so sounds like no real closure . At least I learned about Wesley Snipes and ruffled some feathers.

With cars, trucks, motorbikes, boats and equipment it is common to buy out of state and to little here. My brother and others I know do it. Not like getting fault just what ya do to have the papers right.
    It is a normal thing.

TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Well my understanding is there is no title or registration on farm equipment so you would have no reason to pay taxes unless you make it a point to when you file your income tax.

astronut

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Food, fuel, firearms, ammunition, fishing supplies, clothes, lumber, lawn mowers, milk, bathroom tissue, repair items/parts, etc, etc, dont have titles or registration requirements but taxes are charged on them each and every time they are purchased in state. And a bunch of vendors out of state are now starting to collect taxes on the items that they sell to keep them in the clear legally. Dont get me wrong, I dislike paying taxes just as much if not more than anyone else but I am not going to put myself in a positon to have to have to pay penalties along with the taxes, or hire a lawyer to defend myself against tax evasion charges when I could have just paid the taxes from jump street and be done with it. The ball is in your court, make your own decision, and take your chances. I worked at an auto parts store many years ago. Had one guy that always came in to buy parts and claimed he had a business and was tax exempt and that we should not charge him taxes on what he bought. We always told him that when he brought in proof of his tax exemption status we would honor it. He never did, so he paid for taxes on what he bought or we did not sell to him.

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Food, fuel, firearms, ammunition, fishing supplies, clothes, lumber, lawn mowers, milk, bathroom tissue, repair items/parts, etc, etc, dont have titles or registration requirements but taxes are charged on them each and every time they are purchased in state. And a bunch of vendors out of state are now starting to collect taxes on the items that they sell to keep them in the clear legally. Dont get me wrong, I dislike paying taxes just as much if not more than anyone else but I am not going to put myself in a positon to have to have to pay penalties along with the taxes, or hire a lawyer to defend myself against tax evasion charges when I could have just paid the taxes from jump street and be done with it. The ball is in your court, make your own decision, and take your chances. I worked at an auto parts store many years ago. Had one guy that always came in to buy parts and claimed he had a business and was tax exempt and that we should not charge him taxes on what he bought. We always told him that when he brought in proof of his tax exemption status we would honor it. He never did, so he paid for taxes on what he bought or we did not sell to him.

What you are describing is taking place because of a term known as Nexus. Without grabbing a dictionary, it means weather or not you have a physical presence (you are conducting business) inside a particular jurisdiction. If you drop-ship an order into a state you never entered or housed inventory, you have no Nexus. Everyone got frustrated when Amazon started charging sales tax, but because they have inventory hubs and strategic facilities scattered throughout most states they have Nexus in those states. SCOTUS has ruled that the vendor has no responsibility for sales tax on interstate sales when they have no Nexus in the receiving State. Now to the best of my knowledge that doesn’t let the customer off the hook for the sales tax. Which is why I think so many states instituted a self report on tax day.

Update: I was unaware there was a ruling last year on this. SCOTUS overturned that ruling. However that doesn’t mean that each state can automatically force foreign (non domestic to that state) businesses to collect tax on interstate sales, it just means that they have the option to structure their laws in a way that would force foreign businesses to collect.

Last edited:

astronut

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    What you are describing is taking place because of a term known as Nexus. Without grabbing a dictionary, it means weather or not you have a physical presence (you are conducting business) inside a particular jurisdiction. If you drop-ship an order into a state you never entered or housed inventory, you have no Nexus. Everyone got frustrated when Amazon started charging sales tax, but because they have inventory hubs and strategic facilities scattered throughout most states they have Nexus in those states. SCOTUS has ruled that the vendor has no responsibility for sales tax on interstate sales when they have no Nexus in the receiving State. Now to the best of my knowledge that doesn’t let the customer off the hook for the sales tax. Which is why I think so many states instituted a self report on tax day.

Update: I was unaware there was a ruling last year on this. SCOTUS overturned that ruling. However that doesn’t mean that each state can automatically force foreign (non domestic to that state) businesses to collect tax on interstate sales, it just means that they have the option to structure their laws in a way that would force foreign businesses to collect.

Since you are not an attorney, judge, or prosecutor, I am just going to let you fall on your own sword! ;)

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Since you are not an attorney, judge, or prosecutor, I am just going to let you fall on your own sword! ;)

Care to elaborate about me falling on my sword? This has almost no effect on my business model. I’m just a tax geek by profession and was offering free of charge a little more detailed analysis as to why things are handled the way they are. If you reread my post all the 2018 ruling did was remove the protection established by the 1992 ruling which prevented a state from forcing its Will on a vendor who for all intents and purposes doesn’t do business in that state. There are still states out there that use Nexus to determine if a business should be remitting sales and use (among other taxes) to the state and its individual jurisdictions. Take a look a Justice Roberts remarks on the case. The original decision was made to allow for congress to overhaul our countries tax laws, which has never happened. It’s sorely needed however I wouldn’t trust the malcontents in Washington to fix the problem they will just make it infinitely worse.

Last edited:

astronut

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    I am just saying that you apparently have never been in a court of law in the real world when it comes to taxes or other charges and actually wittnessed what takes place in judgements from the courts. Spent over 5 1/2 years myself in civil court and criminal court hearings as an leo. Regardlesss of Scotus or other rulings, things do not always go as what scotus says what they or how they should go. Most citizens do not have the funds to challenge the verdict/rulings handed down by the court even though the ruling may not be correct. Its not a perfect world but it is what we have to deal with.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I am just saying that you apparently have never been in a court of law in the real world when it comes to taxes or other charges and actually wittnessed what takes place in judgements from the courts. Spent over 5 1/2 years myself in civil court and criminal court hearings as an leo. Regardlesss of Scotus or other rulings, things do not always go as what scotus says what they or how they should go. Most citizens do not have the funds to challenge the verdict/rulings handed down by the court even though the ruling may not be correct. Its not a perfect world but it is what we have to deal with.

Feel free to not comment on my post. Just because I’m commenting on yours does mean I’m pursuing dialogue directly with you. I’m providing detailed information about how tax law actually works and you want to whip out the tape measure and see who has the long pecker.

Now I have sat Eyeball to Eyeball with all types of Auditors, in multiple capacities. While in public accounting I addressed 5-6 notices a month from varying agencies all over the great country. Not one of them resulted in taxes due based on poor advice from me. Since going into private industry I have been involved in on average 5 audits per year. The only times we ever paid were errors made by a data entry clerk.

Thats my tape measure. So when I tell you I have a dang firm grasp on tax law you cantake it to the bank.

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA

argumentum ad verecundiam

You spent some time in civil court as an LEO? LEO's enforce criminal laws. When an LEO finds themselves in civil court as an LEO, a lot of the time it's on the receiving end of a lawsuit.

Top Bottom