Out of state tractor purchase.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBigRServices

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Loranger, La
    Anyone purchased their tractor out of state to avoid sales tax? I'm not a real farmer so farm equipment exemption won't apply unless I become a farmer. It will be financed. I understand you are supposed to pay it on your income taxes but just wondering if most don't worry about it.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    If it has a tittle like a car or a bike ATV etc. you will be required to pay it at whatever the bill of sale says.

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    I’ve known people to buy ATV’s out of state. They had to pay the taxes back here quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Years ago I bought a 4wheeler out of state to avoid sales tax. About two years later, I got a bill for the sales tax, penalty, and interest. The state went audit the books of the dealer and sent a bill to all who bought from them and didn't pay their taxes. I bought a boat out of state two years ago. Had to go to the school board to pay local taxes and the department of revenue to pay state taxes.

astronut

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    anywhere at a moments notice
    I have bought a few things online, from out of state recently and some of the vendors are collecting LA state taxes on the items. From what I gather, some things are unavoidable like death and taxes. Best the OP just pay up front to avoid any issues.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    If you pay cash (non financing) you could probably get away with it. Usually sales tax agencies don’t collaborate between states. Now there are Auditing firms who work on commission and have been known to preform simultaneous audits for multiple jurisdictions. They often use information collected to basically sale their services again and again. The last time I was audited by one of these firms I made them work with hard copies only. To prevent or make it harder for them to data-mine my customers and vendors. The guy that got caught probably got caught because the dealer was a moron and was putting it out there intentionally advertising across state lines with the ploy of cheating the tax man. Regardless as a businessman who spends hours involved in all things tax related my advice is if you plan to color outside the lines make sure it won’t break you if you get pinched. Sometimes following the letter of the law tax wise isn’t economically feasible.

Last edited:

astronut

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Sometimes following the letter of the law tax wise isn’t economically feasible.
    And sometimes, most times it is NOT more economically feasble if some one gets caught cheating a government out of taxes that are owed and not paid. Why would someone open themselves up to penalities, interest on taxes that have not been paid but should have been paid from jump street? I dont like paying taxes either but then again, I am not a thief. Just saying! ;)

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    And sometimes, most times it is NOT more economically feasble if some one gets caught cheating a government out of taxes that are owed and not paid. Why would someone open themselves up to penalities, interest on taxes that have not been paid but should have been paid from jump street? I dont like paying taxes either but then again, I am not a thief. Just saying! ;)

My company is a construction company sometimes we are asked to do a quick job in a state we aren’t registered in. It’s not economical to get setup in a state and begin filing returns (most states now require monthly filings for the first year you have a tax account with them) in a state we may never work in again. In most states our services aren’t taxable anyways, so all I’m left to potentially remit is use tax a vendor didn’t charge me. I’m not gonna set up a state to pay them a couple hundred bucks so I include it in my home state use tax and roll the dice. Not everyone is blessed with an endless pocketbook to make every transaction perfectly legit in every way. At a previous company we dropped shipped a part to a town in north AL. Because we had nexus in AL I collected and remitted a messily 1.10 to the county and .11 to the local but then the local wanted us to file an occupational license on revenue we weren’t even present in their jurisdiction to earn. They want $150 minimum Occupational license. We drop shipped a $100 part to them. UPS delivered it I never had an employee step foot in their town. What would you do?

Last edited:

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    If you pay cash (non financing) you could probably get away with it. Usually sales tax agencies don’t collaborate between states. Now there are Auditing firms who work on commission and have been known to preform simultaneous audits for multiple jurisdictions. They often use information collected to basically sale their services again and again. The last time I was audited by one of these firms I made them work with hard copies only. To prevent or make it harder for them to data-mine my customers and vendors. The guy that got caught probably got caught because the dealer was a moron and was putting it out there intentionally advertising across state lines with the ploy of cheating the tax man. Regardless as a businessman who spends hours involved in all things tax related my advice is if you plan to color outside the lines make sure it won’t break you if you get pinched. Sometimes following the letter of the law tax wise isn’t economically feasible.
    That would come into play if there is No Tittle and Does Not Need To Be Registered.
    Even still would it be worth the chance to have a Piece of Equipment that had a Vin come up later as stolen?
    Maybe I am just funny like that.
    But stolen items are recovered way down the line and taken back. Make sure 100% you have all your bases covered.
    You can not say you were fishing and found it and thought it was fair game as it was lost in a boating accident.
    See what I did there?

astronut

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    That would come into play if there is No Tittle and Does Not Need To Be Registered.
    Even still would it be worth the chance to have a Piece of Equipment that had a Vin come up later as stolen?
    But stolen items are recovered way down the line and taken back. Make sure 100% you have all your bases covered.
    You can not say you were fishing and found it and thought it was fair game as it was lost in a boating accident.
    See what I did there?
    ^^^^^^^This!
    If I am going to the slammer, it will be for more than unpaid taxes or tax evasion! Like I said, I dont like paying taxes either but, I am not going to open myself up to charges of unpaid taxes that may cost me more in the longrun or land my backside in the slammer for it!

Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I would not do the crime if I could not do the time. The price of doing business. One of the reasons I never went into business myself.

Good to know. I gave sound tax advice based squarely in over a decade of professional experience from being a grunt and a public accounting firm to serving as the CFO of $25M construction company.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not trying to be an ass, but it seems you are attempting to speak from a holier than thou position. I’m playing 3D chess and you’re commenting about why you never played chinese checkers.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    ^^^^^^^This!
    If I am going to the slammer, it will be for more than unpaid taxes or tax evasion! Like I said, I dont like paying taxes either but, I am not going to open myself up to charges of unpaid taxes that may cost me more in the longrun or land my backside in the slammer for it!
    That’s hilarious. You’re not Wesley snipes. I’ve never heard of a state, county, or any agency other that the feds try to charge someone with a crime and it’s usually followed by years of polite little letters begging you to act right.

astronut

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Good to know. I gave sound tax advice based squarely in over a decade of professional experience from being a grunt and a public accounting firm to serving as the CFO of $25M construction company.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not trying to be an ass, but it seems you are attempting to speak from a holier than thou position. I’m playing 3D chess and you’re commenting about why you never played chinese checkers.
    No Sir, no insult posted towards you what so ever. I am not holier than thou and will not ever claim to be. I just stated my opinion and feelings. That is what I would do. You and your company are free to deal with it however you and them choose to do. Seems like you are the one that is attacking me for my opinion and trying to belittle me?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    See what I did there?
    I don’t always get a title on my equipment but if I buy it new I pony up like the next guy. I was simply sharing my professional experience and making the point that sometimes the state(s) and local laws are constructed in a way that is cost prohibitive keep your nose clean all the time when it comes to sales, use, and privilege/occupational type taxes.

astronut

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    That’s hilarious. You’re not Wesley snipes. I’ve never heard of a state, county, or any agency other that the feds try to charge someone with a crime and it’s usually followed by years of polite little letters begging you to act right.

With all due respect, apparently you dont know of an aunt of mine that spent 90 days in the parish lockup for not paying her parish taxes. Apparently she got way too many nice letters and she still refused to pay up on the taxes. She is deceased now but she sure spent those 90 days there. My Mom would go to visit her on visitation days and bring her needed things that the parish did not provide to her.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    The OP here just asked a simple question. And it kinda went sideways. He now knows to look into what he needs to do to have it legal, what he does now is up to him.
    So since we went that way "With a just suppose" Looking at the worse it could be stolen and you lose it or get charges for having the stolen whatever.
    Or run over some kids Pinky Toe with it. Find out later since it was not ever really yours the insurance does not cover you!
    You end up on Judge Judy with her yelling at you that you did not do the right thing!

Attachments

• judge_judy_screaming_490.jpg
      judge_judy_screaming_490.jpg
      28.9 KB · Views: 120
    Last edited:

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    No Sir, no insult posted towards you what so ever. I am not holier than thou and will not ever claim to be. I just stated my opinion and feelings. That is what I would do. You and your company are free to deal with it however you and them choose to do. Seems like you are the one that is attacking me for my opinion and trying to belittle me?

I beg to differ sir please reread your first quote to me.

Again I’m not trying to be an ass sometimes it’s reflex. I gave you two situations that I have dealt with. If you knew how most states and jurisdictions handle occupational licenses (that’s not a dig I assume you have no need to read the tax law on this in dozens of places like I have to do) you would know the second situation was beyond the pale and was a small town government agency attempting to fleece anyone and everyone willing to play by their rules. The first situation is a common practice used by thousands of companies across the country. Neither are cheating. It’s not economically feasible to play strictly by each and every entity’s rules.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Or run over some kids Pinky Toe with it. Find out later since it was not ever really yours the insurance does not cover you!
    You end up on Judge Judy with her yelling at you that you did not do the right thing!

Ive made my career worrying about and mitigating exposure of all types. This sir has impressed me. :bowdown:

Top Bottom