Ever Curse the Designer of a Weapon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I never thought I would encounter a weapon that would drive me mad before even firing a shot... Who would have thought that something so neat could be such a PITA... Who would have thought that something so sleek looking (and cheap on clearance ;) ) would be so horrible on the inside (not talking women (or some men) here)....

I'm talking about the Remington R51, and the man that I am cursing is John Pederson... While I am sure that this (Gen 2) handgun will shoot great I am getting more and more pissed off when field stripping it.

I mean the takedown is a touch awkward with pulling the slide back and grabing the barrel just right and yanking. (that is the easy part). Then fishing the barrel out of the slide and that damn bushing... well that damn bushing went flying....

After some beer to celebrate and some CLP, I started to put it all back together... That proved to be more of a pain than thought...

Getting that damn bushing back in was easy... Getting the barrel in place not so much.... after much cussing and hate for Mr. Pederson the slide was back together...

I thought that joining the slide to the frame would be easy.... No that was far more taxing... That damn slide was catching and froze the slide in place... 10 minutes of wiggling, pulling and yanking and finally it was back together...

All I can say is that for as big of a PITA this is to clean it better damn well shoot good... Teardown is pissing me off thinking about it...

Now excuse me while I take out my frustrations by cleaning my Luger...

Oh here is the obligatory picture at least...
    KIMG0891.jpg

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I've never had any issues tearing down my Glocks. Just sayin'...
    My CZs, and 365 make me appreciate modern designs. But it was cheap and if reliable it's a small enough +p rated 9mm that I'm sure it will find its place probably be my loaner lol.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    All I have are Glocks and 1911's. Well, I do have an M&P22 Compact (can host) and an LCP but the LCP sits in the safe because it's too un-Glock like. But of all the handguns I've handled over the years, I can't remember one with as complicated a take down process as you described.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Only when operating the safety of my rem7600 with the trigger guard safety and it’s so cold that it requires two fingers to slowly and quietly disengage, so as not to spoke a deer but some how it still makes that audible ‘clunk’. Or when I attempt to quietly chamber a round on a frozen morning on my ar platform hunting rifle and it hangs on the feed ramp so I have to pull back and let it slam home anyways. I built that gun so it’s occasional self loathing.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    The 1st time with a,Ruger MK pistol takes the fun out of it.
    I know of guys who never took one down again just sprayed with cans to clean and oil and a,rod down the pipe

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    The 1st time with a,Ruger MK pistol takes the fun out of it.
    I know of guys who never took one down again just sprayed with cans to clean and oil and a,rod down the pipe
    I've had one of those apart and it's not bad at all...

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    Please keep us posted. Even though I have Glocks, some Rugers and Smith's, I have thought seriously about the Remington R51 because I have several, over 40 year old, 1100's that are just great. I think you have cured my desire for it, but I am curious how it shoots for you. I do hate to see where a fine old company like Remington is headed.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Please keep us posted. Even though I have Glocks, some Rugers and Smith's, I have thought seriously about the Remington R51 because I have several, over 40 year old, 1100's that are just great. I think you have cured my desire for it, but I am curious how it shoots for you. I do hate to see where a fine old company like Remington is headed.
    Your welcome to shoot it lol. Thinking about a range trip maybe this weekend.

cyclone1970

Oldie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Covington LA
    You are very kind, thanks for the invite, but I have a real problem. If I shoot a firearm, I usually want it a lot-- even if it might not the best, so I will have to be satisfied with your report.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    You are very kind, thanks for the invite, but I have a real problem. If I shoot a firearm, I usually want it a lot-- even if it might not the best, so I will have to be satisfied with your report.
    Just shot it at the local range and at 7 yards with wolf ammo it groups about as well as my p10c (shooter is the limiter lol) but it does have a bit of a bite to the web if my hand made it sting a bit... But in about 75 rounds it had two failure to go into battery

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Yep, whoever designed the 1911. Too heavy, rust, grip angle all wrong, only likes to eat premium ammo, and way overpriced. On top of that it has to be the ugliest gun ever made. :mamoru:

gwpercle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    The first three or four times I reassembled my Ruger MKII , before I learned the tricks , I had a few choice words for Bill Ruger . Never had a problem with the MKI Target but the MKII was another story...got it figgured out now .

The 1911 is delight...it's like a pretty woman , you have to treat them right .
    My AMT Hardballer , 1911 clone , doesn't rust...all stainless steel even the magazines !
    Gary

Last edited:

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    The first three or four times I reassembled my Ruger MKII , before I learned the tricks , I had a few choice words for Bill Ruger . Never had a problem with the MKI Target but the MKII was another story...got it figgured out now .

The 1911 is delight...it's like a pretty woman , you have to treat them right .
    My AMT Hardballer , 1911 clone , doesn't rust...all stainless steel even the magazines !
    Gary

My favorite to pull apart is my Luger... Just so many parts that all make sense where they go and what they do... It's a Marvel...Then there is my CZs... We don't speak of pulling apart the trigger mechanism on those...

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Only 2 failures in 75 rounds. You have a good example. I had fun taking my r51 apart. I doubt I will shoot it again but I will keep it as I really do like weird gun designs. It ticks a few boxes in that regard.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Only 2 failures in 75 rounds. You have a good example. I had fun taking my r51 apart. I doubt I will shoot it again but I will keep it as I really do like weird gun designs. It ticks a few boxes in that regard.

How bad was yours? Probably going to do another range trip this time to MCTA tommorow or Monday and take it out one more time.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I'll probably keep it for the neat factor or trade fodder.. Never know when someone has something that I want and will only trade... The R51 is no smaller (or larger) than my P365 but does have the fact that it is all metal going for it...

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    To be honest I cant remember if it was really bad but it was not 100 percent. Honestly, I bought it cause I doubted that I would ever bother to shell out the cash for an original 51.

It is cool and it is all metal. It has absolutely zero indication of trigger reset. Like nothing at all. Like the trigger linkage broke or something like that. And it can strangely hang up with the slide halfway back so a press check can end up in a full cycle, which is undesirable for obvious reasons.

Build quality seems very good. Design wise... well it's no glock that's for sure! It has a similar feel to the hk p7. Like it came from a time when double stack nines were not quite as accepted as they came to be. Its nostalgic in a newly made way, if that make sense. No chance in hell I would carry it over a g26 or a g43, or even the pps.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I took mine apart yesterday and it really was not that bad. Just have to make sure the locking piece is in the right place and you really have to put it together upside down (the gun, not you!)

I see you have it up for sale, I guess my example needs a friend?

HAHAHAHA

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom