Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Ever Curse the Designer of a Weapon?

I never thought I would encounter a weapon that would drive me mad before even firing a shot... Who would have thought that something so neat could be such a PITA... Who would have thought that something so sleek looking (and cheap on clearance ) would be so horrible on the inside (not talking women (or some men) here)....

I'm talking about the Remington R51, and the man that I am cursing is John Pederson... While I am sure that this (Gen 2) handgun will shoot great I am getting more and more pissed off when field stripping it.

I mean the takedown is a touch awkward with pulling the slide back and grabing the barrel just right and yanking. (that is the easy part). Then fishing the barrel out of the slide and that damn bushing... well that damn bushing went flying....

After some beer to celebrate and some CLP, I started to put it all back together... That proved to be more of a pain than thought...

Getting that damn bushing back in was easy... Getting the barrel in place not so much.... after much cussing and hate for Mr. Pederson the slide was back together...

I thought that joining the slide to the frame would be easy.... No that was far more taxing... That damn slide was catching and froze the slide in place... 10 minutes of wiggling, pulling and yanking and finally it was back together...

All I can say is that for as big of a PITA this is to clean it better damn well shoot good... Teardown is pissing me off thinking about it...

Now excuse me while I take out my frustrations by cleaning my Luger...

Oh here is the obligatory picture at least...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0891.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	236.8 KB 
ID:	87099
    Motorcycles and guns, how fun....

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

I've never had any issues tearing down my Glocks. Just sayin'...

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thperez1972 View Post
    I've never had any issues tearing down my Glocks. Just sayin'...
    My CZs, and 365 make me appreciate modern designs. But it was cheap and if reliable it's a small enough +p rated 9mm that I'm sure it will find its place probably be my loaner lol.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

All I have are Glocks and 1911's. Well, I do have an M&P22 Compact (can host) and an LCP but the LCP sits in the safe because it's too un-Glock like. But of all the handguns I've handled over the years, I can't remember one with as complicated a take down process as you described.

Banned

User Info Menu

I hope the disassembly and reassembly get easier as time goes by. Let us know how it shoots when you get a chance.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Only when operating the safety of my rem7600 with the trigger guard safety and it’s so cold that it requires two fingers to slowly and quietly disengage, so as not to spoke a deer but some how it still makes that audible ‘clunk’. Or when I attempt to quietly chamber a round on a frozen morning on my ar platform hunting rifle and it hangs on the feed ramp so I have to pull back and let it slam home anyways. I built that gun so it’s occasional self loathing.

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

The 1st time with a,Ruger MK pistol takes the fun out of it.
    I know of guys who never took one down again just sprayed with cans to clean and oil and a,rod down the pipe

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 340six View Post
    The 1st time with a,Ruger MK pistol takes the fun out of it.
    I know of guys who never took one down again just sprayed with cans to clean and oil and a,rod down the pipe
    I've had one of those apart and it's not bad at all...

Oldie

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Please keep us posted. Even though I have Glocks, some Rugers and Smith's, I have thought seriously about the Remington R51 because I have several, over 40 year old, 1100's that are just great. I think you have cured my desire for it, but I am curious how it shoots for you. I do hate to see where a fine old company like Remington is headed.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." T. Roosevelt

The Boy Scouts told me to "Be Prepared" and I swore an oath "On My Honor..."
    I also swore an oath for the Army to "Support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies..." .
    Neither one told me when to stop.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone1970 View Post
    Please keep us posted. Even though I have Glocks, some Rugers and Smith's, I have thought seriously about the Remington R51 because I have several, over 40 year old, 1100's that are just great. I think you have cured my desire for it, but I am curious how it shoots for you. I do hate to see where a fine old company like Remington is headed.
    Your welcome to shoot it lol. Thinking about a range trip maybe this weekend.