NFA news: Bill introduced to give CLEO uninhibited veto power over NFA applications

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    More of the same...

View the bill here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/3404/text

WASHINGTON, DC – Last week, Rep. Jennifer Wexton (VA-10) introduced H.R. 3404, the Empowering Law Enforcement for Safer Firearm Transfers Act. Her bill would give Chief Law Enforcement Officers (CLEO) 90 days to assert uninhibited veto power over NFA applications. The American Suppressor Association is opposed to this unconstitutional attempt to create a local veto provision in the NFA process.

As drafted, local law enforcement would have absolute discretion to deny any applicant the right to acquire NFA items. The bill, which has intentionally vague standards, would unlawfully extend judicial powers to local law enforcement, allowing them to summarily deny the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens who have committed no crime.

IN THE EVENT OF DENIALS, THERE WOULD BE NO JUDICIAL REVIEW, NO DUE PROCESS, AND NO METHOD FOR APPEAL.

Prior to the enactment of ATF 41F in July 2016, individual applicants were required to obtain a CLEO signature before submitting their Form 4. In many jurisdictions this amounted to a de facto ban on NFA ownership, as CLEOs could refuse to sign the application for any reason. Recognizing the overstep, the Obama administration eliminated the CLEO signoff requirement through regulatory reform by enacting ATF 41F.

Rep. Wexton’s bill is an unconstitutional step in the wrong direction that would do nothing to prevent violent crime. Under current law, requirements for comprehensive background checks are already in place. Every applicant on every NFA application must pass a check by the FBI National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) before they are able to take possession of the NFA item.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    What could possibly go wrong with this.

Can we give our Parish clerks unlimited veto power over voter registrations? It's for the kids, after all.

Mike

Well it takes a Village or is that village idiot........

RaleighReloader

Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jan 30, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yet another Trump administration mistake on gun rights.

When did he ever care about gun rights?

The only thing that gun owners will get out of Trump that's even remotely beneficial to us are pro-2A appointments to federal courts and SCOTUS. But make no mistake that he'd cave in on us in a heartbeat.

Mike

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    844090c08242a8897c38003335dc7891.jpg

So the Obama administration took care of us on that, and now another democrat is trying to change that?

Seriously, the Democrats need to get on the same page with this. Either they want it or not. I agree with the Obama administration on their decision regarding this issue.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    844090c08242a8897c38003335dc7891.jpg

So the Obama administration took care of us on that, and now another democrat is trying to change that?

Seriously, the Democrats need to get on the same page with this. Either they want it or not. I agree with the Obama administration on their decision regarding this issue.

I thought that was the case but was to lazy to look it up. Before long the NRA will have to retroactively endorse the 44th Presidency.

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I thought that was the case but was to lazy to look it up. Before long the NRA will have to retroactively endorse the 44th Presidency.

Yeah, I encourage everyone to boycott the nra until they get their stuff together. They won’t get a penny from me with all of their scams (membership, pay-to-play instructor certificates, instructor insurance, etc). All of the lifetime members need to complain as much as they can to get new leadership there.

44 did that and made some expansions to the LEO concealed carry thing to include additional people which is a good thing.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    NFA thread Continued

Yeah, I encourage everyone to boycott the nra until they get their stuff together. They won’t get a penny from me with all of their scams (membership, pay-to-play instructor certificates, instructor insurance, etc). All of the lifetime members need to complain as much as they can to get new leadership there.

44 did that and made some expansions to the LEO concealed carry thing to include additional people which is a good thing.

Well what was pretty telling for me when I got my last issue of American Hunter in the mail it had pictures of Trump (who is screwing the 2A) giving a speech in Indy at the convention. Now I don’t pay much attention to the NRA and the scandals and end fighting that takes place but here is a man who seems to be aligning himself left of Obama on 2A related policies and he’s invited to the party.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Barry J,

good point this is a Democrat bill I can’t fault Trump for that even if it fits my narrative. If it made it through Congress you can bet your sweet cheeks he would sign it though.

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    i'm not surprised about the last admin removing the CLEO signoff before submission. why? because they can't charge a fee for an application that you can't submit because your local guy won't sign off on sending it up.

and as down as everyone was on 44, i've said this before and i'll say it again: look into what that dude's admin was doing with SOCOM. he may have let the leftys run bananas with big army but our budget went thru the roof. so did DARPA's. we got a metric butt-load of new kickassery out of it. a lot of the oversight that was happening under 43 because the media just wanted to crucify him for everything - yeah, that didn't happen well, basically, at all anymore. at least not below the politically-appointed ranks.

seems like every admin this is the waltz they play: the GOP dances toward infringement, and the leftys sashay toward the letter of 2A (but only a bit). just enough to keep the sheep from growing teeth...

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    i'm not surprised about the last admin removing the CLEO signoff before submission. why? because they can't charge a fee for an application that you can't submit because your local guy won't sign off on sending it up.

and as down as everyone was on 44, i've said this before and i'll say it again: look into what that dude's admin was doing with SOCOM. he may have let the leftys run bananas with big army but our budget went thru the roof. so did DARPA's. we got a metric butt-load of new kickassery out of it. a lot of the oversight that was happening under 43 because the media just wanted to crucify him for everything - yeah, that didn't happen well, basically, at all anymore. at least not below the politically-appointed ranks.

seems like every admin this is the waltz they play: the GOP dances toward infringement, and the leftys sashay toward the letter of 2A (but only a bit). just enough to keep the sheep from growing teeth...

Weird paradox isn’t it?

Top Bottom