Refreshed An Old Bench Vise

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I have had this old bench vise in my shed for years. It was my wife's grandfather's vise. I don't know an age. I would guess anywhere from the 60s-90s. There are no markings on the vise other than the "6".

I decided I would take it out and clean it up some and give it somewhat of a restoration. Its not a full restoration. This was the first time I ever took one apart and messed with one like this. I decided to paint it to match some of my Redding reloading equipment and also some of my RCBS stuff so its a mixture of both......kinda in the middle of the two.

Anyways, here are a couple before and after. I wish I would have gotten better before photos but I did not think about it before starting the process.

I am planning to order some new side tighten down handles and some new Jaw Faces. I hate that I had to paint them black but they were so far gone that I could not get them shiny anymore.

Last edited:

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Nice refurb. I'm glad to see someone else who uses old wooden bar stools for other purposes. I have my grinder/polisher mounted on one for mobile use.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Nice refurb. I'm glad to see someone else who uses old wooden bar stools for other purposes. I have my grinder/polisher mounted on one for mobile use.

Well I just put it on there for the pic. I wouldn’t trust that particular one for actually using the vise.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Good work! I have several old vices, anvils, and other tools that belonged to both my grandfathers. Those thing will be passed down for generations.

Top Bottom