Refreshed An Old Bench Vise

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I have had this old bench vise in my shed for years. It was my wife's grandfather's vise. I don't know an age. I would guess anywhere from the 60s-90s. There are no markings on the vise other than the "6".

I decided I would take it out and clean it up some and give it somewhat of a restoration. Its not a full restoration. This was the first time I ever took one apart and messed with one like this. I decided to paint it to match some of my Redding reloading equipment and also some of my RCBS stuff so its a mixture of both......kinda in the middle of the two.

Anyways, here are a couple before and after. I wish I would have gotten better before photos but I did not think about it before starting the process.

I am planning to order some new side tighten down handles and some new Jaw Faces. I hate that I had to paint them black but they were so far gone that I could not get them shiny anymore.

Last edited:

DWT

Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Nice refurb. I'm glad to see someone else who uses old wooden bar stools for other purposes. I have my grinder/polisher mounted on one for mobile use.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Nice refurb. I'm glad to see someone else who uses old wooden bar stools for other purposes. I have my grinder/polisher mounted on one for mobile use.

Well I just put it on there for the pic. I wouldn’t trust that particular one for actually using the vise.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Good work! I have several old vices, anvils, and other tools that belonged to both my grandfathers. Those thing will be passed down for generations.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom