Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 345 ... LastLast
    ESSAYONS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Was at a shop with my brother in Dallas, a couple came in and asked if they had any AR lowers. They said yes, he said he would buy them ALL!!! Literally did 22 lowers under one guys name and another 20 or so on his wife's.

Next time my brother went to the shop, the gun shop guys told him that that couple had a visit from the ATF. They knocked on his door to check if they guy still had them. They wanted to make sure he wasn't trying to be a "manufacturer" and sell them off after completing builds.
    When a firearm is bought, the check is done and an approval code sent before the firearms are even listed on the form. That form is maintained in the store and, unless the store goes out of business, kept at the store. Is there a number of firearms bought at one time above which the purchase is to be reported to the feds? I didn't think there was. And if there wasn't what could have lead to the feds knowing about the number of firearms purchased?

oldbie

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thperez1972 View Post
    When a firearm is bought, the check is done and an approval code sent before the firearms are even listed on the form. That form is maintained in the store and, unless the store goes out of business, kept at the store. Is there a number of firearms bought at one time above which the purchase is to be reported to the feds? I didn't think there was. And if there wasn't what could have lead to the feds knowing about the number of firearms purchased?
    I'd bet an employee called it in....
    "Be water, my friend..."

Marksman

User Info Menu

Do you have contact info for the individual who contacted you? If so, retain counsel, if you can afford it, and have your attorney contact him/her. If you don't know who contacted you, have your attorney contact the ATF anyway. Put them on notice that you have counsel; have him invoke your 4th and 5th amendment rights.

If you don't or can't retain counsel, do not consent to a search and do not answer any questions.
    (As an aside, remember, it is a crime to lie to a federal agent. Even if you are innocent of any wrong doing and you tell the truth in response to a question, if you have answered a question, a case can possibly be made against you that you are lying. Even if you beat the rap, you won't beat the ride.)

They either have probable cause or they don't. (Probable cause is needed for a warrant.) Invoking or exercising a right does not create probable cause; otherwise, it wouldn't be a right. If you consent, they are going to come in and search. If you don't consent and they have probable cause, they will leave, get a warrant, come back and come in and search. So you are really no worse off (except you won't know when they are coming and they may be a bit more brusque since you stood on your rights.) If you deny consent, and they don't have PC, they will leave and not come back unless and until they do. In the U.S.A. a person has no legal obligation to prove he is not breaking the law; the burden is on the govt to prove someone has broken the law. Refusing to prove you didn't break the law is not a crime.

I am writing this assuming you do NOT have any tax stamped NFA items or a FFL of any type; if you do, you have already waived your 4th amendment rights and given consent to enter you premises. If so you are in a different position.

If you have done anything illegal, you are NOT going to talk yourself out of an arrest.

Good luck.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LACamper View Post
    I'd bet an employee called it in....
    Or a transfer was made to a prohibited person who got busted and then flipped on the transferor.

Marksman

User Info Menu

about 15 years ago my brother ran into a lot of money, long story short he bought every glock the made in pairs with consecutive serial numbers in 9,45... think there was 14 of them he bought at once... My buddy at jims told him they would contact him.. well about 3 days later the atf did contact him and ask if they could talk to him, he of course said sure, they came by the next day and didn't even ask to see them just asked what his intention's were with buying that many and if he still had them, He told me they were just making sure he wasn't buying and feeding the street market... He said 10mins and they was gone..

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bigchillin83 View Post
    about 15 years ago my brother ran into a lot of money, long story short he bought every glock the made in pairs with consecutive serial numbers in 9,45... think there was 14 of them he bought at once... My buddy at jims told him they would contact him.. well about 3 days later the atf did contact him and ask if they could talk to him, he of course said sure, they came by the next day and didn't even ask to see them just asked what his intention's were with buying that many and if he still had them, He told me they were just making sure he wasn't buying and feeding the street market... He said 10mins and they was gone..
    There was a gun writer who got a visit after some purchases. Iíd quote the article but my memory ainít what it should be. Same deal if memory serves me. I think there is a reporting requirement once youíve exceeded some many Ďfirearmsí at once. Similar to depositing more than 10k in a bank.
    Last edited by Bangswitch; July 4th, 2019 at 06:43 AM.

Marksman

Gold Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    There was a gun writer who got a visit after some purchases. I’d quote the article but my memory ain’t what it should be. Same deal if memory serves me. I think there is a reporting requirement once you’ve exceeded some many ‘firearms’ at once. Similar to depositing more than 10k in a bank.
    Not only the bank,Any legit business has to report you for the 10,000K cash if you put that much down and its not a check,Extra paperwork for them!
    "When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our's Today"

Voting is the responsibility of a citizen, even if voting may not necessarily be obligatory. To not vote seems to me to be an abrogation of one's responsibility as a citizen, regardless of one's politics.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Shops here send a form to the local PD when multiple purchases/transfers occur.
    Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't.

Tim

La. CHP Instructor #409

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bangswitch View Post
    I think there is a reporting requirement once you’ve exceeded some many ‘firearms’ at once. Similar to depositing more than 10k in a bank.
    Two firearms at once or two firearms in one week from your FFL. If the BATFE Agents come to talk to you they will know every Date, Time, Location of these transactions because they were reported on another form.

SSST

Premium Member

User Info Menu

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/must...d-or-otherwise

And there is one for certain rifles as well.