Call from ATF to check some of my guns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Its been 3 weeks and they never called back.
    I'll check with ATF later about wtf was that, but if that's scam, its weird he named several guns that I have, those are not easy to guess like Glock or generic ARs. I usually shop online thru local FFL, but those named were from one big physical retailer here in area. I wonder why would this retailer reported anything unless it was an investigation into something or it sells info to scammers.
    And again if I were scammer last things I would mess with are armed individuals and ATF.
    If all the guns mentioned came from the same retailer, I think I would have some questions for the owner/general manager/district manager, who ever it takes to explain why these guns purchased from this one dealer where mentioned by a person claiming to be with the ATF. Regardless what the ATF told me, I would be questioning the retailer.

If it’s a scam, it’s a bold one and I would start to be concerned about a robbery attempt.

Last edited:

escknx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2018
    Kenner LA
    Alright, its not a scam.
    I've met that guy at his office, showed him guns that he asked, he verified numbers and that's it. He does not look like an enemy of law abiding citizens.
    His version is that from time to time they check gun owners in order to verify that they're not selling for profit w/o FFL.
    They've received flag on me probably cause recently I've boughs several pistols at the same day. But all info they had on my weapons as of now were these requested guns that was purchased from big blue retailer several years ago.
    I assume that this retailer is go to place for ATF in case anything is reported.
    As far as I get in order to collect info on all of my guns they have to physically check these FFLs who made transfers. Its kind of PITA, and they probably like to go to big blue store, and that's likely what happened.
    Last 3 pistols were reported, they've made quick check w big friendly retailer, who do not hesitate to disclose info, and viola, several guns were purchased by this individual few years ago, lets check if hes not that unlicensed seller.
    Tbh, if I was an ATF agent, I'd do the same in order to increase my productivity and find guys ATF is looking for, easy way.
    So guys, shop online and stay vigilant.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Alright, its not a scam.
    I've met that guy at his office, showed him guns that he asked, he verified numbers and that's it. He does not look like an enemy of law abiding citizens.
    His version is that from time to time they check gun owners in order to verify that they're not selling for profit w/o FFL.
    They've received flag on me probably cause recently I've boughs several pistols at the same day. But all info they had on my weapons as of now were these requested guns that was purchased from big blue retailer several years ago.
    I assume that this retailer is go to place for ATF in case anything is reported.
    As far as I get in order to collect info on all of my guns they have to physically check these FFLs who made transfers. Its kind of PITA, and they probably like to go to big blue store, and that's likely what happened.
    Last 3 pistols were reported, they've made quick check w big friendly retailer, who do not hesitate to disclose info, and viola, several guns were purchased by this individual few years ago, lets check if hes not that unlicensed seller.
    Tbh, if I was an ATF agent, I'd do the same in order to increase my productivity and find guys ATF is looking for, easy way.
    So guys, shop online and stay vigilant.

So since the ATF is statutorily prohibited from building a data base they use this particular (assuming) nationwide chain to do their dirty work. I know your way was probably easier for you and probably put to bed any concerns they had about you selling but I’ve got an independent streak, and I find what you described the ATF is doing a careful dance around the law. It definitely violates the spirit of the law. I’m glad it worked out for you, and thanks for the update.

escknx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2018
    Kenner LA
    So since the ATF is statutorily prohibited from building a data base they use this particular (assuming) nationwide chain to do their dirty work. I know your way was probably easier for you and probably put to bed any concerns they had about you selling but I’ve got an independent streak, and I find what you described the ATF is doing a careful dance around the law. It definitely violates the spirit of the law. I’m glad it worked out for you, and thanks for the update.
    I'm not 100% sure that they're doing this way, this is all my assumption based on what and how it all happened. I didn't ask directly and even if I asked they probably wouldn't tell me, but in the past I worked with similar agency in one of the past Soviet Union countries, slightly different subject, but methods are familiar.

Last edited:

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Since the purchase was a few years ago and it is perfectly legal to sell firearms over time (not dealin just trading,selling, etc) did he say what would have happened if you sold them? We are talking years not guns bought a week ago and are now sold. I just feel if they want to investigate then do it within a reasonable time frame. I don’t hold on to many possessions for years. Out with the old, in with the new. One day they might show up looking for the case of scotch I bought 8 years ago to make sure I’m not selling it to minors.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Since the purchase was a few years ago and it is perfectly legal to sell firearms over time (not dealin just trading,selling, etc) did he say what would have happened if you sold them? We are talking years not guns bought a week ago and are now sold. I just feel if they want to investigate then do it within a reasonable time frame. I don’t hold on to many possessions for years. Out with the old, in with the new. One day they might show up looking for the case of bourbon I bought 8 hours ago to make sure I’m not selling it to minors.

Fixed it for you . :mamoru:

Ok ok fixed it for me.

Last edited:

escknx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2018
    Kenner LA
    Since the purchase was a few years ago and it is perfectly legal to sell firearms over time (not dealin just trading,selling, etc) did he say what would have happened if you sold them? We are talking years not guns bought a week ago and are now sold. I just feel if they want to investigate then do it within a reasonable time frame. I don’t hold on to many possessions for years. Out with the old, in with the new. One day they might show up looking for the case of scotch I bought 8 years ago to make sure I’m not selling it to minors.
    He didn't specify, but he knew I wasn't type of guy they looking for even before we met.It all looks like they're just fishing this way around, if I didn't have these guns but had sane explanation that would work as well. They do look pretty reasonable, despite the methods they use. In a few words my experience was pretty pleasant. He shares my concerns regarding years of suppressors blessing wait time. He does think this is ridiculous, pretty much most of them as I understood, but what could they do if even our president doesn't like them.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom