Call from ATF to check some of my guns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • escknx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2018
    Kenner LA
    Received call of the ATF guy asking whether he can come to check some of my guns, they need to check if I haven't sold them.
    He was mentioning several 22s that I've purchased several years ago. He said that he can come inside or we can meet somewhere so I can show it.
    Is this something new, that federal govt is messing with? or its standard procedure

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    Better yet, yea get all your guns and put them Behind the dumpster at a gas station for him to inspect them, he will call you to pick them up when he’s done ... seriously... did he ask for a money order also?

escknx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2018
    Kenner LA
    What's interesting, that these 22s he mentioned, I got from Academy years ago.
    Nothing I've transferred thru local FFL was mentioned

escknx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2018
    Kenner LA
    Been into several, but at the same time I have a few suppressors still in jail waiting for ATF blessing. Whether its real ATF I don't really feel good about confronting them at this point. My last suppressor I've been waiting 14 months for stamp to come, love these guys.
    Will see how he feels about meeting at the ATF office in Metairie to see beautiful pictures of my old 22s.
    Weird stuff tbh.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I had a recent run-in with them as well. Except they called and said they were in town and wanted to know where I was! Would prefer not to divulge details, but if your affairs are in order there is no reason NOT to help them. Lots of times it is them trying to get information to get a conviction on someone else that they know is a bad guy.

escknx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2018
    Kenner LA
    Tell him if he really needs to check them, you can bring them to his office.
    Yes that was my initial idea.
    He said he's aware of me being able to purchase as many guns as I want.
    But since I've purchased quite a few in last several years they want to verify whether I don't sell them for profit.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Received call of the ATF guy asking whether he can come to check some of my guns, they need to check if I haven't sold them.
    He was mentioning several 22s that I've purchased several years ago. He said that he can come inside or we can meet somewhere so I can show it.
    Is this something new, that federal govt is messing with? or its standard procedure

Bring 1/2 dozen friends...armed to the teeth,Sounds like a set-up if your being legit.....

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I had a recent run-in with them as well. Except they called and said they were in town and wanted to know where I was! Would prefer not to divulge details, but if your affairs are in order there is no reason NOT to help them. Lots of times it is them trying to get information to get a conviction on someone else that they know is a bad guy.

I would label this as bad advice. Or incomplete at best. My suggestion would be to help them with the assistance of a lawyer. He has the complete picture. You do not so you do not know how what you might say will affect the big picture. And the police lie if they need to in order to get information. That's perfectly legal. It's not the norm that the feds want to check out a gun because they are bored. If there's something more to it, they'd better provide more than "hey, we're in town and wanted to catch up...btw, bring your guns so we can see them."

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    But since I've purchased quite a few in last several years they want to verify whether I don't sell them for profit.

Go buy a newspaper and take a picture of the serial number with the date on the paper in the background.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Tell them to go fish in someone else’s pond. I think they have given you reason suspect their intentions aren’t for your benefit. If you feel compelled I would find a lawyer. You don’t have to have something to hide to get tangled up in an Alphabet soup sandwich.

Profiting from a sale or two doesn’t make you a gun dealer/runner/trafficker or whatever.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    I would label this as bad advice. Or incomplete at best. My suggestion would be to help them with the assistance of a lawyer. He has the complete picture. You do not so you do not know how what you might say will affect the big picture. And the police lie if they need to in order to get information. That's perfectly legal. It's not the norm that the feds want to check out a gun because they are bored. If there's something more to it, they'd better provide more than "hey, we're in town and wanted to catch up...btw, bring your guns so we can see them."
    Agreed.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

They may knock on your door and ask if they can look at your firearms and write down model/serial number of all your firearms during the interview.
    You can say yes or no but they "May" return if your answer is no. Talk to a Good Attorney if you have any legal questions.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

"They" have people monitoring Firearm Forums and people on the forums such as this one assisting them.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom