Newbie question - Passport vs. LA ID/DL?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doh31672

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2019
    New Orleans, LA
    Hi all -

New to the forums - coming from California. Trying to do research on what is needed to purchase a handgun. Will gun stores take a passport along with other proofs of address, or do they require Louisiana DL/ID Card? Is this generally the same when it comes to doing private party transactions (I understand that it may depend on the seller).

Also, if you want to buy a gun from a gunstore - CA has 10 day waiting periods and you can only get 1 handgun every 30 days if you buy from a gun store. I haven't seen anything that says LA has similar restrictions, but just want to make sure I understand if there are any similar laws here in LA.

Thanks

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Must have La. ID OR License as you must be a citizen of La. To buy here.
    Only other way for a non LA person to buy is have shipped to an out of state ffl.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Welcome to a place where your 2nd Amendment rights are not trampled on (as much). But please don't do what many other Californians have done when relocating... Doing the whole " In CA it was the law so there ought to be a law here too!". It ruined my native WA state... So sad to see that state having it's issues between the rising murder rate of LEOs and increased hostility towards firearms, and crazy taxes. I am calling this now in 20 years WA will have driven industry from the state and will be like CA is now... Bankrupt...

Also once you get your LA ID apply for a Concealed Handgun Permit as around NOLA it is better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it...

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Welcome to a place where your 2nd Amendment rights are not trampled on (as much). But please don't do what many other Californians have done when relocating... Doing the whole " In CA it was the law so there ought to be a law here too!". It ruined my native WA state... So sad to see that state having it's issues between the rising murder rate of LEOs and increased hostility towards firearms, and crazy taxes. I am calling this now in 20 years WA will have driven industry from the state and will be like CA is now... Bankrupt...

Also once you get your LA ID apply for a Concealed Handgun Permit as around NOLA it is better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it...

dead on...

Top Bottom