Join BayouShooter For Free
Pelican

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Firearm ownership

I have had a glock 22 stolen an recovered by Lafourche Parish sheriff Office an was told in order to get it back needed bill of sale. The glock was brought 25 years ago. I have weapons passed down from my great grandfather and father. Question is what can I do to keep them from keeping my guns?

Marksman

User Info Menu

Court order. Still have to have something proving it is yours. I keep a written inventory of all my guns, at least I did before I lost them in that boating accident.

Moving forward

User Info Menu

I had some stolen. Went through the whole process. They found one later and a detective Called me up and said he had my firearm and needed to meet with me. He brought it too me and I signed a paper saying I was taking it back.

This was several years ago with the EBRSO.

They should know a bill of sale is not required in the state of LA and the report you filed when it was stolen should be all you need.

Maybe contact the da for the area?

User Info Menu

This is something I worry about I have me great grandfathers rifle and an ole shot gun I bought when I was a kid. Neither are registered and I would rather not register them. I like that big brother don't know about them.

-Global Mod-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cajuncappy View Post
    This is something I worry about I have me great grandfathers rifle and an ole shot gun I bought when I was a kid. Neither are registered and I would rather not register them. I like that big brother don't know about them.
    New guns are not registered but can be traced back to the person who filled out a,4473
    So if you sell one get a bill of sale. For you and them. If stolen report it.
    Last edited by 340six; July 6th, 2019 at 04:56 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Written log of make/model/serials... I even keep pics of all mine on my phone. ... More than enough to prove they are mine.
    If you are so proud of where you're from that you fly your flag everywhere, please go back there. Your flag offends me! American lives Matter!

Support LEO........
    Provide Backup!

LEO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KDerekT83 View Post
    Written log of make/model/serials... I even keep pics of all mine on my phone. ... More than enough to prove they are mine.
    This is what I do as well. I have a written log, and I take photos with the serial number visible. Obviously, if I have a receipt or BOS, I keep that handy, but some just don't come to you that way, so photos should suffice, and be of help when filing a report, some cops just really don't know much about guns.

I go so far as to write down the serial numbers of any guns I travel with and tuck them away somewhere in case they are stolen while on vacation somewhere. I'd hate to be "that guy" who has to wait until he's returned home a week later to call back to complete a report and get something entered into NCIC.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Do you remember where you purchased it from? If they are still in business they give you the documentation. Good luck.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 340six View Post
    New guns are not registered but can be traced back to the person who filled out a,4473
    So if you sell one get a bill of sale. For you and them. If stolen report it.
    Defacto registration.

tacklebox

User Info Menu

I had a firearm that was in LE’s possession.
    I didn’t have a bill of sale, all I had do do to prove it was mine was tell them the serial number. I was not the original purchaser of the weapon.

I used to keep a detailed record of what I bought and sold. Lightning stuck the house and damaged the data on the computer and has been gone for years.

But having the original case that had the serial number on it may have saved me some hassle.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself.
    ... the very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good"

-George Washington