Firearm ownership

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lpso708

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    Thibodaux,LA
    I have had a glock 22 stolen an recovered by Lafourche Parish sheriff Office an was told in order to get it back needed bill of sale. The glock was brought 25 years ago. I have weapons passed down from my great grandfather and father. Question is what can I do to keep them from keeping my guns? :confused:

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Court order. Still have to have something proving it is yours. I keep a written inventory of all my guns, at least I did before I lost them in that boating accident.

Tboy

Moving forward
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Greenwell Springs
    I had some stolen. Went through the whole process. They found one later and a detective Called me up and said he had my firearm and needed to meet with me. He brought it too me and I signed a paper saying I was taking it back.

This was several years ago with the EBRSO.

They should know a bill of sale is not required in the state of LA and the report you filed when it was stolen should be all you need.

Maybe contact the da for the area?

Cajuncappy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2019
    St James Parish
    This is something I worry about I have me great grandfathers rifle and an ole shot gun I bought when I was a kid. Neither are registered and I would rather not register them. I like that big brother don't know about them.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    This is something I worry about I have me great grandfathers rifle and an ole shot gun I bought when I was a kid. Neither are registered and I would rather not register them. I like that big brother don't know about them.

New guns are not registered but can be traced back to the person who filled out a,4473
    So if you sell one get a bill of sale. For you and them. If stolen report it.

Last edited:

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    Written log of make/model/serials... I even keep pics of all mine on my phone. ... More than enough to prove they are mine.

This is what I do as well. I have a written log, and I take photos with the serial number visible. Obviously, if I have a receipt or BOS, I keep that handy, but some just don't come to you that way, so photos should suffice, and be of help when filing a report, some cops just really don't know much about guns.

I go so far as to write down the serial numbers of any guns I travel with and tuck them away somewhere in case they are stolen while on vacation somewhere. I'd hate to be "that guy" who has to wait until he's returned home a week later to call back to complete a report and get something entered into NCIC.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Do you remember where you purchased it from? If they are still in business they give you the documentation. Good luck.

xobelkcat

tacklebox
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Jul 6, 2007
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I had a firearm that was in LE’s possession.
    I didn’t have a bill of sale, all I had do do to prove it was mine was tell them the serial number. I was not the original purchaser of the weapon.

I used to keep a detailed record of what I bought and sold. Lightning stuck the house and damaged the data on the computer and has been gone for years.

But having the original case that had the serial number on it may have saved me some hassle.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    Defacto registration.

To recover them I had to supply JPSO with "who and when and where" they were bought. They dug into the places 4473 for weeks and found them. They do not toss 4473's Was told that places that are closed are scanned.
    JPSO and BATF worked on it. Both were top notch Fellon gets 16 months and Guns were in jail 18 plus.

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    I have some inherited older guns and some given to me when I was young also. I plan to prepare an affidavit from my parent that they gave the gun to me and it was theirs and the history of that. For the modern firearms I purchased, I keep a file at home with the bill of sale and take a pic of that when i travel with one.

hoggin357

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Iowa,La.
    One word,,you will need an attorney.That is the only way I was able to recover a
    couple of mine.The judge and the rest don't GAS.If you don't want or don't think
    the firearm was worth more than 1k,then don't bother.Its a process.Its sad that it
    is such an ordeal,but like I said ,they don't GAS about your stuff or you rights.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    One word,,you will need an attorney.That is the only way I was able to recover a
    couple of mine.The judge and the rest don't GAS.If you don't want or don't think
    the firearm was worth more than 1k,then don't bother.Its a process.Its sad that it
    is such an ordeal,but like I said ,they don't GAS about your stuff or you rights.

Exactly correcto....

pixfella58

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    Houma, LA
    I have an app on my iPad called "Gun Log" that I can input the make, model, serial number, pictures, where purchased and when, sale information, etc. of all the guns I've bought/sold. Great app.

CD

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    They should know a bill of sale is not required in the state of LA and the report you filed when it was stolen should be all you need.

Maybe contact the da for the area?
    This. If you had the serial number of the firearm filed with the report you just need your ID.

geoney

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Lake Charles
    I have an app on my iPad called "Gun Log" that I can input the make, model, serial number, pictures, where purchased and when, sale information, etc. of all the guns I've bought/sold. Great app.

CD

Yeah, there are plenty of good apps to keep track of shooting or collections.

Laid Back

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Livingston Parish
    Had a gun stolen. Called it in and filed a report. 13 months later I received a call asking if I was still missing the firearm. I said yes, and they said it had been recovered and I could swing by to pick it up. No bill of sale was asked for.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

CD

Thanks for info. I downloaded the same app on my phone. Getting everything saved in it, gave me a reason to pull em all out and take pictures... Lol

Top Bottom