Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast
    oldbie

Premium Member

User Info Menu

police helicopters

I was buzzed tonight in Metairie by a low flying Apache. I posted about it on FB and a friend of mine that works for one of the local news stations replied that he thinks its owned by JPSO....

I know that police department get surplus hmmwv's and M113's but an Apache? that seems a bit unnecessary. Why not an Abrams? you never know when you need to stop a high speed chase with extreme prejudice from 4 km away...
    "Be water, my friend..."

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LACamper View Post
    I was buzzed tonight in Metairie by a low flying Apache. I posted about it on FB and a friend of mine that works for one of the local news stations replied that he thinks its owned by JPSO....

I know that police department get surplus hmmwv's and M113's but an Apache? that seems a bit unnecessary. Why not an Abrams? you never know when you need to stop a high speed chase with extreme prejudice from 4 km away...
    Doubt it is JPSO saw some Marine Cobras on maneuvers over Chalmette earlier. Sure you didn't misidentify it? They have several stationed at belle chase. Every now and then they play joint maneuvers with the LA Guard's UH-60s. Or if an Apache they could be from Polk or Keesler.
    Motorcycles and guns, how fun....

oldbie

Premium Member

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sportsbud View Post
    Doubt it is JPSO saw some Marine Cobras on maneuvers over Chalmette earlier. Sure you didn't misidentify it? They have several stationed at belle chase. Every now and then they play joint maneuvers with the LA Guard's UH-60s. Or if an Apache they could be from Polk or Keesler.
    could have been a cobra. NOT a blackhawk or huey. It was getting past dusk so I only had a profile.
    "Be water, my friend..."

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LACamper View Post

Wow that’s one hell of a fire breathing dragon? Seriously? No way thats JPSO could afford one of those things. What good is a $30M gun-ship for any LEO agency?

On Target

User Info Menu

I highly doubt a parish could afford to operate any Sikorsky airframe. IIRC the per-hour cost for a Blackhawk (relatively inexpensive in the Sikorsky line) is nearly $2000 per hour. The Apache, Cobra, Chinook, and Sea Knight are all more expensive.

Civilian rotary wing pilots keep two logbooks: one for Sikorsky, and one for everything else. Buddy of mine (coastie) went from the Dauphin to the Pavehawk and said it was like getting out of a Chevy Cavalier and getting into a C7 Corvette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marksman

User Info Menu

police helicopters

Yesterday over my house outside of Franklinton.

Identification?

Last edited by snipehunter7; July 17th, 2019 at 09:51 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snipehunter7 View Post
    Yesterday over my house outside of Franklinton.

Identification?

That's my unit. Just the LA Guard out of Hammond.

CoonAss

User Info Menu

I’m gonna go with Blackhawks until someone better versed corrects me.
    Jason Ellis show on Faction Sirius/XM
    Red Dragons

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 3fifty7 View Post
    I’m gonna go with Blackhawks until someone better versed corrects me.
    You are right. They are more fun when they try and make the people in the back throw up, and put six flags to shame lol.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sportsbud View Post
    You are right. They are more fun when they try and make the people in the back throw up, and put six flags to shame lol.
    Now thatís a ride Iíd pay for!

Seemed like they were right on top of the house.