police helicopters

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I was buzzed tonight in Metairie by a low flying Apache. I posted about it on FB and a friend of mine that works for one of the local news stations replied that he thinks its owned by JPSO....

I know that police department get surplus hmmwv's and M113's but an Apache? that seems a bit unnecessary. Why not an Abrams? you never know when you need to stop a high speed chase with extreme prejudice from 4 km away...

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    I was buzzed tonight in Metairie by a low flying Apache. I posted about it on FB and a friend of mine that works for one of the local news stations replied that he thinks its owned by JPSO....

I know that police department get surplus hmmwv's and M113's but an Apache? that seems a bit unnecessary. Why not an Abrams? you never know when you need to stop a high speed chase with extreme prejudice from 4 km away...

Doubt it is JPSO saw some Marine Cobras on maneuvers over Chalmette earlier. Sure you didn't misidentify it? They have several stationed at belle chase. Every now and then they play joint maneuvers with the LA Guard's UH-60s. Or if an Apache they could be from Polk or Keesler.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Doubt it is JPSO saw some Marine Cobras on maneuvers over Chalmette earlier. Sure you didn't misidentify it? They have several stationed at belle chase. Every now and then they play joint maneuvers with the LA Guard's UH-60s. Or if an Apache they could be from Polk or Keesler.

could have been a cobra. NOT a blackhawk or huey. It was getting past dusk so I only had a profile.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Wow that’s one hell of a fire breathing dragon? Seriously? No way thats JPSO could afford one of those things. What good is a $30M gun-ship for any LEO agency?

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    I highly doubt a parish could afford to operate any Sikorsky airframe. IIRC the per-hour cost for a Blackhawk (relatively inexpensive in the Sikorsky line) is nearly $2000 per hour. The Apache, Cobra, Chinook, and Sea Knight are all more expensive.

Civilian rotary wing pilots keep two logbooks: one for Sikorsky, and one for everything else. Buddy of mine (coastie) went from the Dauphin to the Pavehawk and said it was like getting out of a Chevy Cavalier and getting into a C7 Corvette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snipehunter7

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 31, 2016
    Franklinton, LA
    Yesterday over my house outside of Franklinton.

Identification?

8163532a1506bce7334a5cdfe21ee6e2.jpg

Last edited:

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Now that’s a ride I’d pay for!

Seemed like they were right on top of the house.

Sure thing they accept payment in the form of 6 years of your life. I can get you in touch with just the person to accept the payment.

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    You are right. They are more fun when they try and make the people in the back throw up, and put six flags to shame lol.

First time I got in a Blackhawk, the 3-days-older-than-dirt chief warrant officer on the stick turned around, screamed “y’all hold yer breakfast and watch this s**t”, then proceeded to fly full-throttle map of the earth thru the Rockies at ~100 feet AGL.

Didn’t get another ride like that til I got to Afghanistan and caught a ride in a SOAR Chinook. Those guys are bat-s**t crazy; they even managed to make a few NSW and RRD guys turn green on that ride.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    First time I got in a Blackhawk, the 3-days-older-than-dirt chief warrant officer on the stick turned around, screamed “y’all hold yer breakfast and watch this s**t”, then proceeded to fly full-throttle map of the earth thru the Rockies at ~100 feet AGL.

Didn’t get another ride like that til I got to Afghanistan and caught a ride in a SOAR Chinook. Those guys are bat-s**t crazy; they even managed to make a few NSW and RRD guys turn green on that ride.

I just have to have the doors open. Spinning and negative G's with doors closed and the smell of JP-8 is not pleasent.

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Don’t see apaches around here often, but do see the marines’s cobras and Huey’s all the time flying over Slidell. Always shaking my house as they fly over :)

and sometimes blackhawks and Chinooks.

last time I seen an Apache was a few years ago two were flying low over the twinspan.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Apache and Cobra are the same frame, right? 2 seater gun ships with gunner in front, pilot in the rear seat?

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    The Apache is more angular in appearance than the Cobra.

As mentioned, the Cobra is basically a UH-1, adapted to be a tank killer. Something it's darned good at.

iu

Apache

iu

Cobra

Last time I saw an Apache was about six days after Katrina, above my backyard. It was about 0200hrs. They were illuminating my generator. They were maybe a few hundred feet above ground level, but it sounded like they were landing on my roof.
    Freaked my wife out. I knew what it was. Told her to stay inside, and that they could 'see' us in the house.

It happened again two nights later.

They just saw the heat signature and were checking it out. Probably one of the few heat signatures for miles around.

I'd never ride on a crash hawk willingly. Pulled six bodies out of a lake near Ft Sill, once upon a time. Jesus nut has a way of coming loose, was what I was told. Not sure of the veracity of that, but there were a string of crashes when they came out.
    I'll take a UH-1 any day. Strong, robust bird.

As mentioned above, the Chithook is it's own thing. Those guys should all be locked up in a loony bin. Give'em all nice jackets with extra long sleeves.

No matter. My days of riding in a rotary wing aircraft are long past.

I don't even like fixed wings anymore.

I'll keep my feet planted firmly on terra firma. ThankYouVeryMuch.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    The Apache is more angular in appearance than the Cobra.

As mentioned, the Cobra is basically a UH-1, adapted to be a tank killer. Something it's darned good at.

iu

Apache

iu

Cobra

Last time I saw an Apache was about six days after Katrina, above my backyard. It was about 0200hrs. They were illuminating my generator. They were maybe a few hundred feet above ground level, but it sounded like they were landing on my roof.
    Freaked my wife out. I knew what it was. Told her to stay inside, and that they could 'see' us in the house.

It happened again two nights later.

They just saw the heat signature and were checking it out. Probably one of the few heat signatures for miles around.

I'd never ride on a crash hawk willingly. Pulled six bodies out of a lake near Ft Sill, once upon a time. Jesus nut has a way of coming loose, was what I was told. Not sure of the veracity of that, but there were a string of crashes when they came out.
    I'll take a UH-1 any day. Strong, robust bird.

As mentioned above, the Chithook is it's own thing. Those guys should all be locked up in a loony bin. Give'em all nice jackets with extra long sleeves.

No matter. My days of riding in a rotary wing aircraft are long past.

I don't even like fixed wings anymore.

I'll keep my feet planted firmly on terra firma. ThankYouVeryMuch.

Heard the Apache suffers from a similar nut problem.

And heard the Chinook pilots are the loose nuts on board those airframes.

981GT4

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 31, 2016
    Slidell, LA
    Apache and Cobra are the same frame, right? 2 seater gun ships with gunner in front, pilot in the rear seat?

there both two seaters but look completely different.

cobra is two blades slim profile, and has no wheel landing gears , they are skid pads.
    ah1helo012217.jpg

And apache;
    ah-64-apache-1500.jpg

Top Bottom