Curfews!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    Yepper.

In Jefferson Parish gun shops are required to close 36 hours before landfall of a named storm.

It'd be political suicide, and possibly literally homicide, to restrict the sale of gasoline.

Curfews are common, and a good thing.

My Walmart doesn't sell dynamite, so that doesn't really affect me.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Yepper.

In Jefferson Parish gun shops are required to close 36 hours before landfall of a named storm.

It'd be political suicide, and possibly literally homicide, to restrict the sale of gasoline.

Curfews are common, and a good thing.

My Walmart doesn't sell dynamite, so that doesn't really affect me.

What’s good about a Curfew?

Trailboss

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Norwood LA
    This is America. If you live in Abita Springs, take steps to change the ordinance. If petitions, lawsuits and elections fail get it changed, decide whether you want to move or stay.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

I share your concern. I think most have figured out I’m usually anti- anything that restricts freedom. I think the ability to declare a state of emergency or basically declaring martial law should be narrowly defined, but when necessary martial law and curfews makes it easier to protect the people and their interests. During a curfew anyone not in uniform gives probable cause to those tasked with protecting us. It also decreases traffic and movement in an area freeing up roadways, reducing response times, cutting down on the need for traffic enforcement, and allowing LEO’s to focus on protection.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I too resent restriction of freedoms. None of those things mentioned in the ordinance compares to the gun grabbing that went on in NOLA post Katrina. There was a state of emergency that basically became marshal law. Same thing in Boston after the marathon bombing, to catch a single terrorist. But guess what. The laws didn’t cover the actions taken in either case.
    My point is, they will do what they like during times like those. No amount of voting is gonna fix that.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I share your concern. I think most have figured out I’m usually anti- anything that restricts freedom. I think the ability to declare a state of emergency or basically declaring martial law should be narrowly defined, but when necessary martial law and curfews makes it easier to protect the people and their interests. During a curfew anyone not in uniform gives probable cause to those tasked with protecting us. It also decreases traffic and movement in an area freeing up roadways, reducing response times, cutting down on the need for traffic enforcement, and allowing LEO’s to focus on protection.

Perfect answer. You have been on a roll lately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    To keep the roads clear for emergency personnel.

Quick reply because this is off topic: I will never feel forced to follow a Curfew. If a Curfew is in effect I won’t joy ride around but, I will go get things I need and or check on family.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Perfect answer. You have been on a roll lately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I appreciate it.

Its like this, I’m an extreme ideologue, but as a libertarian the main purpose of the government is to protect its citizens. Under certain circumstances where public safety is at greater risk martial law/curfews can be the easiest and least intrusive way to protect the public. It’s definitely an infringement on people’s freedoms, but there is a balance that has to be met. And martial law/curfews are and should be extremely limited and strictly scrutinized. There are are few who are as suspicious of those who want to be in charge as I am.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Quick reply because this is off topic: I will never feel forced to follow a Curfew. If a Curfew is in effect I won’t joy ride around but, I will go get things I need and or check on family.

Yeah and I don’t think that is out of line, I think if you can muster up a half believable story about why you are out, then reasonable people should be able to reach reasonable conclusions.

meauxcg

Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    May 27, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Curfews are common, and a good thing..

UH..NO. In what world is restricting your constitutional rights EVER a good thing. I DO NOT abide by ANY curfew and make it known when I am stopped. They pulled that BS during Gustov.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    UH..NO. In what world is restricting your constitutional rights EVER a good thing. I DO NOT abide by ANY curfew and make it known when I am stopped. They pulled that BS during Gustov.

See the above replies.

Curfews are a tool used very rarely to protect citizens. They aren't in place to restrict rights. Anyone with a good reason to be out and about during a curfew won't have a problem. "Muh Rights" isn't a good reason.

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.

To keep the roads clear for emergency personnel.

That is your prerogative, but realize:

After Katrina, there was no jail. They used chain link kennels at the train depot to hold prisoners. Those prisoners received swift trials, about a month later when the judges started returning to the city.

You might beat the charges, but do you really want to sit in a dog kennel, in the heat, in the weather, for a month, while you wait for your day in court ?

On the other hand, you might be mistaken for a looter after dark, shot, and never heard from again. Except by the crabs in lower St. Bernard.

Your decision.

Personally, I think a responsible person can take care of all of their necessary business during daylight hours. Only a medical emergency would force me to break curfew.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    See the above replies.

Curfews are a tool used very rarely to protect citizens. They aren't in place to restrict rights. Anyone with a good reason to be out and about during a curfew won't have a problem. "Muh Rights" isn't a good reason.

It would be an annoying reason. Not necessarily wrong, just annoying. The curfew acts as an extra tool for officers at that point to sort through the good, bad and annoying. If you are out during a curfew expect to have a convo with a LEO. PS: don’t be a dick when they stop you. They have enough crap to deal with during storms.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    That is your prerogative, but realize:

After Katrina, there was no jail. They used chain link kennels at the train depot to hold prisoners. Those prisoners received swift trials, about a month later when the judges started returning to the city.

You might beat the charges, but do you really want to sit in a dog kennel, in the heat, in the weather, for a month, while you wait for your day in court ?

On the other hand, you might be mistaken for a looter after dark, shot, and never heard from again. Except by the crabs in lower St. Bernard.

Your decision.

Personally, I think a responsible person can take care of all of their necessary business during daylight hours. Only a medical emergency would force me to break curfew.

I disagree on responsible people being able to get everything done during daylight hours. That’s just not always gonna be the case. I also think location is a big factor on a good enough reason for me personally to break curfew. Were I live I wouldn’t fear for my safety driving around, but I wouldn’t go walking far from my house. Again curfews are a good tool to temporarily bring a little bit of order to a chaotic time, so staying off the roads and close to home to help cut down on unnecessary contact helps allow emergency personal to focus on the more important needs. Another words I need a excuse to go joy riding.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    It would be an annoying reason. Not necessarily wrong, just annoying. The curfew acts as an extra tool for officers at that point to sort through the good, bad and annoying. If you are out during a curfew expect to have a convo with a LEO. PS: don’t be a dick when they stop you. They have enough crap to deal with during storms.

If there is a curfew in place and someone intentionally goes out driving around, they are breaking the law. An excuse of "exercising muh rights, curfew be illegal" could yield shiny new bracelets and a free ride to somewhere less pleasant. On the contrary, if you are coming from / going to work or are going somewhere where you have a valid reason, it's more likely that you'll be told okay, well please try to stay off the roads and be safe.

Driving around and protesting a curfew is similar to walking around in a Walmart with an AR - it's stupid and is likely illegal.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom