LEO’s Carrying 1911’s

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • local2fed

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Hey guys.... currently on vacay in Homer, Alaska and the local Pd is carrying 1911’s. Much more rare these days. I now call Austin home and the suburb S.O. also allows guys to carry 1911’s. This seems to be dwindling across the country , but it’s always nice to see from time to time.

Last edited:

dsonyay

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 15, 2007
    Broussard, LA
    I remember being in Galveston once (around 2002) and spotted a couple of police detectives in regular civilian clothes wearing 1911s. Looked so old school. Loved it.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I was told that a 1911 wasn't approved because it was too intimidating to the public for me to have a cocked 1911 in a holster.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    94   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    prob cause they can go full semi auto!!!! I hear those things are dangerous :mamoru:

https://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?183034-Full-Semi-Auto-Rifle

I haven't seen them carried in about 10yrs, We did have the Honorable HARRY BRIGNAC in my local town of French settlement carry a colt double eagle but im sure no body else will carry one there cause he refused to turn it in and said he lost it when he got fired/retired lol.. all though we were also missing generators, boat motors, computers and every thing else our tax money bought that is now "missing" and yes the town of French settlement paid for his colt double eagle lol

Last edited:

local2fed

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Grizzly country Bruh.....

Definitely .... we didn’t see much action until we hoped over to Kodiak island though. The warm weather here as then moving slow. Lots of open carry here as well. 10mm is def the way to go in bear country . I have the 365 stuffed in the boot and I feel thats not much better then a sharp stick around these parts.

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you

Definitely .... we didn’t see much action until we hoped over to Kodiak island though. The warm weather here as then moving slow. Lots of open carry here as well. 10mm is def the way to go in bear country . I have the 365 stuffed in the boot and I feel thats not much better then a sharp stick around these parts.

I’m not sure I can get behind the 10mm. I’m not one to quote conventional wisdom but 44mag with hard cast 300+ grain bullets has been the minimum for years when it comes to grizzly. Most ammo I find has 3x the energy in 44mag compared to 10mm. I don’t know maybe it’s enough. A well placed 9mm is better than a 500 that misses but duress is a factor. I’ve been wrong before and I’m sure it will happen again.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I’m not sure I can get behind the 10mm. I’m not one to quote conventional wisdom but 44mag with hard cast 300+ grain bullets has been the minimum for years when it comes to grizzly. Most ammo I find has 3x the energy in 44mag compared to 10mm. I don’t know maybe it’s enough. A well placed 9mm is better than a 500 that misses but duress is a factor. I’ve been wrong before and I’m sure it will happen again.

Of course a 44 mag has more energy than a 10mm but what 44 round has more than 2,000 ft-lbs energy (your quote of 3X the energy of a 10mm).
    The 10mm also carries 15 rounds with a quick 15 round reload?

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Of course a 44 mag has more energy than a 10mm but what 44 round has more than 2,000 ft-lbs energy (your quote of 3X the energy of a 10mm).
    The 10mm also carries 15 rounds with a quick 15 round reload?

As I’m sure you can tell, I’m conflicted on this subject. Typically I’m all about placement and repeatability, but something about a 1,000lb grizzly makes me question myself. The low likelihood of even a 9mm not encouraging a bear to go somewhere else, is a point worth making.

I muffed the numbers on muzzle energy those hard cast hover in the 1600ft/lb range. I thought about that shortly after I posted and kind of shook my head. It’s closer to twice as much. (Edit: my disclaimer about having been wrong before was apparently foreshadowing.)

Sorry for highjacking.

Last edited:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Based on that article repeatability is king. Either way a 5 round s&w m69 potentially loses both arguments to most 10mm semiautomatics.

Killing a bear that close with a few shots from a 9mm handgun is quite impressive. The caliber debate isn’t really relevant due to the fact that he was using appropriate ammo for the task.

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    Doesn’t matter. Just be sure to count your rounds and save one for yourself if need be. No need to be eaten alive. :mamoru:

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

Attachments

• kodiak.jpg
      kodiak.jpg
      55.6 KB · Views: 146

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Killing a bear that close with a few shots from a 9mm handgun is quite impressive. The caliber debate isn’t really relevant due to the fact that he was using appropriate ammo for the task.
    The hard cast ammo made it possible. But when you make a kill shot on a wild animal it doesn’t guarantee a DRT event. If you want that you have to hit the CNS with enough force that it incapacitates them. That bear took a barrage of bullets before he went down. It even had enough strength left to flee after multiple bullet wounds. I’m not suggesting be stingy with the lead but every millisecond the bear continues to breath it’s a danger to you. I don't know the right balance between repeatability and horsepower, but there is a balance somewhere.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    The hard cast ammo made it possible. But when you make a kill shot on a wild animal it doesn’t guarantee a DRT event. If you want that you have to hit the CNS with enough force that it incapacitates them. That bear took a barrage of bullets before he went down. It even had enough strength left to flee after multiple bullet wounds. I’m not suggesting be stingy with the lead but every millisecond the bear continues to breath it’s a danger to you. I don't know the right balance between repeatability and horsepower, but there is a balance somewhere.

With a bear....Take the bone shots...I hit mine with 2 45/70's and finished it off with a 300 win mag....Tough tough animals !

Top Bottom