MCTA this sunday.. Anyone coming?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boston1809

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2019
    New Orleans, LA
    Since the title of this thread is appropriate, I thought I'd go ahead and ask:

Anyone want to head out to MCTA on Sunday? I'm happy to use my free guest pass if someone is looking to try before they join. I went last weekend on Sunday, and despite the rain and cold, I had a great time. This coming Sunday looks a lot better weather wise, so it might be more crowded, but if anyone is interested, I thought I'd throw it out there. Got some steel targets I'm excited to miss on the 200 yard range :)

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Since the title of this thread is appropriate, I thought I'd go ahead and ask:

Anyone want to head out to MCTA on Sunday? I'm happy to use my free guest pass if someone is looking to try before they join. I went last weekend on Sunday, and despite the rain and cold, I had a great time. This coming Sunday looks a lot better weather wise, so it might be more crowded, but if anyone is interested, I thought I'd throw it out there. Got some steel targets I'm excited to miss on the 200 yard range :)

What time were you there? I showed up early in the morning and was the only person out there, except for the one guy leaving when I showed up.

Boston1809

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2019
    New Orleans, LA
    What time were you there? I showed up early in the morning and was the only person out there, except for the one guy leaving when I showed up.

I think I rolled in about 11:30 or so. There was a father/son there finishing up on the pistol range, and then they shot a few benches down from me on the 200 yard range for a while. It was definitely a slow day!

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I want to try out MCTA, but it is so far away. Palo Alto is almost as far. I am not a fan of Sherburne. I wish we had something decent close to BR

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    I plan to go back but this Sunday is 3 gun a little north in Poplarville.
    I'm not a fan of public ranges but we enjoy MCTA enough to plan to return.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I think I rolled in about 11:30 or so. There was a father/son there finishing up on the pistol range, and then they shot a few benches down from me on the 200 yard range for a while. It was definitely a slow day!

Ah yea, I was gone by 10. I had the entire place to myself.

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    My son and I tried couple of weekends ago(first time) and had to leave before we shot because my son had work that afternoon.
    What I did notice was a lot of lanes not being used at the pistol range and when I asked I was told they were in use.....but not being used??? We waited about an hour then ran out of time.
    I am making some portable metal targets from some scrap from my buddies welding shop and from work. We do plan to try again, maybe go real early or something.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    My son and I tried couple of weekends ago(first time) and had to leave before we shot because my son had work that afternoon.
    What I did notice was a lot of lanes not being used at the pistol range and when I asked I was told they were in use.....but not being used??? We waited about an hour then ran out of time.
    I am making some portable metal targets from some scrap from my buddies welding shop and from work. We do plan to try again, maybe go real early or something.

Sometimes the lanes are booked for classes or members. MCTA is a private range first with public range hours on the weekend. Getting a membership is worth it.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Am thinking of joining but really want to understand how it works.
    As a member I’d get 24/7 access?
    Is there a vetting process?
    I have no issues with that but I’d really like to know that anyone I’m shooting next to has fundamentals down before they have such broad access.
    The website is vague.
    Any input appreciated.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Am thinking of joining but really want to understand how it works.
    As a member I’d get 24/7 access?
    Is there a vetting process?
    I have no issues with that but I’d really like to know that anyone I’m shooting next to has fundamentals down before they have such broad access.
    The website is vague.
    Any input appreciated.

When you go to the range as a non-member, you will be required to sign the waiver on the iPad. Everything is digital. You will fill everything out and take a photo. They are fairly lax out there and come around every now and then to check out you. There are no RO's hounding you 24/7 like you find at public ranges. There are usually many members there that will tell you something if they see something wrong.

When you become a member, you will either sign up at the range or sign up online. You will have to attend a public hours day at the range to sign a new waiver as a member and take a photo for your range ID. It's so they can track members and require you to show membership if you're out there on non-public days. You will be given the gate code and given all of the range rules and whatnot after you go through all of that.

I've yet to see anyone be unsafe out there. They are good at keeping the riff raff out and I'm sure the location is enough deterrent for the masses.

It's very likely that when you become a member and go out on a members only day, you will be the only person there or there will be knowledgeable persons in other bays. A lot of USPSA and 3 Gun shooters are out there often. Just some food for thought, if you're out at a private range in the middle of nowhere, it's best to keep a first aid kit and trauma kit with you. I've already cut my finger open grabbing a wooden target stand that had a piece of jacket stuck in it.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    When you go to the range as a non-member, you will be required to sign the waiver on the iPad. Everything is digital. You will fill everything out and take a photo. They are fairly lax out there and come around every now and then to check out you. There are no RO's hounding you 24/7 like you find at public ranges. There are usually many members there that will tell you something if they see something wrong.

When you become a member, you will either sign up at the range or sign up online. You will have to attend a public hours day at the range to sign a new waiver as a member and take a photo for your range ID. It's so they can track members and require you to show membership if you're out there on non-public days. You will be given the gate code and given all of the range rules and whatnot after you go through all of that.

I've yet to see anyone be unsafe out there. They are good at keeping the riff raff out and I'm sure the location is enough deterrent for the masses.

It's very likely that when you become a member and go out on a members only day, you will be the only person there or there will be knowledgeable persons in other bays. A lot of USPSA and 3 Gun shooters are out there often. Just some food for thought, if you're out at a private range in the middle of nowhere, it's best to keep a first aid kit and trauma kit with you. I've already cut my finger open grabbing a wooden target stand that had a piece of jacket stuck in it.

Much appreciated.
    I always have medical supplies with me as a matter of course but the mention of such is good advice.

Be well.

BrandonPle

Gunlover
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    Watson
    With honey island range closed for high water mcta can get busy quick on the weekends.
    Be there for 10 am or be prepared to wait for a shooting lane.

Boston1809

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2019
    New Orleans, LA
    With honey island range closed for high water mcta can get busy quick on the weekends.
    Be there for 10 am or be prepared to wait for a shooting lane.

So, you were 100% correct about this, especially with the nice weather today. It was busy at MCTA for sure, but it looked like a lot of that might have been events of some kind going on? Or maybe some kind of classes/training. Either way, I got some shooting done, which is all I'm after. I might start trying to get there earlier though, it was jumping at 11am. Thanks for the heads up!

Boston1809

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2019
    New Orleans, LA
    MCTA rocks, but for sure now a beginner range.

I haven't been in a few weeks, but since my work travel is shut down was thinking of heading there for a weekday visit as a member. Are you talking about more non-members being there on the weekend, or is there something up during the week as well? Not trying to be difficult, just want to know before I decide if I should make the drive. Thanks!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I haven't been in a few weeks, but since my work travel is shut down was thinking of heading there for a weekday visit as a member. Are you talking about more non-members being there on the weekend, or is there something up during the week as well? Not trying to be difficult, just want to know before I decide if I should make the drive. Thanks!

MCTA is only open to non-members on the weekend.

Boston1809

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2019
    New Orleans, LA
    MCTA is only open to non-members on the weekend.

Sorry, yes, I asked my question badly. I'm a member, I just haven't had a chance to go during the week since I joined due to my travel schedule. As you can imagine, my travel is... non existent right now. So I was trying to figure out if there was something that had changed at MCTA during the week, or if it was just "Hey, there's a lot of new shooters there on the weekend and that's why the person above called it a beginner range." I was just making sure that they haven't changed policies or anything. Thanks!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Sorry, yes, I asked my question badly. I'm a member, I just haven't had a chance to go during the week since I joined due to my travel schedule. As you can imagine, my travel is... non existent right now. So I was trying to figure out if there was something that had changed at MCTA during the week, or if it was just "Hey, there's a lot of new shooters there on the weekend and that's why the person above called it a beginner range." I was just making sure that they haven't changed policies or anything. Thanks!

Week days are the best days to go!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom