Join BayouShooter For Free

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Prolly another 2 or 3 weeks ill be going back. Picked up another rifle yesterday unexpectedly so....
    If you are so proud of where you're from that you fly your flag everywhere, please go back there. Your flag offends me! American lives Matter!

Support LEO........
    Provide Backup!

Marksman

User Info Menu

come on man... do we honestly expect to pick up any guns we get these days lol

Quote Originally Posted by KDerekT83 View Post
    Prolly another 2 or 3 weeks ill be going back. Picked up another rifle yesterday unexpectedly so....

Marksman

User Info Menu

haha. yeah I traded a m16 clone I built for a 10.5" pistol with a brake on it. Pretty sure it's going to be an attention whore. I'm gonna have to make sure there is nobody shooting next to me before I rack this thing. lol....
    If you are so proud of where you're from that you fly your flag everywhere, please go back there. Your flag offends me! American lives Matter!

Support LEO........
    Provide Backup!

User Info Menu

Sorry for the kind of random thread bump, but I headed out to MCTA on Sunday with a friend and had a great time. I verified that my rifle was sighted in properly, and that therefore my inability to hit at 200 yards was me, not the gun Looking forward to missing at 300 yards when they open that range up!

MCTA had a little bit of everything, and I signed up for a membership so if I ever do have time on the weekdays, I can just head out there. Thanks to all of the folks here who suggested trying it out, it wasn't a bad drive from New Orleans at all.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Myself and a buddy went a few weeks back and had a great day.
    Will be back.
    Wish I lived closer!

Marksman

User Info Menu

yeah. I was living in Harvey at the time I made this post. I'm living in Gonzales now, and don't have a clue of any outdoor ranges near by, so i've been focusing on building another rifle. I'd like to meet up with someone/people and find a outdoor range to go have fun at. I don't even know anyone out here. I literally only talk to my wife since moving. When I sold my race car to cover moving expenses I found out who my real friends were, and who just hung out cause of a damn car. Its pretty sad to be honest.

Support LEO........
    Provide Backup!

Marksman

User Info Menu

What are the initial fees? Is it members only? Would I be able to draw and fire or just point and shoot? Are there obstacles and structures?
    Me and my son so want to check it out.
    I've read here that you are supervised at first, is that true? I'm also not opposed to being supervised either.
    Last edited by Rocko68; January 14th, 2020 at 07:47 PM.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KDerekT83 View Post
    yeah. I was living in Harvey at the time I made this post. I'm living in Gonzales now, and don't have a clue of any outdoor ranges near by, so i've been focusing on building another rifle. I'd like to meet up with someone/people and find a outdoor range to go have fun at. I don't even know anyone out here. I literally only talk to my wife since moving. When I sold my race car to cover moving expenses I found out who my real friends were, and who just hung out cause of a damn car. Its pretty sad to be honest.
    I think the only options close to you now are Palo Alto (members only) across the river and Nicks. There’s also the Ascension Sheriffs range, but I think it’s only open a couple of days a month to the public. I go to either Sherburne or to Bedico Shooting grounds. If you want to shoot in BR, most of the easy options are indoors.
    Sara mo ki kara ochiru

User Info Menu

Guests can shoot Friday/Saturday/Sunday at MCTA for a $10 fee. They ask you to fill out some basic information and accept a waiver. After that, it seems to be pretty much police yourselves. There was an RSO who was keeping an eye on things, but not "supervising". I suspect if I or my friend had done anything unsafe, we would have been spoken to quickly, but it is definitely a range where they expect you to know what you're doing. I didn't see any restrictions on drawing from the holster and at least one of the guys on the pistol range next to me was doing that, and there were several ranges with various types of barricades and terrain to work with. I stuck to one of the pistol ranges and the 200 yard rifle range, so it is possible you needed to qualify or get permission to use the more specialized ranges. There were folks working in pairs on some of the more tactical looking ranges and what looked like at least one lesson going on as well. All this was on a Sunday afternoon, and it was busy-ish, but I didn't have any trouble as a guest getting a lane anywhere.

In terms of cost, I paid $160 for a 6 month membership, and there was no sign up fee or anything else. I filled out the same form again, this time as a member not a guest, and that was it.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1809 View Post
    Guests can shoot Friday/Saturday/Sunday at MCTA for a $10 fee. They ask you to fill out some basic information and accept a waiver. After that, it seems to be pretty much police yourselves. There was an RSO who was keeping an eye on things, but not "supervising". I suspect if I or my friend had done anything unsafe, we would have been spoken to quickly, but it is definitely a range where they expect you to know what you're doing. I didn't see any restrictions on drawing from the holster and at least one of the guys on the pistol range next to me was doing that, and there were several ranges with various types of barricades and terrain to work with. I stuck to one of the pistol ranges and the 200 yard rifle range, so it is possible you needed to qualify or get permission to use the more specialized ranges. There were folks working in pairs on some of the more tactical looking ranges and what looked like at least one lesson going on as well. All this was on a Sunday afternoon, and it was busy-ish, but I didn't have any trouble as a guest getting a lane anywhere.

In terms of cost, I paid $160 for a 6 month membership, and there was no sign up fee or anything else. I filled out the same form again, this time as a member not a guest, and that was it.

Thank you.