MCTA this sunday.. Anyone coming?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    So im bringing my step-father, a co-worker and his son to MCTA this Sunday. They have never been to a range and shot a rifle before so I'll basically be playing basics/begginers instructor all day while zero'ing a couple fresh AR builds myself. Anyone else going to be there? Wouldn't mind putting some more faces to some of the names on here I dont already know.

Last edited:

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    I've been wanting to go check them out for a long time but can't seem to make it happen.
    They are about 2 hrs away so that doesn't help.
    Hope yall enjoy it, I've heard only good things.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Ive been many times and enjoy myself every time. I love the relaxed atmosphere. Park, go give the man in charge your 10 bucks and be left alone pretty much all day unless something stupid happens. Its definately a big boy range where you're expected to act as such. I love it.

bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    I have a few builds that I need to sight in too... maybe if the weather holds for this weekend.

Boston1809

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2019
    New Orleans, LA
    Sorry for the kind of random thread bump, but I headed out to MCTA on Sunday with a friend and had a great time. I verified that my rifle was sighted in properly, and that therefore my inability to hit at 200 yards was me, not the gun :) Looking forward to missing at 300 yards when they open that range up!

MCTA had a little bit of everything, and I signed up for a membership so if I ever do have time on the weekdays, I can just head out there. Thanks to all of the folks here who suggested trying it out, it wasn't a bad drive from New Orleans at all.

SMR412

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 30, 2014
    P-ville
    Myself and a buddy went a few weeks back and had a great day.
    Will be back.
    Wish I lived closer!

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    yeah. I was living in Harvey at the time I made this post. I'm living in Gonzales now, and don't have a clue of any outdoor ranges near by, so i've been focusing on building another rifle. I'd like to meet up with someone/people and find a outdoor range to go have fun at. I don't even know anyone out here. I literally only talk to my wife since moving. When I sold my race car to cover moving expenses I found out who my real friends were, and who just hung out cause of a damn car. Its pretty sad to be honest.

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    What are the initial fees? Is it members only? Would I be able to draw and fire or just point and shoot? Are there obstacles and structures?
    Me and my son so want to check it out.
    I've read here that you are supervised at first, is that true? I'm also not opposed to being supervised either.

Last edited:

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    yeah. I was living in Harvey at the time I made this post. I'm living in Gonzales now, and don't have a clue of any outdoor ranges near by, so i've been focusing on building another rifle. I'd like to meet up with someone/people and find a outdoor range to go have fun at. I don't even know anyone out here. I literally only talk to my wife since moving. When I sold my race car to cover moving expenses I found out who my real friends were, and who just hung out cause of a damn car. Its pretty sad to be honest.

I think the only options close to you now are Palo Alto (members only) across the river and Nicks. There’s also the Ascension Sheriffs range, but I think it’s only open a couple of days a month to the public. I go to either Sherburne or to Bedico Shooting grounds. If you want to shoot in BR, most of the easy options are indoors.

Boston1809

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2019
    New Orleans, LA
    Guests can shoot Friday/Saturday/Sunday at MCTA for a $10 fee. They ask you to fill out some basic information and accept a waiver. After that, it seems to be pretty much police yourselves. There was an RSO who was keeping an eye on things, but not "supervising". I suspect if I or my friend had done anything unsafe, we would have been spoken to quickly, but it is definitely a range where they expect you to know what you're doing. I didn't see any restrictions on drawing from the holster and at least one of the guys on the pistol range next to me was doing that, and there were several ranges with various types of barricades and terrain to work with. I stuck to one of the pistol ranges and the 200 yard rifle range, so it is possible you needed to qualify or get permission to use the more specialized ranges. There were folks working in pairs on some of the more tactical looking ranges and what looked like at least one lesson going on as well. All this was on a Sunday afternoon, and it was busy-ish, but I didn't have any trouble as a guest getting a lane anywhere.

In terms of cost, I paid $160 for a 6 month membership, and there was no sign up fee or anything else. I filled out the same form again, this time as a member not a guest, and that was it.

Rocko68

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 27, 2019
    New Orleans, La
    Guests can shoot Friday/Saturday/Sunday at MCTA for a $10 fee. They ask you to fill out some basic information and accept a waiver. After that, it seems to be pretty much police yourselves. There was an RSO who was keeping an eye on things, but not "supervising". I suspect if I or my friend had done anything unsafe, we would have been spoken to quickly, but it is definitely a range where they expect you to know what you're doing. I didn't see any restrictions on drawing from the holster and at least one of the guys on the pistol range next to me was doing that, and there were several ranges with various types of barricades and terrain to work with. I stuck to one of the pistol ranges and the 200 yard rifle range, so it is possible you needed to qualify or get permission to use the more specialized ranges. There were folks working in pairs on some of the more tactical looking ranges and what looked like at least one lesson going on as well. All this was on a Sunday afternoon, and it was busy-ish, but I didn't have any trouble as a guest getting a lane anywhere.

In terms of cost, I paid $160 for a 6 month membership, and there was no sign up fee or anything else. I filled out the same form again, this time as a member not a guest, and that was it.

Thank you.

Top Bottom