New barrel design means sub 3/8MOA and zero harmonics

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    In my latest research for the perfect barrel I came across this structured barrel design from tacomhq. They do not make barrels in house but can apply these modifications to almost any caliber barrel with enough diameter to machine mods.

They say these modifications eliminate barrel harmonics (science backed evidence) which basically means an accurate faster cooling and longer lasting barrel For anyone that shoots this is definitely worth a look. Their website has a few more mods (for more money) also. Makes me want to order some oversized blanks and get to machining.

Side note: Tacomhq is worth checking out they offer more than just this barrel and are full of real world experience (combat, military, shooting, training ect) with science backed research.

(Pics from Vestals custom rifles find them on your preferred social media with excerpt from tacomhq)

"56% stiffer for the WEIGHT
    20% lighter for the same STIFFNESS
    38% lighter for the same FREQUENCY

This is a large diameter, multi-hole hyper rigid barrel that have virtually no barrel whip and are harmonically dead.
    This is an aftermarket solution that creates a multi-hole ("I-Beam") Structure that both reinforces the main chamber and adds up to 500% more surface area for cooling (depending on selected add-ons). Structured Barrels take advantage of a physics principle called axial compression enabling operators to shoot sub 3/8 MOA across a wide variety of calibers, munitions, and grain weights with little to no load development, which results in less time and money spent at the range.

Structured Barrels also self-cool from the negative pressure generated by the bullet passing through the muzzle that pulls cool air through breather ports up its neck, cooling it from the inside. To further increases performance, tacomHQ optionally cuts a dense fin pattern in varying lengths, directions, and pitches with a sandblast finish to add more surface area and deaden surface translated harmonics, making it ideal for PRS, light, and heavy machine guns.
    Structured Barrels run cooler so their life is significantly prolonged. By better controlling critical thermodynamic transition points, end users see remarkably less throat erosion, fire cracking, and gas jetting compared to a non-Structured Barrel. "

www.tacomHQ.com

Thoughts ?
    b4468c1d033d2e19a6751aba3bf5cb12.jpg
    70eea6455a7e1c6c4e1373f7f5664a2d.jpg
    54bfbf396d66dbde98184886b96f0216.jpg
    9f4c94e9836158a6f3b67589c26368d5.jpg
    2ec074f474f8bb1748ef82e886de3489.jpg
    1023720d49f12e36ab323a2096cfb204.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

CG&L

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2016
    Pine Grove, La
    Rifle accuracy isn't that complex. Start with a decent trued action. A Remington 700 is a hunting action and look at how many world records it's set. If you want a step up from a 700, take a look at Defiance.
    For barrel accuracy. it's about the chambering and not having any constrictions in the barrel. The grove diameter can constrict a little for the last 3 to 4 inches but that's about it.
    No matter what kind of action and barrel you have, the bullet must have a high BC. Wind is the problem once the bullet leaves the barrel

This company that John Baker started must have extreme government(taxpayer) funding. They can do the craziest, most expensive projects with no thought of any of the products making any kind of money. Almost every project they pursue is a massive money blackhole. Very few projects are really innovative and there's nothing new about a 'structured barrel'

John Baker's company is nothing more than a taxpayer funded hog trough and none of their products will ever be 'game changers'.

Last edited:

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    I know tacomhq for developing the Charlie TARAC, the tech purportedly responsible for the record-setting 2.2-mile Canadian sniper kill by Joint Task Force 2 and this structured barrel which I've been following for some time it's been out for years. I'm sure you are right about being government funded most if not everything they produce is used by tier 1 guys and militaries around the world.

I mean who's not familiar with the old tried and true method of blueprinting actions for accuracy and building from the ground up I believe cnc is the future when it comes to truing up anything hell I've built a few rifles in my almost 15 years as a gunsmith (not just parts swapping or slapping together ARs although fun). I'm all for new and innovative things though especially when this barrel design has praises from top barrel manufacturers Hell if I had Tim North and John Krieger gave me stamps of approval calling my design "the biggest advancement in barrels in decades" best believe I'd have government funding .

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    From a science perspective isn’t air the best known insulator?

Are those 8 or 9 bores in the barrel surrounding the actual bore able to flow air from end to end? If not I’m not sure it’s any better at dissipating heat than solid metal probably worse. It would weigh less which is a big plus if you are jumping across any terrain. I’ll hold off judgement till I know and understand more but I wonder if this is a solution looking for the right problem.

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    From a science perspective isn’t air the best known insulator?

Are those 8 or 9 bores in the barrel surrounding the actual bore able to flow air from end to end? If not I’m not sure it’s any better at dissipating heat than solid metal probably worse. It would weigh less which is a big plus if you are jumping across any terrain. I’ll hold off judgement till I know and understand more but I wonder if this is a solution looking for the right problem.
    They have drilled what I would call and looks like port holes near the chamber end of barrel into each one of those honeycomb chambers if I read correctly and in simple terms allows air to be sucked out as bullet exits. In all honesty to the average shooter this is not a cost efficient barrel at all I believe you send your barrel blank into them and they science it up then send it back to you where you still have to final chamber and finish install work.
    I've rough calculated the cost of the barrel and it is literally more than your average person's whole rifle with optics and accessories. I read one of the posts by the owner of tacomhq on reddit and he answers a bunch if questions about the barrel and stated that compared to any other barrel tested of same weight these structured barrels will pretty much will out perform shot for shot and he has tests to back it up

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I recently bought a Tikka in 6.5 CM and put a SWFA 6X scope on it. I put 8 out of ten shots in a group size of under an inch with cheap factory ammo. I'm not a competition shooter, I need to work on my shooting. The rifle has a pencil barrel and is pretty light weight. It shoots good hot or cold.

Point being, don't believe in gimmicks until you can have it proven with repeatable results and understanding all the factors involved.

MTx11B

Combat Vet
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    NOLA
    I dont believe it.. this is another one of his pet projects that will not ever take off.
    Haha you're probably right atleast it's not viable for the average shooter that is happy with their off the shelf accuracy I hear it's got a small following in long range circles such as king of 2 mile club but who knows

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom