Best 1911?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andmess14

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 22, 2016
    Houma, LA
    In my opinion, that would probably be the smith and Wesson pro series or sig sauer traditional stainless match elite. Both are well equipped, including front strap checkering (must have for me). Some people are put off by the external extractors, but I don’t care as long as it runs. I recommend running a high quality magazine with any 1911, but especially 9mm or .40.
    The pro series is either right at your price cap or anpinch over it. The sig can be had for under a grand.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I'm kind of partial to this one. It's been running since 1944 with no issues except it doesn't like hollow points. Has well over 1000 rounds through it. I use Wilson Combat mags in it.

Best? That's a personal choice.

z6m8vohtgaeqyiri5a.jpg

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I would say sig or smith and wesson. See what kimber has to offer but I find them to be overpriced...

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    To me, some of the best are 3000 plus. Ed Brown etc. But hardly anyone has that amount to spend and see you do not. Nor do I
    YOU put a reasonable price range.
    The best for some is Rock Island.
    And everything in between of coarse.
    Lately, I have been looking at 70 series No not the remakes the fit and finish it any Colt 70 in NM is nice.
    And there are like New One's still out there.
    Some brands have a custom shop that has that same fit and finish today but ya gotta pay for it.
    Lots of hand fitting on them. But that is what they did back then.
    Same reason Colt can not make new Pythons they figure no one will pay... I see them at a grand.
    Box stock brand new Springfields, Colt, and many others are in your price range I would look at a few and shoot a few.

Last edited:

El Pozzinator

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Denham springs LA
    I’ve had several Kimber, a Sig, several SAs, and an STI Spartan. Except the STI (9mm) they’ve all been 45. The STI is my range queen for qualifying since I get free 9mm thru work. That thing is an absolute tack-driver and runs flawlessly but it’s seriously picky about magazines. It does not like cheap mags. The most reliable as far as all factors considered has been a tie between my work carry Kimber 5” SIS rail and my former work carry Sig TacPac 5” rail. Neither suffer cheap or worn out mags but both have flawlessly fed and cycled anything I’ve given them. And they’re scary accurate for the price point. If you’re set on 9mm the STI Trojan or Spartan lines might be good bets, and you can usually find them lightly used occasionally for well under a grand.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I'm kind of partial to this one. It's been running since 1944 with no issues except it doesn't like hollow points. Has well over 1000 rounds through it. I use Wilson Combat mags in it.

Best? That's a personal choice.

z6m8vohtgaeqyiri5a.jpg

Like stated earlier . It's a personal choice .

Yup.
    For me it’s Colt. They always retain or go up in value as well. And once you have one, no matter how you race it up or down or not at all, it will always be a Colt. Just keep any takeoff parts in the box in the safe..

SVT Bansheeman

No more laughing dog
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lockport, LA
    Did you ever decide on one yet? I bought my first 1911 last week. I did tons of research. I watched you tube videos, read tons of forum threads on various sites. What I found was people are brand loyal nut swinsers for the most part. Very few people have had the chance to shoot multiple models and even different pistols that are the same model.

People will recommend what they have. I noticed that people will praise the pistol they have but then list everything they changed on it. So to me, it wasn't good enough in the first place.

I was going to buy a $500-$550. Then see what I like and don't like. But I ended up spending around $800 for one with more options. All these fancy options I see won't help me shoot better. Practice will.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Hard question.
    I’ll go Colt just because I collect them.
    Are they the best?
    Who’s to say.
    But I like them.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom