70 Things New LEO Should Know.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    70 things ALL Police rookies should know...

1. Out here, everybody lies.
    2. They lied to you during training.
    3. Never take the word of a drunk person over that of a sober person.
    4. Civilian ride alongs are not your friends.
    5. Sit back and listen to the veterans.
    6. Some night, someone will try to kill you. You do not know when, who or where. Therefore, consider everyone with whom you come in contact to be a potential threat.
    7. If you need help, ask for it.
    8. NEVER, EVER lie.
    9. Have fun with the job and don't take yourself too seriously.
    10. If you think someone is watching you....they are
    11. Go Home At The End Of Your Shift
    12. Pick A Secret Mentor
    13. Develop A "Hand Fetish"- Watch everybody's hands
    14. Report Writing IS "Officer Survival"
    15. Wash Your Hands!
    16. Wear That Geeky Traffic Vest
    17. Have A Life Outside The Job
    18. Trust Your Instincts
    19. Handcuff EVERYBODY / "Search For The BB"
    20. Be Professional And Courteous, But Never Forget The Next Person you Meet You May Have To Kill.
    21. Trust Your Instincts
    22. You've got 30 years to be the Police (depending on your state)...don't try to do everything the first year.
    23. Know where the hell you are in your town/city
    24. Don't let the bastards get you down...the department is probably full of people that like to complain.
    25. When it comes time to lay hands on somebody (and that time WILL come), let your violence be swift and merciless.
    26. Don't talk bad about other officers EVER.
    27. Listen up to the radio and know where the other officers are.
    28. When everyone else in the jurisdiction is shagging paperwork calls, DO NOT stop the car with a out tag light that is being driven by a 60 year old woman who has never ever been stopped by the police before just because you are a little bored.
    29. Murphy was a cop and he likes to do ride-a-longs. If it can go wrong it will.
    30. NEVER eat where you can't see your food being prepared.
    31. Don't hold your flashlight in your weapon hand.
    32. Don't ever tell back-up there not needed even if there from another agency.
    33. Look Good/sharp in uniform
    34. Attitude is everything-
    35. I highly recommend not purchasing expensive writing utensils for patrol work. You will eventually lose them.
    36. You must be alert.
    37. Never let anyone you are questioning or about to stop get in a better position than you and your vehicle.
    38. Is your firearm clean? Will it fire? How about the ammo? When did you last fire so that you can hit a target in combat conditions? What's the sense of carrying any firearm that may not work?
    39. Remember to look up when your out on patrol
    40. Have a SPARE key for every car you THINK you might drive...and keep it ON YOUR PERSON.
    41. Sometimes the bad guy will get away. Sometimes you just can't connect him to the crime. Sometimes he will be out on the street before you report for your next shift. Sometimes prosecution will be declined. RELAX, THERE WILL BE A NEXT TIME.
    42. Think about worst case scenarios, then have a plan to respond. Have a backup plan in case the first one fails. Always leave yourself a way out. There is no such thing as retreat. However, there is nothing wrong with fighting in the opposite direction.
    43. Be nice to everyone you meet. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet
    44. Pay special attention to people who don't want to make eye contact. The ones who give you the "**** you" looks are the ones who probably don't have anything going right then.
    45. Learn to look around at everything quickly and not staring in one place hoping something happens there.
    46. Get out on foot and walk. Perps expect us to be lazy. They never expect us on foot.
    47. When asking for consent to search, watch their eyes. If they have something, the eyes will automatically look at it before they respond.
    48. Be nice to your dispatcher!
    49. NEVER walk up to a vehicle on a traffic stop with a ticket book in your hand. I don't care what your FTO says.
    50. THE PEOPLE THAT YOU GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO "CUT A BREAK" ARE ALWAYS THE ONES WHO COMPLAIN.
    51. THE GUY YOU KNOW PERSONALLY, EXPECTS FAVORS.
    52. Stay in shape.
    53. Keep learning/going to schools/college.
    54. MAKE AND KEEP GOOD RELATIONS WITH OTHER LEO'S. YOU WILL NEED THEM AND THEY WILL NEED YOU. COMMUNICATION BETWEEN AGENCIES IS CRITICAL.
    55. Buy a bag of chewy dog treats in the resalable bag. Great for coaxing a pitbull out of the house you need to get into.
    56. Check the backseat of your squad before you leave the station, and every time you take someone out. You'll be surprised how much dope you find.
    57. Pretty girls have gotten breaks all their lives, so stroke 'em.
    58.Wear your body armor every single day. No matter what, no matter how hot or uncomfortable it gets, or if the other guys tease you. The day you don't wear it could be the day you need it.
    59. Never, never, ever trust ANY member of the news media if you want to stay out of the trick bag.
    60. When on the radio always use your normal tone in your speech! It helps when you call out on traffic or anything and your fellow officers can tell that there is a concerned/excited tone in your voice they will know that something may be up and can start your way.
    61. Personal hygiene is a must. First, you're dealing with the public and they don't need to smell your stinky ass.
    62. Remember, two is one and one is none. Always have at least two flashlights, two pairs of cuffs, two radio batteries because when you need that particular piece of equipment most, it will crap out on you.
    63. Practice, practice, practice. Because the bad guys sure are. They study your holsters and probably know how to get your firearm out quicker than you do.
    64. When you make a traffic stop, don't just give a tag number thinking your dispatcher will get all the pertinent info. from the return. Give a vehicle description. What if that tag doesn't belong on that car? When the driver gets though shooting you, I'd like to be able to at least be looking for the right type of vehicle.
    65. For the love of God, please take all the crap that jingles out of your pockets. I don't want to clear a building with a guy that has $15.00 worth of pennies in his pocket and something resembling a janitor's key ring hanging off his belt.
    66. If you find one weapon always assume there is another
    67. Remember that this is people business. The more details you can recall about people, their families, what they drive, where they work, who they hang with, where they hang, will be so vital in your every day contacts.
    68. Don't let the prospect of a citizen complaint keep you from doing your job. If you're right, don't worry. Some people just love to complain.
    69. Take a bathroom break whenever you can...you never know when that long drawn out call or arrest is going to prevent you from going.
    70. NEVER trust anyone from Internal Affairs

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    71. Don’t get comfortable or dependant financially from working details. You can be injured and relying on that detail money to pay bills or luxuries can disappear at any moment.

KDerekT83

Hobbyist
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    They are all very good points. 63 and 38 got my attention. I had to show a buddy of mine how to completely strip and clean his weapon after he was hired. Apparently, he was issued his Glock and not taught very much, if anything about it... I dont understand this...

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    They are all very good points. 63 and 38 got my attention. I had to show a buddy of mine how to completely strip and clean his weapon after he was hired. Apparently, he was issued his Glock and not taught very much, if anything about it... I dont understand this...

Some do more than others. Denham Springs PD includes this in a class for all new hires.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker

They are normally taught how to shoot but not do any mechanical work.
    Most departments have Armorers and the LEO do not go beyond basic cleaning and do not detail strip their firearms.
    Not necessary very often because most only shoot the P O S T course twice a year.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom